Marin Toscana or Genesis Croix de Fer?

NickBroon
NickBroon Posts: 17
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.marin.co.uk/2010/bikepage.php?ModNo=10TO
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... /overview/

Toscana has a lighter Alu frame, a triple which nicer for hilly terrain and weekend tours, top routed cables. Lower spec components, and not sure the carbon fork would really take rack despite the mounts. Does not have suicide brake levers

Croix de Fer is heavier steel but probably a more comfortable ride. Only has double chain rings which are less suited to hilly terrain and weekend tours. Higher spec of components. Has suicide brake levers which are nice for rough tracks and in traffic.

Anything else to way up when comparing and considering both of these?
Any personal experience of either?

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Sorry not got any experience of either... or any CX for that matter, but i've loved the look of the CdF since i first saw it.. and if i was going the way of the pervert, that would be my steed of choice
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JayDubbleU has a Croix de Fer. JDU to the thread; paging JDU...

I prefer the look of the Croix de Fer. (I have a Kona Jake. Have you considered other options, such as the Jake the Snake? If this is for the commute rather than racing though, I'd go with disc brakes rather than cantis.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I would say C de F (of course) although the 2010 model has had the carbon front forks replaced with steel and is now part 105 and part Tiagra drivetrain instead of the full 105 on the 2009 version - I think mine is brilliant - swapped the Speed King 35s for 28 Marathons and the 130mm saddle for a 145 - now I just need to get fit enough to do it justice :wink:
    The discs make a lot of difference - I've ridden down a 1/4 hill on the hoods with enough leverage to stop - plus of course if you do go off road your rims don't get worn down by dirt on the brakes
  • I would go for the Genesis Croix de Fer never ridden it but it is the better looking bike i reckon.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Croix de Fer - and I'm sure any bike shop worth their salt could pop a triple on it for you if you asked them very nicely...

Suicide brake levers? Do you mean interruptors? If so, they can be fitted to most bikes.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    The CdF is hot as hell.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Don't be fooled by "lightweight aluminium" - I would not be surprised if the Toscana's overbuilt 6000 series alu frame is heavier than the double butted 4130 Cro-mo CdF.

Had a close look at a CdF the other day, lovely bike - definitely my choice between the two.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    A colleague at work has got the Toscana. He likes it but I think its a tad heavy imo.

Personally I don't like either, they are both a bit of Jack of All trades master of none.

I personally think a Cross bike is OTT for commuting and really not needed and these are not even proper Cross bikes!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    The Genesis - it is far more pretty!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The genesis, I was ogling one at lunch proper lovely and tiagra shifters are a big improvement on sora for me.

Also genesis are british, thats cool isn't it these days :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    +1 for Genesis.
    I bough one through Cyclescheme last October and have been very pleased as a commuter/weekend tour bike.
    Ride is more comfortable than my previous aluminium hybrid. I have made a few mods to the basic spec.
    Added mudguards and rear pannier rack.
    Changed CX tyres to 28mm Schwalbe Marathons (got all of tha above thrown in on my purchase deal by haggling with the dealer)
    Since then I have changed the cassettte to a 11-28 9 speed which helps me deal with the 1 in 4 hills around here rather better.
    The CdeF is a bit heavyt so it isn't fast on those long 1 in 15 type inclines you get on A roads but it feels very solid and built to last.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!