So who do I talk to about getting my cape

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Got a road bike at the weekend, Giant SCR 3 :D

Went all the way to Kent for it and now I'm too scared to ride it. Never ridden a road bike before and it's so light (compared to my other bikes) I'm scared I might break it :oops:

Still, kudos to Always Tyred who suggested driving down the A1 instead of M6. Got all the way down to the Dartford bridge before hitting any slow moving traffic.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Congrats on the new bike! Where are the pics?

Not sure roadbikes require capes, but I could be wrong :)
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Sorry, but capes are only for the perverted (i.e. CX riders).

Mr. Kieran Burns will have cape stock difficulties with the number of people interested in them recently though.. :lol:

Congrats on the purchase though. If you're feeling nervous, take it for a few quiet rides when it's not too wet/greasy to get used to it. However, that could be in July.. :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Excellent stuff, congradulations on new bike, though no cape for you! It's just us CX owners that require capes.

Still, you will be breezing past the likes of us on that new flying machine.
    Let us know how it goes....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Excellent stuff. Like the others have said, no capes with road bikes, they get caught under the brake callipers and you get in an unholy pickle.

You can apply for a complimentary pair of mirrored, wrap-around glasses, though. Also, don't be afraid of breaking the thing, just get out and ride it - you'll have a blast!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    suzyb wrote:

Went all the way to Kent for it and now I'm too scared to ride it. Never ridden a road bike before and it's so light (compared to my other bikes) I'm scared I might break it :oops:

Still, kudos to Always Tyred who suggested driving down the A1 instead of M6. Got all the way down to the Dartford bridge before hitting any slow moving traffic.

Capes only to those who embrace the Dark Side. You have embraced the slightly pink and girly side. So maybe a tutu would be better :)

I have to say that is one hell of a trip just to get a bike. I thought I my road trip to Cardiff from Derby was a trek. Actually the BIKE was a Trek, but you get the idea.

Good move on the A1... always a much, much nicer run even with the roadworks South of Darlington. The M6 is boring once you clear the Lakes and usually a car park from j19 to... well... j1. :?

Now get out there and enjoy the roads. You do realise you have recalculate your FCN... what have you dropped it to now?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb
    Awww it took me forever to find a road bike, I'll never get a CX small enough and I wanted a cape :(

Just back in from a ride. Felt so quick coming up the hill back into town but slightly scary going down them. Going to take a bit of getting used to I think :wink:

Never bother with calculating my FCN before. Didn't think there was any point since I rarely see any other commuters.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    No need for a cape on your road bike, although Kieran_Burns may be able to advise on the optimum pairs of pants required. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • suzyb wrote:
    Awww it took me forever to find a road bike, I'll never get a CX small enough and I wanted a cape :(

I think you're perhaps mixed-as to what kind of cape. It's not a Superman/girl style type heroic cape, it's more the kind of cape you'd wear whilst hiding in some dark bushes waiting for young girls to pass by before leaping out and scaring them witless.

In a lot of ways, that sums up the difference between CX'ers and roadies. :twisted:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I think you're perhaps mixed-as to what kind of cape. It's not a Superman/girl style type heroic cape, it's more the kind of cape you'd wear whilst hiding in some dark bushes waiting for young girls to pass by before leaping out and scaring them witless.
    :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    suzyb wrote:

In a lot of ways, that sums up the difference between CX'ers and roadies. :twisted:

I was not hiding in the damn' bush and the daft tart was scared of her own damn' shadow :roll:

Oh, there are going to be some recent new members wondering what the hell I am talking about now :twisted:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I was not hiding in the damn' bush and the daft tart was scared of her own damn' shadow :roll:

Oh, there are going to be some recent new members wondering what the hell I am talking about now :twisted:

Sharply pulls up on fishing rod and starts reeling him in ;)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    suzyb wrote:

You drove all the way from Scotland to Kent :!:
    You could have bought another bike with the petrol money and asked them to post it.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Kieran_Burns
    For those worrying (more) about me...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12627409

I still think that was one of the better threads started on here :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yaaaaay new bike!

:D

I still find downhills scary. That's my excuse for not going up them in the first place ;)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Well done Suze - it is but a step from roadie to the dark side of CX - if its any consolation I found it strange switching from straight bars to drops when I got the CX but its amazing how quick and light it feels once you get used to it 8)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Congratulations, you will have noticed that road bikes don't stop too well. (steps back to avoid flaming) You might consider upgrading the brake pads - just the pads, honest! [plenty of advice available, consider Koolstops, etc].

Mr KB is the ultimate source of guidance on all matters cape related. His word is Word.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • suzyb
    Congratulations, you will have noticed that road bikes don't stop too well. (steps back to avoid flaming) You might consider upgrading the brake pads - just the pads, honest! [plenty of advice available, consider Koolstops, etc].

Mr KB is the ultimate source of guidance on all matters cape related. His word is Word.
    That's OK, I don't go that fast :wink:
  • suzyb
    Second time out today. Getting used to the bike now, not as scared going down hill :wink:

And I managed to hold a speed of 15mph on a section of road I previously could only managed 12 on. Was well chuffed and now there will be several drivers wondering why the cyclist they passed had a big cheesy grin.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    suzyb wrote:
    Second time out today. Getting used to the bike now, not as scared going down hill :wink:

And I managed to hold a speed of 15mph on a section of road I previously could only managed 12 on. Was well chuffed and now there will be several drivers wondering why the cyclist they passed had a big cheesy grin.

Ah, the sweet innocence of a young, new roadie! It's like a breath of fresh air to my smog, filled lungs and a surge of energy to my chain lube tattooed legs! Well done and keep pedalling!
    8)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yaaaaay new bike!

I still find downhills scary. That's my excuse for not going up them in the first place ;)

That and an aversion to proper breakfast.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Does that mean I qualify for a cape: new crosslight cx custom build. First outing today, sweet. Screaming through the centre of Reading at 20 - 25 mph

it's a bit of a change from the hybrid, how do you get used to the saddle? Still can't feel my ar*e.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gbsahne wrote:
    how do you get used to the saddle? Still can't feel my ar*e.

Just give it time and mileage. I was in agony after 3 months off the bike, but within a week or so it was fine!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Yaaaaay new bike!

That and an aversion to proper breakfast.

+1. And downhills aren't that scary (so says a wuss). Reigate Hill in the wee hours of the morning with just the odd dab on the brakes, no bother. And if I come across any cattle grids, I know how to handle them now.....!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Jay dubbleU
    Get a C de F - discs will stop you downhill on a 1 in 4 on the hoods 8)
  • Kieran_Burns
    gbsahne wrote:
    Does that mean I qualify for a cape: new crosslight cx custom build. First outing today, sweet. Screaming through the centre of Reading at 20 - 25 mph

it's a bit of a change from the hybrid, how do you get used to the saddle? Still can't feel my ar*e.

Padded cape - tucked under your bum :)

Practical and scary. You see: CX really is for all uses :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    StuAff wrote:
    +1. And downhills aren't that scary (so says a wuss). Reigate Hill in the wee hours of the morning with just the odd dab on the brakes, no bother. And if I come across any cattle grids, I know how to handle them now.....!

Didn't you end up in a hedge? :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    gbsahne wrote:

Padded cape - tucked under your bum :)

Practical and scary. You see: CX really is for all uses :D

And for use as a sail when you meet the mythical tailwind :wink:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:

Didn't you end up in a hedge? :wink:

Nope, that was BJ.....I hit banking at the side of the road.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    For the record there were a few people on that trip who didn't crash...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides