Beware Amazon "Prime"

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Last month Amazon offered me "Amazon Prime" for free. This I'm told was to offer free recorded delivery, I think. I actually don't know what it does except that it was offered me a one month free trial.

Today I see an Amazon Prime charge for £49.00 in my bank account. Now I admit the guy said to me that the small print in the terms and conditions said they would do this if I didn't cancel the service as they would assume it meant I was happy to continue but COME ON, what a rip off. It didn't even do anything different from regular Amazon.

Beware.

I got a refund.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Yep, gotta be careful with that. Fortunately I saw it and cancelled it a couple of days before the end of the trial. Very useful, but I don't really use amazon enough to justify the (yearly I think?) charge. Still, for that month I saw a lot of activity on amazon (housemates also used my trial to get freebie express delivery). Now, if only I could get another trial period.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I used it for the free period and cancelled it, I was off ill for a while and got the next series of the wire sent to me the next day

Boredom crisis averted :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    On a similar subject.... Hey what's the point of a forum if you can't hijack a thread? :twisted:

Ordered 3 DVD sets of a TV show (series 2,3 & 4) from Amazon, but GOT series 3 & 4 with The Big Bottom Box instead of series 2

(TBBB being a compilation of Bottom Live shows, the film and other bits and bobs)

I'm getting the missing DVD set sent and can return TBBB, question is: Do I? It's £15 and basically contains all the best bits of Bottom... I might keep it and pay the charge when they ask in 30 days.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I signed up for it too and cancelled just before the trial period ended. From what I remember, does it not give you next day delivery as well?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    If you order a lot from Amazon and want next day delivery then it's not bad at all.

I cancelled during the trial as well. One good thing about it is if you spill over the trial period and then change your mind, as long as you haven't used any of the Prime services, then when you cancel they give you back your money automatically without having to request a refund.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Last month Amazon offered me "Amazon Prime" for free.

Mum said nothing in life is free. She was right.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I use normal Amazon and free delivery (listed as normally 5-8 days).

I quite often get next day delivery.

Don't see the point in Prime myself.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    used it 2 Xmas ago, signed up for the free trial just before i order my Xmas shopping then cancelled it as soon as i received the email saying items have been despatched.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Last month Amazon offered me "Amazon Prime" for free. This I'm told was to offer free recorded delivery, I think. I actually don't know what it does except that it was offered me a one month free trial.

Today I see an Amazon Prime charge for £49.00 in my bank account. Now I admit the guy said to me that the small print in the terms and conditions said they would do this if I didn't cancel the service as they would assume it meant I was happy to continue but COME ON, what a rip off. It didn't even do anything different from regular Amazon.

Beware.

I got a refund.

So, wait, Amazon did exactly what they said they'd do in the T&Cs that you didn't read and you're complaining? :P

I have Prime, use it as I order a lot from Amazon, and every time they don't deliver within the time frame I complain and they give me £20 off. It's currently costing me about £9 per year, which I reckon is a good deal.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Beware.

I got a refund.

So, wait, Amazon did exactly what they said they'd do in the T&Cs that you didn't read and you're complaining? :P

I have Prime, use it as I order a lot from Amazon, and every time they don't deliver within the time frame I complain and they give me £20 off. It's currently costing me about £9 per year, which I reckon is a good deal.

Smiley-Angry-256x256.png
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Could this explain the recent spate of "special delivery" Amazon parcels I've had to deliver?

Some recipients were confused as to why their delivery was not something I could just pop through the letterbox without a signature (although Amazon book/cd parcelling ios often just that millimetre or two too big to go through).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    All the Prime ones I've had have either been mysterious post, ie normal post that mysteriously arrives in under 24hrs but requires no signature (maybe you can explain that), or couriers.
  • That's why I've always ignored the emails to sign up to amazon prime - I know I'll forget to cancel and then get charged. I've always found the free postage option turns up plenty quick enough.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    edited March 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Beware.

