my new mtb

OctaneRider
OctaneRider Posts: 2
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Okay Guys, this is my first mtb and ive not been much into riding until i moved in and wanna ride and my colony, find frens n all kindsa stuff ( very boring place ).
I live in india, and among most brands i saw ( hero, hercules, peerless, firefox, bsa, atlas.etc )I preferred hero cz it was worth the money compared 2 other indian brands. I know firefox, peerless anmd something like suncross arent indian but the problem getting them was i couldnt trust the bike stores here to know much abt thier gear and repair work.
So, basically, i got my hero octane spear ( 21 gears, shimano equipped, front disc brakes and rear V-cantilever brakes, 26t tyres )
it was pretty good at the beginning but since the 2nd day,the gear are not shifting anymore, everytime i shift, theres weird noises and movements in the pedals and the rear but no change in the placement of the chain.

Comments

• Shoes
    Shoes Posts: 19
    Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried lubricating the chain and the gears themselves, as well as the mechanism to move the chain onto different sprockets? That would be my first port of call.

A similar thing happened on my new bike, and I found out it was due to the cables between the handlebar leavers and the mechanisms at the gears stretching. You need to tighten up this cable a small amount (say 5 - 8mm) and you will have to do this a few times until the cable has stretched to it's limit.

Let us know if this helps.
    Stafford Photographer - Lawtonsoul Photography

All of your photographic needs covered, from portraiture to weddings.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    9/10 cases like this can be settled by two things, cable stretch and poor technique.

turn your bike upside down and while smoothly spinning pedals change gear.

Do the gears change well?

If so you are putting to much power into the pedals while shifting. This is a very common problem and takes time to learn. put no power in when shifting, none and yours gears should shift in under a second. you need to rotate the cranks, but no push!

If they are not shifting correctly the cables have probably strectched, there is an adjuster on the shifter on the bars unscrew it half a turn at a time until the gears shift well.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • TorchXC
    TorchXC Posts: 33
    you're not using a chainstay protector are you?
    i had some problems with my gears which turned out to be the chainstay protector which was puting pressure on the cables to the rear mech and stopping it from shifting properly :oops: doh!

just a thought :)
    Giant Reign
    KCNC / Superstar / Shimano SLX / Avid Elixir 'R' / Jagwire / SDG Ti Fly / 66's / Fox RP23.