Commuting as training?

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I was wondering whether constant miles every day was a good form of training? I have been doing up to 26 miles a day recently and wondered whether it would improve performance on long rides. Or does one reach a plateau that only big efforts at the weekend will change?

Any opinions?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Sewinman wrote:
    I was wondering whether constant miles every day was a good form of training? I have been doing up to 26 miles a day recently and wondered whether it would improve performance on long rides. Or does one reach a plateau that only big efforts at the weekend will change?

Any opinions?

Sure does old bean, but you need to be smart about it, just knocking out the same old route everyday and you'll get used to it pretty soon, just like going to the gym everyday and doing the same workout, alas our bodies are good at adapting.

Practice you're sprints, spinning, grinding, single leg and balls out TT - in short the commute is the best training. The only thing it can't do for you is distance training.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sewinman wrote:
    I was wondering whether constant miles every day was a good form of training?

It's good for commuting. I have first-hand experience of this :oops: . See below.
    I have been doing up to 26 miles a day recently and wondered whether it would improve performance on long rides. Or does one reach a plateau that only big efforts at the weekend will change?

You're actually doing 13 miles x 2, and you're stopping a reasonable amount, too, I suspect (like the rest of us), whereas on longer rides in the country lanes, you're on the move for longer periods, on a hillier route probably. 26 miles in one go will feel a bit different (probably a lot harder if you've got a belter of a headwind on the way home).

With the exception of last year's HOTA - when we had the weather-enforced go-slow, my wheels have come off in the sportives I've entered because I rarely do longer rides and mistakenly try to rely on a commute +1-3 laps of the Park on the way home (abt 19-32 miles). Setting off with imbecilic enthusiasm doesn't help either, but longer rides will also help you refine your eating and drinking strategy.

So, commuting is good for *base* fitness, and as ITB says, you can mix up your commute by doing intervals, but, for longer rides, longer rides and shorter, intense rides e.g. JG's rides in RP, are the key.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Thanks chaps - kind of got the answer i was expecting but not wanting, heh heh :D

JonGinge RP rides - what are they then, other than being super human Lance-esque fast?
  • cjcp
    [quote="Sewinman"
    JonGinge RP rides - what are they then, other than being super human Lance-esque fast?[/quote]

Six laps of the Park at what he describes as the "sweet spot".

There's nothing "sweet" about it :o . But it will make you faster. A few rides with him last winter did me the world of good for Flanders.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    cjcp wrote:
    [quote="Sewinman"
    JonGinge RP rides - what are they then, other than being super human Lance-esque fast?

Six laps of the Park at what he describes as the "sweet spot".

There's nothing "sweet" about it :o . But it will make you faster. A few rides with him last winter did me the world of good for Flanders.[/quote]

Sounds like JG going fast and you tyring to keep up. Chapeau!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    WARNING

JG & CJCP are aliens from the planet MASSHOOF thighs of punishment

:P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sewinman
    itboffin wrote:
    WARNING

I know, have seen it in my waking dreams. They have pwned me with smiling faces a few times in RP. :D
  • cjcp
    Sewinman wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    WARNING

I know, have seen it in my waking dreams. They have pwned me with smiling faces a few times in RP. :D

:lol:@Sewinman - yeah, desperately trying to catch up! I've had my @rse kicked on each of our three rides this year.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Basically, trying to keep up with JonGinge will make you faster.

Riding faster makes you faster, and he is faster than you. And me. And everyone else.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Basically, trying to keep up with JonGinge will make you faster.

Riding faster makes you faster, and he is faster than you. And me. And everyone else.

I think you meant 'will make you faster...or kill you in the attempt'. Went passed him on the Gospel Pass ride when he was sorting a chain drop. I wasn't at maximum effort by any means, needed to keep something in the tank for the climbs, but still moving along quite nicely, 'fast cruise' pace. Then JG comes past me like I'm standing still.....!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    @Lit and Stu, the cheques are in the post.
    @CJ, the invoice is in the post.

:lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides