London To Brigton

Comments

• Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    spen666 wrote:
    Big Shoes wrote:
    It is not the event for anyone who 'wants to do it quickly' or anyone who has no intention of getting sponsored, it is a charity ride for people of all shapes, sizes and skill levels trying to raise money for a very important charity.
    The people who wee-wee me off are the ones who complain about the person in front of them riding badly who is probably doing it for charity. if everyone who did the ride got sponsored or had to raise over say £150 each, just think how much money they would get!!
    I do it every year and I get sponsored, and i treat it as a good, fun day out with friends.

So you will be happy for me to get saponsored for charity and drive my car badly as well? So why is it ok for cyclists to do this?

Its great and laudable that people are raising money for charity and enjoying themselves. This however does not excuse dangerous actions, lack of consideration for others and generally creating danger to others

When you are on this ride, as an experienced rider, you know that there will be a lot of inexperienced riders around, so you are more careful and give then more room, but unfortunately, there is no bike test or any kind of requirement to cycle on the road so they have just the same right to be on the road as you.
    Its like driving behind 20,000 lerner drivers :wink:
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Well, the more reason not to take part if you're a bit more experienced.
    As mentioned, there are plenty of charity rides you can do which will suit more your style.
    My choice is quickly made...
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    amnezia wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Yeah, I was hoping to do it in 3 hours, not 8, so i think I'll be giving it a miss.

Its not hard to do it in 3 hours

Possibly, yes, but I probably wouldn't be setting off at stupid o'clock. I'll be riding for an hour to get there an then arranging to meet up with mates. I don't think i'll be making a 6am start so I'll be in with the masses.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Asprilla wrote:
    Possibly, yes, but I probably wouldn't be setting off at stupid o'clock. I'll be riding for an hour to get there an then arranging to meet up with mates. I don't think i'll be making a 6am start so I'll be in with the masses.

You might be out of London in 3 hours.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Signed up and registered to team it with friends and family with a 6am start :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • White Horse
    White Horse Posts: 161
    Signed up and registered to team it with friends and family with a 6am start :D

You may have requested a 6am start, but you don't get your start time until May. We've requested a 6am as well. If we don't get an early one we're not doing it as it was a nightmare setting off about 8-45 last year.

But to echo a few points already made - it's an experience and a good day out. It's also raising a lot of money for a very good cause. This year will be my fourth year. Raised over £150 last year so got priority entry for this year. The only real challenge is Ditchling. So far I'm winning 3-0 on that score and I don't intend to lose to The Beacon this year either.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Might have some spaces left if people wanted to go but didn't get a space... pm me for linky if you want take a space - got till end of today.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I done it as part of my own fundraising challenge

My guess is if your on this forum you are quite into cycling and from reports and pictures it would be a nightmare with loads doing it at once

I done it with two other friends at the end of jan and it was a lovely ride, although parts of it would not be very enjoyable with lots of riders around.

http://andyonabike.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... riple.html here is my report

why not pick a day that suits you, and just go with couple of mates and avoid the hassle. In fact big rides like that scare me :(
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I had ridden the L2B route but on different weekends at various stages in the past with my mates but finally decided to do it on the day last year.

I had avoided it too for all the reasons mentioned above which are valid and true

However, I am lucky in that i live in Surrey 3 miles from the route.

So a group of us met at 6-15am and then rode over to the route and joined it at Woodmansterne (about 14 miles into the route).

At that time it's great. Closed but free and unblocked roads with only 'serious' cyclists on the road. The non serious will take another couple of hours yet to make it that far.

Down to Brighton and sitting on the sea front at 9-15am.

Had brekky in a cafe and rode along towards Hove and the A24 and then back up via Charlwood etc.

100 miles round trip in 6.5 hours.

That's the only way to do it.

[whispers]Oh and no, like 90% of the other riders I saw at that time, I hadn't actually entered the event, was just taking advantage of the roads being free :oops: [/whispers]
    FCN = 4
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I entered and am on the waiting list.

Sucks.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I rode the London to Brighton and broke both of my arms, so let that be a lesson to all of you.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Jamey wrote:
    I rode the London to Brighton and broke both of my arms, so let that be a lesson to all of you.

How did you do that?
    FCN = 4
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    My London to Brighton pack arrived yesterday.
    I've not done it before and after reading all the negative comments here I'm treating it with a bit of trepidation :shock: .
    I've signed up with my cycling buddy's team and we have an early start planned so I hope it comes off.
    Hills and car traffic don't faze me one bit, but roads chocblock with numpties on BSO's do worry me as they are unpredictable.

The plan:
    On the day before event, our group is driving to Brighton and parking. We are then cycling up to London. We have a hotel booked already (Battersea I think)
    We are sending clothes etc. for the evening via courier to the hotel ahead of time and these will come back via the same method when we leave it all with reception the next morning. This way we have no luggage to haul around at any time.
    None of us fancy cycling with rucksacks on our roadbikes so it seemed like a good idea.
    If it doesn't fit in the pockets it goes back with the courier Monday
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Rode L2B about a dozen times years ago: agree with all the comments previous. Top tips, in summary: start early - I always booked the 5:30 or 6 start but there would still usually be a lot of walking in the first 15-20 miles, as well as Ditchling. Only ever had to get off and walk once though. Be prepared for numpties who have NO idea how to ride on the road at all, let alone in a large group. Plan your own way home if I were you (I'd still do it if it wasn't for the chaos the train ride home has apparently become), or b&b overnight, get a quiet train home in the morning

Best trip I ever had was on a Trice recumbent trike - no problems with heavy traffic, it was the comfiest seat in town, and over the top of Ditchling managed 60mph in top gear. Eyes streaming, couldn't see a bloody thing.

