frame or wheels (dilemma)

ninjanoir78
ninjanoir78 Posts: 21
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi, okay... I already have a caad 9 bb30 bike ( SI hollogram crank) with fulcrum racing one..

for this summer I have some cash to put in the ''bicycle world'' so for the same amount I can buy a brand new system six liquigas frame and fork or mavic cosmic carbone SL...

so if I buy the frame, I would have my caad +S6 and I will use my fulcrum one on both.
if I buy the cosmic I will have fulcrum one and cosmic carbone wheels to use with my caad 9

what do you think..... better with 2 set of wheels (one all around and one more aero) or 2 good cannondale bikes?? (and I already have a used sram red groupo to put on the liquigas frame)

thanks

Comments

• Wouldn't it be prudent to buy the second frame and some more basic wheels and use the CAAD9 as a foul weather / winter bike?
    Summer - Cannondale Six Ultegra
    Winter - Condor Bivio - cyclocross bike for commuting, cycle paths & rainy days - brilliant

LBS - Sigma Sport in Hampton Wick - Simply the best LBS
    Stolen - 2001 Specialized Allez Elite :-(
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    Your Fulcrum 1's are a very adequate wheelset...I had some and they were strong, light enough and performed solidly.
    I would go for the frame upgrade for sure.
    The ride quality will be different and using the Fulcrum 1's will be a good combo with the racier Six frameset.
    Keep the Caad model for your winter/training/turbo bike as said above. 8)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    stevenb wrote:
    Your Fulcrum 1's are a very adequate wheelset...I had some and they were strong, light enough and performed solidly.
    I would go for the frame upgrade for sure.
    The ride quality will be different and using the Fulcrum 1's will be a good combo with the racier Six frameset.
    Keep the Caad model for your winter/training/turbo bike as said above. 8)

The Six isn't "racier" than the CAAD9 though. As far as I'm aware, they share the same geometry, it's just the material that differs.
  • it's not the six, no!!!!!! I already have a caad9 bb30, I am talking about system six!!!!!
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    I stand by my post above then....as I saw thats what you typed. :wink:
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    CAAD 9 is a great frame, and a worthy racing bike, handles great and has a really positive ride. The System Six is pretty much the same feeling although is a little more positive in it's handling (due to that massive head tube).

Personally I have a Six-13, with Easton Circuits for training on, Racing 1's for hilly rides/sportives and 50mm deep section PRO RC-50's for, well ummm posing at the cafe stop and cos they look cool.

I like both framesto be honest but don't know how mch of a difference you will feel with the System Six over the CAAD 9. I personally didn't notice to much difference when I rode both.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!