Today I have mostly been building Inbreds...

Iain C
Iain C Posts: 464
edited March 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Mrs has made the jump to FS, so seemed only right and proper that I should rip her girlie RockShopper apart and build myself some proper British snot-green slot-dropout real steel £99 frame goodliness.

Behold the biggest greenest like-a-bike ever, hopefully those nice people at Merlin can send me one of those SLX chainset thingies so I can actualy pedal this round a bit.

Yummy yummy.

4395143836_f8fbe05112.jpg

4394382521_bc567fce81.jpg

4395151538_ff9b1be2bc.jpg

4395147508_1ca834a6a3.jpg

4394381307_b51a7a8121.jpg

4394378673_1cb5018972.jpg

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    looks great in green. i have that rear mech too. it's very good
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Almost finished my own inbred migration project, still need to trim the cabling to the right length, problem is I haven't a clue how long / short the cables should be, when your finished would you mind posting some more shots?

Thanks, nice bike by the way.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Iain C
    itboffin, do you mean cables or hoses?
  • itboffin
    Iain C wrote:
    itboffin, do you mean cables or hoses?

Gear cables, i'm not doing the hydro hoses it's just too messy that's one job i'll let the LBS handle.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Iain C
    OK well as you can see mine does not have any yet! But I'll give you the measurments when I've done them...just make sure you have some good cable cutters. Mine's an 18" frame too, so bear that in mind!
  • itboffin
    Iain C wrote:
    OK well as you can see mine does not have any yet! But I'll give you the measurments when I've done them...just make sure you have some good cable cutters. Mine's an 18" frame too, so bear that in mind!

Ta mines 18" too
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Chain Tug!

Do it or regret it.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Iain C
    Chain Tug!

Do it or regret it.

Why? On-one say you don't need it for a geared build. Wheel is dead centred (in terms of tyre clearance on the cahinstays) with the axle right at the front of the slots, and any pedal yomping in a big gear is only going to keep the axle at the front of the slots anyway.

Am I missing something here?
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    So different but how it works well in green, very interested in the final version
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    somepoint soon i'm going to have a two inbred in one day build.... moving my 456 bits onto a carbon one, and other bits onto the current frame...

But that green is lush, hope they do the carbon one in that...
  • Iain C
    It's finished (apart from fork boots and frame protectors)! :D:D:D

Fecking irritating, I've done my back in so I only did a couple of hundred yards around the road outside the house but it seems great. You know that feeling when you get on a bike and everything feels perfect in terms of fit, geometry, setup etc? Also get a nice smug feeling from building it and knowing it's unique!

SLX kit is really nice, and really well priced. Bring on the riding!

4410669101_7ef60321fe.jpg

4410673891_6b107deb43.jpg

4411442684_b8dbdcdf23.jpg

4411445776_bba971324b.jpg

4411444130_44b61203e8.jpg

4410672015_11e92c943d.jpg
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Chaintugs also help to stop the rear wheel doing strange things under braking. Strange that on-one said you didn't need one when they spec it with all their slot frame builds.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Iain C
    OK, still don't get it spongtastic.

All the chaintug can do is pull the axle backwards, towards the back of the slot dropout, for example when tightening a s/s chain. If you try and push the axle forward, for example yomping uphill on a SS, it won't let it move. However if you pull the axle backwards, for example due to a force being applied to the rear wheel such as hitting a tree root with your skewer undone, there's nothing the chaintug can do to keep the wheel from moving backwards in the dropout, as it's not deigned to work in that plane.

As my axle is right at the front of the dropout, as far forward as it can go, this is in effect stopping the axle moving any further forward in it's own right. So what good will a chaintug do? If anything, it's just adding more things that can move and stopping the skewer getting a good "bite" on the dropouts.

Surely?