It's great fun to do at least once, just (as has been said) treat it as a fun ride, not a sportive.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    It's worth doing at least once- it's for a good cause, it's a nice day out in the summer on a nice route, and the experience of being among so many people on bikes is a good one.

I did it a few years ago and had an earlyish start time, and although parts are very busy I don't think I actually had to stop for log jams. Ditchling Beacon is steep but the thing that makes it hard is avoiding all the other people wobbling about or stopping abruptly in front of you.

If you think of it as a sportive you'll be very disappointed, but if you just accept it for what it is you'll enjoy it.

Oh, and something may have changed in the last few years but when I did it the roads weren't closed- very quiet, but there were cars around.
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    I went on at 9.30am and logged in waiting for entry to open, at 10am the whole website slowed to a halt. Managed to confirm my place by 11.15am.
    1st time L2B.
    Been cycling since August, had to stop running because of a motorbike injury to knee. Currently cycle everyday to work plus extra miles. Big rides at weekends, 30 to 50 miles, hoping this would prepare me for the 58 miles, but after reading this not sure if im going to need the extra training. I put down for a 7am start to try and beat the rush.
    Still have to try to get there from Cornwall the night before due to having to work now.
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • Flasheart
    Yes Squigs, the kind of distance you are already doing should be fine for the L2B. If it's as slow as they say at parts you'll keep rested.
    Last September when I did the BHF Cycle the Wight the furthest I had ever ridden was 42 miles in one throw. The Cycle the Wight was 75 miles (yeah we took a couple of wrong turns :oops: ) and I coped fine + the ocean side of the island is all hills.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm in! Awaiting Pack, thanks MonkeyMonster.

How are people getting back from Brighton? I was thinking riding there and riding back....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MonkeyMonster
    I still have team spaces and deadline's been extended to tuesday afternoon. Any takers?
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    Flasheart wrote:
    Yes Squigs, the kind of distance you are already doing should be fine for the L2B. If it's as slow as they say at parts you'll keep rested.
    Last September when I did the BHF Cycle the Wight the furthest I had ever ridden was 42 miles in one throw. The Cycle the Wight was 75 miles (yeah we took a couple of wrong turns :oops: ) and I coped fine + the ocean side of the island is all hills.

did a 40 mile ride earlier on a Sirrus comp in 2.5 hours average mph of 14.2.
    Could have carried on if still been able to feel fingers, toes feet etc. F**king freezing.
    Just out of interest, how much could a Proper road bike improve my stats? considering the Specialized Sirrus Comp is a Hybrid?
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • Oddjob62
    squigs wrote:
    Just out of interest, how much could a Proper road bike improve my stats? considering the Specialized Sirrus Comp is a Hybrid?

IMO the Sirrus range is fairly decent as hybrids go. Tiagra gearing, 28c tyres, reasonably light. I would expect miracles from a "proper road bike".
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    How are people getting back from Brighton? I was thinking riding there and riding back....

That is what I am planning. I plan to be parking around Streatham Common and cycling back to there afterwards. At worst, I will cycle to another train station off the L2B and catch a train back to the Clapham area.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Jamey wrote:

How did you do that?

Sorry, forgot to check back in this thread (wish this forum would get a 'subscribed threads' page).

Anyway, it's not particularly exciting. I just fell off my bike, landed awkwardly on my arms and bam... Broke right across both bones on both sides just below the elbow. It's amazing how symmetrical it was, actually. I don't think you could do it that evenly if you tried.

Was plastered up with both arms across my chest for the next week. Couldn't cut up my own food or wash myself properly or anything.

There's a thread about it on here somewhere. if you search for all posts in my name and have the word Brighton as the search term I daresay you'll locate it fairly swiftly.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Fortunately riding with a friend who lives in Hove so staying there.

Any plans for silly commuter drinks in Brighton?
  • Flasheart
    Canny Jock wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Fortunately riding with a friend who lives in Hove so staying there.

Any plans for silly commuter drinks in Brighton?

Sounds Like a PLAN :D
    FCN3
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I still have team spaces and deadline's been extended to tuesday afternoon. Any takers?

When is it again? what start time?

DDD have lunch down there and ride back, you'll get your first imperial ton in and raise money for charity
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Oddjob62
    Jamey wrote:
    Sorry, forgot to check back in this thread (wish this forum would get a 'subscribed threads' page).

"Watch this topic for replies" at the bottom and a "Notify me when a reply is posted" when you post.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I did last year, and back in this year, primarily as it's for a great cause.

PLEASE be aware that many non-cyclists take part, which is fantastic, but can be dangerous. I was amazed at the amount of folk descending at high speed towards blind corners etc. One of our chaps was hit by someone doing this which led to a 2 hour visit to the St Johns Ambulance tent. They do a great job, but try to stay out of their facilities if possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'd actually like to do this, but the logistics of getting me and my bike from the Midlands to / from London / Brighton would be a nightmare.

I'd even do the to / from run so I could have the imperial ton under my belt, but can't see how I could arrange it
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I'd actually like to do this, but the logistics of getting me and my bike from the Midlands to / from London / Brighton would be a nightmare.

I'd even do the to / from run so I could have the imperial ton under my belt, but can't see how I could arrange it

Do an overnight run. One of my fellow regulars on the FNRttC comes down from Hull. Prebooked train into Kings Cross, so much cheaper advance fares, he often rides back into the smoke for the train home as well.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011