Inbred migration project

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited March 2010 in Your mountain bikes
My Saracen RAW to On-One inbred migration project, still needs cables cutting to length.

9a886c859aae41f9a47abd0d6badd10c.jpg

I bought the Saracen about 2.5-3 years ago and rode it for a while that was until things started breaking and I got tired of replacing them, it went into the garage being used less and less until..... well you get the picture, off road riding for me stopped when I bought a hybrid for my commute then over time a number of road bikes replaced the hybrid, then various road bikes.

Time has come to dabble off road again.

Come to think of it the only part of this bike that is original Saracen is the forks :lol:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Like the black & white colour scheme, simple yet cool looking 8)

I've seen on other threads you asking about cable lengths. Looking at your pic above, it looks about right. The important thing is that you can swing your bars 'lock-to-lock' without pulling them tight around the headtube. The length measurement won't mean much as it will vary from bike to bike depending on mech types & positions.

When I built mine I did the routing slightly different. Looking at the TT from being sat on the saddle, the rear mech cable runs through the centre guides under the TT, exiting to the left then wraps around the headtube to the right shifter. To cut the cable all I did was put the bars on full right lock and cut so there was still some slack around the headtube. The front mech cable runs through the right hand guides, round the right of the headtube to the left shifter, again cut to length by applying full left lock and leaving a bit of slack round the headtube.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Thanks, I need to loose about 1 1/2 inches off each gear cable, went out in the maiden voyage this afternoon, nothing too taxing just some back lanes and single track, mainly to index the gears and get feel for saddle height etc. I def need a shorter stem and clipless pedals, flats are just so..... flat! :lol:

Only did 12 miles and it was exhausting perhaps I should have avoided so many hills :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.