Reccomend me a tyre

beanieripper
beanieripper Posts: 73
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

been mtbing for 10 + years and have used conti vert pros pretty exclusively for the last 4 years or so but cant get them anymore... I mainly ride the South Downs, chalky with some mud and a mix of terrains, im doing the randonee this year 100 miles winchester to beachy head in a day on my hardtail. I need something that rolls well (obviously) but can also cope with some loamy stuff and loose over hard stuff. I like to rail the downs pretty hard so theyve gotta hook up well..I think nobby nics are out of the question as the flints gonna kill em and the protection versions are silly money, think i may have narrowed it down to high rollers single ply, mountain kings or maybe panaracer rampage (think they may be a bit draggy??) anyway its just a minefield and I cant decide... any input would be appreciated... cheers guys..

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    specialized the captain - reasonably priced (£20) 2.0 or 2.2, dual compound (60a/70a) very good tyres
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    specialized sauserwind controls - if you wanted narrower (2" width). complete with beefed up carcass and puncture protection. 525g.
  • Ide sooner a 2.2 or 2.35 just for the extra volume/comfort really, gonna be 10hrs + on the bike, may have a look at the captains, any other suggestions?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Check the Specialized Eskars out while you're there then.
  • Maxxis High Roller on the front, Maxxis Ignitor on the back.
  • i'd give the captains a wide berth. I thought they were pretty dangerous tbh. Fine when the ground was totally dry and hardpacked, useless the rest of the time. panaracer fire xc or maxxis ignitors would be my recomendtions
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Mountain kings are great.....if you really love changing innertubes.
    like every week!

I have the standard ones and whilst they grip and roll great they punchture constantly.
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • Cheers guys, think im gonna try a pair of ignitors out,
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    The main (and oft stated) problem with asking us for tyre recommendations is that most of us haven't tried many out.

That said, my fave combo for the last few years has been Schwalbe Nobby Nick (2.4 Snakeskin if your fork can take it, 2.25 otherwise, 2.1 for the weightweenies) up front and Maxxis High Roller (2.1 exception series for weight weenies, 2.35 60a kevlar for everyone else, steel beaded if you can't find the kevlar one) out back

Question; when is the Randonee you're talking about? I've been trying to get some of the guys from my club interested in a weekend's raid to ride the Southdowns way, an organised event might be just the thing to get them motivated.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    How about a 2.35 high roller on the back and a 2.35 minion on the front.

Works great in ALL conditions
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    mudsucker wrote:
    i'd give the captains a wide berth. I thought they were pretty dangerous tbh. Fine when the ground was totally dry and hardpacked, useless the rest of the time.

Slightly agree with this - good in the dry / thin mud and roll well but hopeless on wet rock / roots. Swapped to 2.1 Nevegals (Stick-E front, DTC rear) and never had any problems, grip like a limpet although not that fast.
  • peter413
    he is saying he needs something that rolls well so that rules out the Nevagals

soz bluehelmet :wink:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    2.35 Maxxis HRs - folding ones are lighter than single ply but just as grippy.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • peter413
    High rollers are great but if its really muddy or wet then you want somethng slightly gripier.

Completely agree about the folding bead though. Just wish they were in stock when I got my minion but I'll definetly get one next time