hi everyone

anthdci
anthdci Posts: 543
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
my first post, thought it polite to say hi to everyone,

my name is anth, im from sunderland. i bought a GT avalanche 3.0 last year to try and loose some weight. its been in thye garage over the winter. Me and some mates are planning on doing the whitehaven to sunderland coast to coast at the end of july, so it is coming back out.

Now ive just got a new job at newcastle uni so im going to treat myself to some toys.
Since im doing the c2c im going to need a decent rucksack, I was also thinking of some spd pedals and shoes.
im thinking
Shimano M545 pedals
Shimano M076 MTB shoes
Deuter Compact EXP 12
from wiggle

ill also need a new helmet but dont know where to start with that.

ive done some reading but not sure, is there better value for money in other brands?

thanks

Comments

• Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Great choice of shoes, although go a size or two larger than you would normally as they come up rather tight. Im normally a 44/45 and went for a 46. In terms of pedals, the ones you have picked are OK, but the Shimano M520's are also worth a look. Equal performance but are cheaper and lighter. I think you'll find the cage of the M545's gets in the way more than anything.

For a helmet I really would go to your LBS (local bike shop) as they are very personal. Might be worth doing that for the shoes aswell. Until you get a bit of experience under you belt the advice of an LBS is invaluable.
  • anthdci
    thanks for that, great advice. since ive never used spds before i just thought the size of them makes them look uncomfotable thats why i was looking at the cage ones.

ill have a dodge over the LBS today and have a look around.
  • Hi and welcome!

I have done the Whitehaven to Sunderland C2C a couple of times, a great route. However when you reach the top of Whinlatter opt for the off road downhill, its an easy fireroad with fantastic views, well worth a look.

Also how many days are you aiming to do it in?
  • anthdci
    Also how many days are you aiming to do it in?

we are aiming for 3 days,
    whitehaven to penrith
    penrith to rookhope
    rookhope to sunderland

theres going to be 4 of us going.
  • Oh and the cycle cafe in Greystoke is great if they are open, it is situated on the fork as you leave Greystoke Village.

A good choice in distances, however the first two days will be quite hilly, however from Rookhope onwards you have the Rookhope incline to Parkhead and then the rest of the day is mainly gradually downhill trails making a quick day.

Have you seen this website? http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/
  • The cycle Cafe in Greystoke is open from easter thru the summer i think - its always open to cyclists cos theres a barn round the back with an honesty box kind of thing where you can top up on tea drinks and snacks - they ve got a site greystokecyclecafe.co.uk with all details

there s a good bunk barn in penrith aswell- fellfoot
  • anthdci
    when i want something i want it now :oops:

IMG_0032.jpg

Yea ive seen c2c-guide.co.uk we've got their book along with the Sustrans guide and map. We were thinking of getting some kind of gps solution so we dont get lost.

Ill have to check that out cafe out, thanks for the tip.
  • To be honest you probably will not need the GPS if you take the map and guidebook, still handy to take though. All of the route is amazingly well signposted, the route does pretty much hold your hand.

Saying that I did accidentally add 10 miles onto the 2007 trip :oops: