Carbon frame bargain at Merlin?

ScottieP
ScottieP Posts: 599
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
As it's been a rainy day I've spent more time than I should have on the net and saw this "bargain" at Merlin:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/road-bike-frames/carbon-sportive-frameset.html

£330 for frame, fork and headset - unbranded, but it looks nicer than a Planet-X to me....

Does anyone have one or has ridden one?
My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    What more can you expect? Somebody will be along shortly to say that their big brand bike is infinitely better because the paint and stickers make it lighter/ stiffer / faster :lol:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    Thats a good price.
    Only yesterday I sold my Felt F4 carbon frame and Ritchey WCS fork for £450 2nd hand.
    Ok the fork is over £200 at most places but I only paid £180 at Merlin...so I was pleased to get that money.

Sometimes these cheaper bikes use the same mouldings as the more expensive ones.
    A company will contact the manufacturer who is currently making x amount of frames for company X and then company Y puts in an order for a certain amount using the same materials/construction.

The point really is that as long as it's BS approved then you'll be fine and as said...you don't need to spend shed loads on a fancy frame/fork to get a bargain.
    Although I just bought the Tarmac SL3 frameset at £1599.99 it's what I wanted...but there are many more frames out there more expensive than what I have and I know the SL3 is just as good as any of them.

Good luck with the build up.
  • aogan
    aogan Posts: 52
    [quote="stevenb"
    Although I just bought the Tarmac SL3 frameset at £1599.99 it's what I wanted...but there are many more frames out there more expensive than what I have and I know the SL3 is just as good as any of them.

Good luck with the build up.[/quote]

That sounds like a good price on the SL3. What's the uk list on those? -Where did you pick it up?
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    aogan wrote:
    [quote="stevenb"

Good luck with the build up.

That sounds like a good price on the SL3. What's the uk list on those? -Where did you pick it up?[/quote]

My LBS (Phil Corley Cycles Milton Keynes) had a 20% off weekend and although the £1600 wasn't quite 20% off £1899.99 UK List price, it was still good enough. They are a great shop though and they will always negotiate very competitive prices so depending on how far away you are you could pop in to see them.
  • I'd be eager to read any rider comments about the Merlin Sportive Carbon as well, including whether the quoted weight is within realistic range. It's priced to rival so-called Ebay frames when one factors in customs and tax. Where's the catch?
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    That Merlin frame looks very good and a bargain price - it would be nice to hear from someone who has one built-up. I wonder what frame it's based on?
    Cycling weakly
  • ScottieP
    @Cycloslalomeur - I agree - why would you do an ebay carbon frame when you can buy this from a reputable shop?

@skyd0g - I agree with this too - I was hoping someone would write in and say they've got one and what it's like. I was also wondering what it's based on ... The headtube and top tube look like a Ribble Sportive/PedalForce RS2 - but not sure about the rest of it. I might write to them ask for the geometry - as that would be helpful for people thinking about taking the plunge.
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    take a look on Carboncycles.cc they have more pictures and I am sure its the exact same frame, with out the exotic stickers on it.
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Does look v nice indeed, much curviness. The Planet-X fork has a carbon steerer, but hmm, a little frame-envy here based on looks alone!
  • Merlin told me in an emal yesterday that they didn't have a geometry chart but that they could take a ruler to it. I asked them to measure the top tube of the 52cm one. I shall post as soon they reply. It appears the Carboncycles frame has a more or less straight top tube as opposed to the curved one on the Merlin one.
  • That alloy steerer fork would have to go but even factoring in the price of a full carbon fork like the Ribble Sportive one at £87 you'd be laughing.
  • Oh, I asked them to weigh the fork as well but I doubt they will.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    That alloy steerer fork would have to go but even factoring in the price of a full carbon fork like the Ribble Sportive one at £87 you'd be laughing.

On a bike with a high head tube and maybe spacers I'd be tempted to keep the alloy/carbon fork as it 'may' reduce front end flex. Depends on how big/aggressive you are and if this theory is in any way true! I don't know for sure but it is logical and I have heard it mentioned before. I'd spend any extra money on wheels first anyway. That frame does appear to be a bargain.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ScottieP
    Has anyone on here bought one? I see they are now out of stock in 2 of the 4 sizes .... so somebody must have been buying them - would love to see pictures/get feedback and ride reports. If you have bought one - please do let us know.

Thanks
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'm really tempted...!! the missus is away this weekend and this could be teamed up with a pair of model b's from planet X and mix and match on the rest.... oooh.....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • ScottieP
    Not to mention a SRAM Rival groupset .... for a nice light cheap build!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Maybe this is v. similar :
    http://www.karbona.com/pro/b-1-4-17-b.jpg

Geo on their too.
    Darn, my size still available ! Must resist........
  • ScottieP
    Yes, that does look like it .... my size is still there too .... must resist as well. Mrs ScottieP would not be amused....
  • I for one can spot some differences between the Karbona and the Merlin, especially in the rear stays. Oh well, my assumed size is sold out anyway. A bit rude of Merlin not to have emailed back with the top tube lengths as promised.
  • ScottieP
    I see these have all gone now and disappeared from the site - if anyone's taken the plunge it would be good to get your thoughts/feedback/photos etc...
  • Merlin told me not to expect more stock as the shipment was a one-off.
  • aztecboy
    aztecboy Posts: 384
    I bought one and am just about to start building it up.
    It is getting a black 105 5700 compact groupset.

I have been riding steel for over 40 years but finally got seduced by the dark side.
    My boss has a place out in Sonoma and possesses 2 carbon Serotta bikes, one of which I rode for the first time in anger in early Jan. Very shocked by the difference.

I am sure I will still use my steel Pearson for all the long distance continental cycling, but the Merlin is being "Christened" at Etape Caledonia and then the Ventoux on the 3rd June.

Presently trying to source a mech hanger for it, I had no idea there are sooo many of the little sods. Merlin are trying to find out for me.

I'll post some pics when I get it finished.
    aztecboy
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    aztecboy wrote:
    I bought one and am just about to start building it up.
    It is getting a black 105 5700 compact groupset.

I have been riding steel for over 40 years but finally got seduced by the dark side.
    My boss has a place out in Sonoma and possesses 2 carbon Serotta bikes, one of which I rode for the first time in anger in early Jan. Very shocked by the difference.

I am sure I will still use my steel Pearson for all the long distance continental cycling, but the Merlin is being "Christened" at Etape Caledonia and then the Ventoux on the 3rd June.

Presently trying to source a mech hanger for it, I had no idea there are sooo many of the little sods. Merlin are trying to find out for me.

I'll post some pics when I get it finished.

When did you buy it as this is a 2 year old thread?
  • aztecboy
    They had two on sale in Jan.
    aztecboy
  • aztecboy
    The finished beauty!
    Picture.jpg
    aztecboy
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Looks great - how is the ride?
  • aztecboy
    Like a dream.
    I am horribly scientific about set up, so that when I eventually took it our for its maiden 5 miles, it fitted like a glove.
    I'm 57 now, racing days long since gone but couldn't resist putting the hammer down and was shocked to hit 30mph on the flat (for about 10 secs!)
    After racing and then touring steel all my life, the power transfer on carbon has been a revelation. For sure, my old steel Pearson will still be my tourer of choice but this new bike is going to be a lot of fun!
    I might even have a crack at a 10 mile TT again.
    aztecboy
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Sorry for the thread hijack but has anyone used Merlin for repairs / servicing?
  • aztecboy
    Hi Chrisnoir
    No, only ever bought mail order from them and they have been very helpful on the phone.
    I live 250 miles from them so no experience of their servicing.
    A
    aztecboy