Cleaning one's bike

2»

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    "You really need to take the chain off, soak it in degreaser and use a stiff brush to get between the links. Give it a good rinse with a solution of washing up liquid and hot water, dry it off, give it a good spray with WD40, add a smear of lube and then put it back on. I sometimes take the cassette off and give it a clean but it usually gets away with a wipe."

So Beverick, how about demonstrating how this should be done using my chain? The last Sunday in this month works for me :)

Babygirl is quite new but I was surprised at the amount of gunk on the chain, but given the weather I shouldn't have been really.

Stuaff, I'm on the lookout 8)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My slightly rusty chain was squeaking like a mofo this morning. I should probably give it some TLC.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Guys, guys, this talk about various products is all very well but what I need is for someone to deep clean my bike once a month.

I thought this was a friendly forum :roll:

Small children have just the right size hands for cleaning the drive train and will work for sweets.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    itboffin wrote:
    If I don't do some kind of cleaning every other day the knees seize

Fixed that for you...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • MonkeyMonster
    Gussio wrote:
    Small children have just the right size hands for cleaning the drive train and will work for sweets.

Steps away given she's already on the edge...
  • Cafewanda
    Gussio wrote:

Steps away given she's already on the edge...

MM, how on earth did you manage to restrain yourself? :D

No, DO NOT revisit.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Awwwww...
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    So Beverick, how about demonstrating how this should be done using my chain? The last Sunday in this month works for me :)
    I'm sure, if you pay the flights, Beverick will be happy to demonstrate ;)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cafewanda wrote:
    "You really need to take the chain off, soak it in degreaser and use a stiff brush to get between the links. Give it a good rinse with a solution of washing up liquid and hot water, dry it off, give it a good spray with WD40, add a smear of lube and then put it back on. I sometimes take the cassette off and give it a clean but it usually gets away with a wipe."

Babygirl is quite new but I was surprised at the amount of gunk on the chain, but given the weather I shouldn't have been really.

Its only by cleaning your bike and seeing to its every need that you begin to bond with it :wink:

OMG - can't believe I just said that :oops:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    If we split the cost of the flight can berverick please come and clean my bikes too?

There's a reason the London-based one is black. If only I'd continued that reasoning with the other two.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I'm told you can pay someone to clean your bike for you if you have more money than time (and not just small children either)...

Mosquito bikes charge £40 and the bike whisperer £15, I gather. The latter seems a bargain, but I don't know whether you can book it separately or just as an add on to a service.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    £40? What? That's insanity.

:lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda wrote:

Its only by cleaning your bike and seeing to its every need that you begin to bond with it :wink:

OMG - can't believe I just said that :oops:

Jay, I babywiped her last night and tweaked the seat a little. I think I'm getting there too. Nothing to be embarrassed about :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    If we split the cost of the flight can berverick please come and clean my bikes too?

There's a reason the London-based one is black. If only I'd continued that reasoning with the other two.

I thought Beverick was going to be in London anyway and possibly at a loose end that weekend 8) :wink: He could demo at mine late Sunday morning and wander over to yours for the afternoon, just in case a few more people could attend class :)
  • MonkeyMonster
    Some of you lot are just wronguns... When I work out who I will bake a cake!
  • Cafewanda
    Hi LL

I'm off to BW on 1 April for a fit so I wonder if I could get it cleaned then. However, I wouldn't want to ride it afterwards. There's something about gazing at a clean bike, shiny with polish that's quite satisfying............. or is that just me? :oops:

Jay, I might need help :shock: [/img]
  • Cafewanda
    Some of you lot are just wronguns... When I work out who I will bake a cake!

MM just bake the cake(s) anyway. One chocolate and one plain; both with cream - not too much. Tonks 8)

You owe me for all those insults you keep sending my way :P