is my bike any good

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi all

A pal has just had a garage clear out and gave me the following bike which he has had for about 3 years and only used about a dozen times? I use it for day long rides (forest road/single trak/wild country)and 7stanes.

GT AGGRESSOR XC 2
Deore front/rear derailuer+ shifters
Rockshock 2 forks
Alex DP 17 disc rims with Tioga factory xc 1 rubber
Truvavit chain rings and crank arms
Tektro IO mechanical disc brakes

Any good??? and reccomend up grades if needed without spending a fortune cos I dont have the dosh

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just service it, replace the tyres and cables and away you go. Good starter bike.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Yes, it's a decent starter bike
    I assume you mean rockshox dart 2 forks btw
    if you're upgrading the brake cables aswell as the gear cables, you may as well just get new brakes, as the cables would probably be worth more than the tektro io's
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Sounds like a fine bike for a beginner, far from top spec but not a bad bike, will be perfect to start learning the fundamentals on.

If you find yourself getting into riding it won't be long for you to understand the lingo and you'll want to upgrade most of those parts on the bike, especially the brakes and forks, but then you'd probably be better off saving up a bit of dosh, using this bike to learn on then in a year or so splash out and get something a bit more sturdy and with more potential for upgrade.

Just give it a good service with it being stood in the garage for so long!!! ...Oil the chain, grease up all the moving bits with bearings to make sure they're moving freely, check the brakes etc... All the basic stuff, you'll be able to find out how to do all this maintenance by looking at the sheldon brown website - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

The Sheldon Brown website covers every aspect of bike maintanence, really good website with really usefull stuff, you should give it a read when you got a spare couple of hours!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Gt frame is an excellent one. Just upgrade parts as they wear out and eventually you can get a new frame. Some great frames for not much money now adays! :D
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Nice one , esp being as did cost you any thing, see if you can pick some hydraulic brakes up , second hand may be ? when your up for it,
    been impressed with my GT so far
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Wow, not bad at all for free! Only thing I would consider to be 'below capable' of trail centre riding on there is the brakes, and in time the forks would be a good upgrade.
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    I don't know why the IO's get a slagging off. Once set up perfect there really good.
  • Yep good bike had a gt aggressor as my first bike years back. UIsed it off road for about 2 years upgraded slowly forks wheels etc then got a new frame for MTB and converted the GT to a ridgid single speed for commuting used it for around 6 years untill the misses used it for work one day and got it stolen :x by then it had Hope hubs xt cranks Easton carbo bits ETC.....If you see said bike around Homerton Hospital in hackney knock the little $hit off its a (Medium frame in Yellow) :D
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Good bike. Just get out and ride it.

If you find bits on it you don't like after a few months of riding then look to upgrade them (plus you may well break or wear out some components). For now just get some miles in.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.