I got a refund.

I have this arguement alot. Just because it is terms and conditions doesn't mean it can overide consumer legislation - if its unfair - then DDD shouldn't have to pay the £50.
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    Kingrollo, he got a refund. Said so in the opening post.
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/subs/primecl ... /main.html
    Don't wait for what you want. Get it fast.

You can find just about anything you're looking for on Amazon.co.uk. And now, you can get it delivered the way you want — fast and free — with Amazon Prime.

Try Amazon Prime free for one month (new members only) and enjoy all the benefits that come with membership. There's no obligation — cancel anytime before your Free Trial is over and you will not be charged the £49.00 annual fee. Learn more

The T&Cs of Amazon Prime are pretty clear and that you have to cancel before the Free Trial is over is explicit in the marketing blurb. I think you'd struggle to argue that this was hidden in the small print given it is clearly mentioned in the sales pitch. So I can't see the grounds on which you'd be able to argue it was unfair. In fact, as DDD got a refund, it seems amazon are behaving extremely well on this.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • DonDaddyD
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/subs/primeclub/signup/main.html
    Don't wait for what you want. Get it fast.

You can find just about anything you're looking for on Amazon.co.uk. And now, you can get it delivered the way you want — fast and free — with Amazon Prime.

Try Amazon Prime free for one month (new members only) and enjoy all the benefits that come with membership. There's no obligation — cancel anytime before your Free Trial is over and you will not be charged the £49.00 annual fee. Learn more

The T&Cs of Amazon Prime are pretty clear and that you have to cancel before the Free Trial is over is explicit in the marketing blurb. I think you'd struggle to argue that this was hidden in the small print given it is clearly mentioned in the sales pitch. So I can't see the grounds on which you'd be able to argue it was unfair. In fact, as DDD got a refund, it seems amazon are behaving extremely well on this.

To be honest they did behave really well about it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382

As I said, even if you cancel after they've charged you, as long as you've haven't made any further use of the Prime service, then they will automatically give you a refund without you having to request it. I'm not aware of any other subscription service that is operated like that.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I am a little confused here. Subject is Beware Amazon Prime.

However, the OP signed up to a one month trial, that they knew they had to cancel or they would be charged, forgot to cancel, and was charged.
    Contacted the supplier, who was as nice as ninepence and refunded the OP his cash.

Should the sunject line not be - Beware Your Own Stupidity?

It does look like Amazon is getting put down for what is the OP's own mistake.

If you sign up for ANY free trial period, and forget to cancel, on your own head be it.

I think here Amazon have behaved perfectly, and should not in any way be castigated.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • DonDaddyD
    I didn't read the small print. Who reads the small print except for my Lawyer girlfriend, her lawyer buddies and corporate bods who don't trust the small print because they themselves have used the small print to shaft others?

The small print is for those who want to seep the fun out of everything and control freaks.

In all fairness though - I think you just posted to take the oppurtunity to call me stupid - I didn't castrate Amazon I was simply raising awareness to others who may have been caught unaware.
    Food Chain number = 4

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I am a little confused here. Subject is Beware Amazon Prime.

However, the OP signed up to a one month trial, that they knew they had to cancel or they would be charged, forgot to cancel, and was charged.
    Contacted the supplier, who was as nice as ninepence and refunded the OP his cash.

Should the sunject line not be - Beware Your Own Stupidity?

It does look like Amazon is getting put down for what is the OP's own mistake.

If you sign up for ANY free trial period, and forget to cancel, on your own head be it.

I think here Amazon have behaved perfectly, and should not in any way be castigated.

Can't agree - they are making money by hoping people will forget to cancel - and not bother to try and get a refund. They think because its T&C'S its all OK.

And in practice the £50 gets you very little.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    - I didn't castrate Amazon I was simply raising awareness to others who may have been caught unaware.

Glad to hear it, that wuld have been a little OTT.