Should I return Bike?

johnmw1
johnmw1 Posts: 2
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I bought an ex hire bike from Rutland cycling recently

Giant expression DX

Came with a flat rear tyre,, thought never mind, could do with a spare inner tube, bought new presta tube, fitted it, all OK, just done my first commute (6 miles) and tyre is flat again on new inner tube, chain came off twice & pedals are really slippery, also don't really like the suspension forks, all this is fixable I know, but I don't want to have to spend lots when I've just bought it!

unfortunately I have to shop in the bargain bucket end of the bike spectrum! But my crappy old MTB was better than this!

Am I being unreasonable it being pre-loved and all-that

First post, please be gentle!

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Evening!

Have you checked if there's any glass or other sharp object stuck in the tyre, or if there's any part of the rim which is damaged and might pierce the tube, or if any of the spokes are poking through the rim tape?

Is the chain coming off on the chainrings or the sprockets?

Doesn't sound like you have grounds to return the bike though. But that wouldn't stop me having a right ol' hissy fit at the bike! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Punctures happen, fact of life (ask ITBoffin all about it ;)). It's not really the fault of the bike. As cjcp said, have a check to make sure there's nothing obvious causing continued punctures.

I don't really think it's quite fair to return it to the shop, but if you're unfamiliar with adjusting the gears yourself, perhaps you could pop in and ask that they have a look at them?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I don't really see your justification to take a bike back because of a puncture, as the others say have a really good check that the rim tape is in order, there's nothing sharp in the tyre etc etc.

For the pedals, you can get spiky, grippy pedals very cheaply, like £5, in fact I've probably got some kicking around in a toolbox somewhere - yours for the cost of postage, but this may be more than just buying some!

For the forks, are they lockable? I gather some are...

As far as the chain goes, Aidy is right that you could pop back to the shop and ask them if there's anything that can be done about that.