Costs I was not expecting

ince
ince Posts: 289
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
OK my Gt is just over a year old now and done 3k miles. Been as great bike with little or no problems. However I now find after a year of the daily ride and the odd weekend trips out things need replacing I wasn't expecting.

Other than the usual consumables, tubes, tyres, brake blocks and chain I now need a new saddle, new front wheel (rim worn out), rear brake calliper (winter has not been kind).

Good job it's my birthday at the end of the month :twisted:

btw is there any reason I can't use a front calliper on the back. My fix has no rear brake atm and I plan to upgrade both the front and rear on the GT leaving a space front.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ince wrote:

btw is there any reason I can't use a front calliper on the back. My fix has no rear brake atm and I plan to upgrade both the front and rear on the GT leaving a space front.

The bolt lengths might be different. On mine, the bolt on the front is longer because the forks are thicker.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A new saddle? You need to do more sprinting to avoid wearing out the leather on the replacement :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    how didi you wear out the saddle?

crash?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Blimey, what have you been doing to the poor wee beastie? I've never needed to replace a saddle - or a wheel for that matter. And my mileage is much like yours.

Others will sneer, but if I were you I'd look on ebay for the stuff you need. Saddles in particular are the kinds of things people with loadsamoney spend a lot of money on and then decide are 'not quite right', before spending loads on another. Bargains abound....
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    What's up with the caliper? Something a strip down and clean wouldn't solve?

Edit: GT? That mean it's a disc brake? If so, never used one and know nothing about them And get a real bike :lol: :wink:
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    The saddle was a surprise to me too. Worn at the front on both sides to the point I now have the padding showing. Not from an off either, just day to day use.

As for the front wheel, I think the oe blocks that came fitted were perhaps a little too hard. I got almost 2.5k out of them, fitted a better quality set and after 500 miles are well worn. Better to wear a block out then the rim is my take on this now.

Ah yep thanks cjcp , didn't think about bolt length. I can sort that. So long as there is no structural issues or problems with directions of force the caliper is designed to take and so where it is to be fitted.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,681
    ince wrote:
    So long as there is no structural issues or problems with directions of force the caliper is designed to take and so where it is to be fitted.

I recently installed a set of Dura Ace brakes - BR7800 models, and for once actually read the manual. I was surprised to note that they recommended if you use the rear caliper on the front or vice versa, you should change the blocks and cartridge holders as they are supposedly specific for front and rear. Not sure if that applies to all brake calipers? Worth checking when you get some new ones anyway...

The bolt lengths are different, but as you say, easy fix.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I recently installed a set of Dura Ace brakes - BR7800 models, and for once actually read the manual. I was surprised to note that they recommended if you use the rear caliper on the front or vice versa, you should change the blocks and cartridge holders as they are supposedly specific for front and rear. Not sure if that applies to all brake calipers? Worth checking when you get some new ones anyway...

Brake blocks are directional, but you should be able to swap the brake blocks/holders from left to right (and right to left) on a single brake.