Ricco lovesTifosi/Tifosi loves Ricco

2»

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:
    Geez, the guy served his suspension. What more do you want?

Does everyone have to be David Millar?

Some vague semblence of contrition would be a start. Everything he's said in the last few months has had a Cartmanesque "Screw you guys" feel to it. I have little faith that he's going to be going straight from now on and fully expect to 'excite' the tifosi on the Zoncolan come May.

Of course, maybe the English language cycling media are focusing on the quotes that make him out to be a pantomime villian - in fact I'd expect them to. But I'll be surprised if Ricco's still in the sport by the end of 2012.

Contrition isnt a requirement of his returning to the sport though and why should it be he has served his time he doesnt need to go all apologetic and holier than thou just to satisfy others.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    That's true but when a convicted criminal does not express any remorse for what he's done, it doesn't fill you with confidence that he's not going to re-offend...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • moray_gub
    edited March 2010
    DaveyL wrote:
    That's true but when a convicted criminal does not express any remorse for what he's done, it doesn't fill you with confidence that he's not going to re-offend...

Expressions of remorse in most walks of life are not worth the paper they are written on or the face expressed on to be honest, they are usually said and done to satisfy a particular audience at a particular time,take them with a pinch of salt.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Thanks for the advice, MG.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • moray_gub
    DaveyL wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, MG.

NP anytime.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Expressions of remorse in most walks of life are not worth the paper they are written on or the face expressed on to be honest, they are usually said and done to satisfy a particular audience at a particular time,take them with a pinch of salt.
    Yes, we've all seen the forced apologies. Tiger Woods doing the "I'm sorry" was partially saying "don't cut my sponsorshop deals please".

But some riders have come back, you can take the obvious example of Millar, he is now taking an open stance and spending time working with WADA etc. This is a genuine sign of remorse and reform.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Moray Gub wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Some vague semblence of contrition would be a start. Everything he's said in the last few months has had a Cartmanesque "Screw you guys" feel to it. I have little faith that he's going to be going straight from now on and fully expect to 'excite' the tifosi on the Zoncolan come May.

Of course, maybe the English language cycling media are focusing on the quotes that make him out to be a pantomime villian - in fact I'd expect them to. But I'll be surprised if Ricco's still in the sport by the end of 2012.

Contrition isnt a requirement of his returning to the sport though and why should it be he has served his time he doesnt need to go all apologetic and holier than thou just to satisfy others.

I'm not syaing he shouldn't be allowed back, he should be. I was saying why he gets a lot of antagonism, while the likes of Basso don't.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Yes, we've all seen the forced apologies. Tiger Woods doing the "I'm sorry" was partially saying "don't cut my sponsorshop deals please".

But some riders have come back, you can take the obvious example of Millar, he is now taking an open stance and spending time working with WADA etc. This is a genuine sign of remorse and reform.

But becuase a rider doesnt do that should he be viewed differently and have all and sundry saying he shouldnt be welcomed back etc etc while all the time praising that other dope cheat DM ? Smacks of double standards to me.
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    Moray Gub wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

I agree with both of these statements but if you reverse the order and have the words from DaveyL as the reply to Moray Gubs's words ,it better reflects how I view Riccos attitude.It appears he feels the crime was being caught and not the breach of the rules.If so,and he wants to be really honest, then wouldn't it be a good idea to come out and declare he will from now on 'play by the rules' but wishes to see the rules changed to allow EPO etc etc etc ? :shock: .Just a thought :)
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Beating the system is part of the game... as is pedaling faster than everyone else.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    People handle things differently. Especially stressful things. LA obviously handles things differently that AC, as an example. So I'm not sure why some people expect rider A, who got caught doping, and rider B, also caught, would do exactly the same thing or say the same thing or react in the same way. Some may do more than is required to get "back in"
    others do what they must and no more.
  • come on Riccco i cant wait to see the outrage and spitting. hope he kicks ass i dont think he does more or less than the majority. i dont honestly care that much any more
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Bakunin wrote:
    I understand that he rubs people the wrong way (3rd person silliness) and the stuff with the girlfriend is surreal, but he was suspended and he served that suspension. He is a young (not very bright) guy -- who won fame and money early on.

Why does Ricco have to apologize? Nothing in the UCI rules about that. Shouldn't Basso and Vino apologize as well?

Ricco gave someone up (no points for that?) -- Basso and Vino didn't.

Consistency is important.

Ricco shouldn't have to apologise because of any rule, but simply because it's the right thing to do. He cheated. He got caught. When you;re a kid, if you;re well brought-up, you get taught to apologise for doing something wrong. That way, you're more likely to get a second chance, and more likely to deserve it.

That's why Millar and (admittedly recreational) Boonen get a different reaction to Ricco. They screw up, they admit it. Ricco screws up, makes the fans feel like fools, then rubs their noses in it.

That Basso and Vino are unapologetic isn't a defence for Ricco, it's just another reason to want them out of the sport as well.

I personally find wins by clean riders like Gilbert far more enjoyable than questionable ones.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I with Cav, lets punch Ricco when we see him. He is a true scumbag.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.