MTB clubs / riders around Shrewsbury.

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited April 2010 in MTB rides
As of the begining of April I will be working in Shrewsbury for the next couple of years so was hoping to get out and get some miles in around the surrounding area. I live on the North Wales coast so will only be in Shrewsbury during the week.

Does anyone know of any local clubs or meets I could tag along with on weeknights? or failing that anyone local fancy getting out and dragging me around the local trails? I know Llandegla is only a short drive up the road and Cannock is a short drive the other way but Im after more natural rides.

Be good to hear from someone :D
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• antshybrid
    antshybrid Posts: 139
    the long mynd is just down the road mate, go there a fair bit myself but usually during the day! plenty of routes in and around the church stretton area.
  • scale20
    I've heard of the long mynd, will have to try and get out with you.

By the way, the XT brakes sally bought off you are going well :wink::wink:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2010
    Testing, testing, 1,2,3 :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm south of the county so could show you around Bringewood/Mortimer Forest at Ludlow. There is also Hopton Woods (Craven Arms) and Eastridge Woods (nr Shrewsbury). All three have downhill trails but there is some xc routes too. I have this website saved in my favourites - not sure what they are like because I haven't been in touch but it could be a good contact for you - http://www.wwwa2b.co.uk/index.htm
    You'll find me on the Wyre Forest thread on here.
  • scale20
    Cheers muddypuddle,

I will have a look through that link and se what they are all about.

When I'm settled in at Shrewsbury I will post up and try and arrange a ride.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    scale20, call in at Dave Mellor Cycles on Frankwell roundabout. The main man - and probably half the staff - can fill you in about the Wednesday evening group as well as suggestions about where to ride.

I live in Shrewsbury but don't get out much beyond commuting to work. However, you're welcome to drop me a note if you fancy a chat or want any info re. cycling in the area etc etc.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Scale20

I too am in Shrewsbury for a few years with work.....do we work at the same place??

I am looking for someone to go to Llandegla with on weekends if you ever fancy heading up there. Within an hour of Shrewsbury I honestly believe it is the best trail around and it does a cracking bacon buttie!!
  • scale20
    Scale20

I too am in Shrewsbury for a few years with work.....do we work at the same place??

I am looking for someone to go to Llandegla with on weekends if you ever fancy heading up there. Within an hour of Shrewsbury I honestly believe it is the best trail around and it does a cracking bacon buttie!!

I'm in the forces and will be working at the Armed Forces Careers Office in Shrewsbury.

Simon E,

thanks for the tip on the bike shop, I will call in. Thanks for the offer on the advice too, nearer the time I will probably drop you a line.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • antshybrid
    antshybrid Posts: 139
    scale20 wrote:
    I've heard of the long mynd, will have to try and get out with you.

By the way, the XT brakes sally bought off you are going well :wink::wink:
    glad to hear it mate, :) if you need any routes of the area i can sort them for you. i will give you a shout next time im going round there, its a lovely part of the country and different from north wales. i guess you could compare it to the clywds. talk soon mate.
  • bennaylor
    bennaylor Posts: 52
    I'm from telford which is just down the road from Shrewsbury.

As other people have said, long mynd is good, espacilly down the minton batch. Done hopton and eastridge as well, which tend not to be that busy which is good news. I try to get out around the Wrekin for a quick thrash when I can or a head over to cannock Chase. haughmond Hill is good for a quick thrash in an evening as well. one other place people talk about that I have not been around is Nescliff, been walking around there but never taken the bike. looks like it could be fun for an hour or two.

As with the others, Dave Mellors is a good bike shop and plenty of friendly staff. Let me know when your in the area and we could all catch up
  • rocketman76
    rocketman76 Posts: 195
    I'm based just outside Oswestry. I've been to Llandegla a couple of times, and try and get out along the local canal path in the summer months.

Been off the bike since end of last year, keen to get back on..

I'd say I was a novice intermediate, lacking a bit of fitness.

Let me know when you guys plan anything as Shrews is only 20 mins away.

Cheers
  • scale20
    Of out for my first off road ride in the area with the Wild Wednesday Wheelers tonight. Looking forward to it.

Cheers for the contact deatils muddypuddle.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Just seen this lol

I'm in Shrewsbury, a stones throw from the Hospital to be exact and I regularly head up Haughmond and behind the abbey and also around Nesscliffe. Also will chuck my bike in the car and visit the Clwyd trail centres.

Been out with the WWW on occasions. Can be fun but there are sometime to many on a ride for me, personal preference though.

Send us a pm. I'm off to Coed-y-Brenin in the morning :)