March - and I didn't cycle today (again)

-spider-
-spider- Posts: 2,548
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
We've had snow round here since before Christmas - it gets topped up regularly and is playing havoc with my ability to cycle work (or is that inclination to cycle to work?)

DSC00001-1.jpg

Taken when I got home from work today at about 1800.

-Spider-

Comments

• Dunk_911
    Dunk_911 Posts: 239
    on the plus side that is a beautiful picture.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • -spider-
    Dunk_911 wrote:
    on the plus side that is a beautiful picture.

Thanks - it was taken with a phone so the quality ain't too good.

Must get a decent camera for when the weather is nice rather than all this BL**DY SNOW!

-Spider-
  • Down here we southern jessis DREAM of riding to work in snow like that.
    Proper.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    What do you do instead of cycling? Train? Walk?
  • -spider-
    fnegroni wrote:

I'm about 16 miles from work. Nearest train station is 5 miles in the wrong direction (and there's not many trains). There's also very few buses, only one in (0810) and one back (1715) that are anywhere near a normal working day - and these don't meet my needs. So (sadly) I take the car - sometimes get a lift if I can co-ordonate times.

I will cycle in next week (honest).

-Spider-
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    -spider- wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

I'm about 16 miles from work. Nearest train station is 5 miles in the wrong direction (and there's not many trains). There's also very few buses, only one in (0810) and one back (1715) that are anywhere near a normal working day - and these don't meet my needs. So (sadly) I take the car - sometimes get a lift if I can co-ordonate times.

I am confused: you can drive through the snow but can't cycle?

Don't you have any knobby tyres on?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If snow was settle in London for more than 1 week of the year I'd purchase some studded tyres :D
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I smell weakness! Spiked tyres and a bottle of MTFU.

That said you ride twice the distance I do and we're pretty good at ploughing.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I'd put up with the snow to get views like that 8)

(though I'd get sick of no cycling for 3 months)
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    It's been the coldest winter in this country for 30-50yrs.

Don't think you have a duty to cycle in weather that most will see only once or twice in a lifetime, cycling shouldn't be a chore.

Better weather isn't far off, enjoy the rest.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • -spider-
    fnegroni wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

16 miles on slippy roads, over two hills, on an MTB, in the dark is not the sort of entertainment I'm looking for. I'd rather drive. :oops:

-Spider-
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    -spider- wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

16 miles on slippy roads, over two hills, on an MTB, in the dark is not the sort of entertainment I'm looking for. I'd rather drive. :oops:

I did that last tuesday night for entertainment! In fact 3 of us did it. Night riding in the country park was superb, but at -6C, not the most comfortable, but far, far better than sitting in, having pizza and watching TV.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • -spider-
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    I smell weakness! Spiked tyres and a bottle of MTFU.

That said you ride twice the distance I do and we're pretty good at ploughing.

Snow ploughs! Lucky if they do the main roads never mind the back roads. The Council gave away all its rocksalt to 'needy' Council's down south. :(

-Spider-
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    -spider- I'm a Southern Jessie/Soft Southerner and I take my hat off to you (helmet, anyway), for even contemplating that journey by bike.

London-cold is as cold as I ever want to get!
  • -spider-
    I did that last tuesday night for entertainment! In fact 3 of us did it. Night riding in the country park was superb, but at -6C, not the most comfortable, but far, far better than sitting in, having pizza and watching TV.

Were you up in Mugdock CP? Good playround for MTB's being so close to the city. I still go out to play on the bke - but as for cummuting - no thanks.

The temperature did rise to -6C this morning so there is an improvement.

-Spider-
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    -spider- wrote:

Were you up in Mugdock CP? Good playround for MTB's being so close to the city. I still go out to play on the bke - but as for cummuting - no thanks.

The temperature did rise to -6C this morning so there is an improvement.

Aye Mugdock it was. Done a few night rides up there, and last weeks was after a day on the commute, so well tired afterwards. Think it was a balmy -5C here this morning on the sommute, almost time to get the shorts out!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Doesn't sound it :?
  • -spider-
    Cafewanda wrote:
    -spider- I'm a Southern Jessie/Soft Southerner and I take my hat off to you (helmet, anyway), for even contemplating that journey by bike.

London-cold is as cold as I ever want to get!

On a good day (well the three days of the year the temperature gets above freezing :lol: ) it is a brilliant commute - much better than Glasgow (Newlands to Clydebank) or Embra (Comelybank to High St) that I did before moving north.

I admire you folk that put up with the hazards of London daily - doesn't look like fun. I've got a couple of hills but relatively quiet roads until I hit the A9 (last three miles).

Must get a helmet cam someday.

-Spider-