Pick me up needed

pimptovimto
pimptovimto Posts: 56
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
I am training for a 2000+ mile tour in the summer where I hope to ride at 100 miles a day. its a fund rainsing cycle and I was until this weekend feeling pretty positive about it but today I went out and had the worst ride of my life, it was cold, wet and I was tired and hungry, I gave up after 32 miles and am starting to wonder if this chalenge is beyond me. I have ridden a mere 82 miles in the last three days and am taking a day off tomorrow.

Anyone been in a similar situation during training, if so how did you overcome this?

Thanks

PV

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You were cold so sort out your clothing so you don't get cold (overshoes, good gloves, windproofs, etc.). Difficult to stay dry when it rains properly so try to make sure you stay warm even if you do get wet (not always possible in winter). And if you were hungry you didn't eat enough so eat (and possibly drink) more. Eating and drinking enough is usually more of a problem when you're cold and wet.

You've got loads of time to prepare (I did a big ride last summer of 300km /day for 5 days and at this point in the year I was finding a single ride of 200km VERY tough) and it'll be warm and sunny in the summer anyway :lol:

And remember it's almost spring so the long rides get easier and much more enjoyable soon :D
    More problems but still living....
  • Thanks, this is just what I needed a little bit of perspective. Went out again yesterday with fully laden panniers up some decent hills ended up doing 50 miles instead of planned 40.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mind if I ask what your planning to do, are you going fully loaded, tents, cooking etc? Doing a fully loaded tour to Italy in the summer, could maybe share tips.

Have off days myself but its Winter, short day light hours, just think how much day light we'll have in the summer, plenty of time to put those required miles down, hopefully less rain to boot! :D

Doing a few Sportives over the coming months to help reach that 100 miles goal, might be worth looking into!

Alternatively watch what Eddie Izzard achieved with 6 weeks training for inspiration..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Hi,
    Bear up you'll get there. Overtraining can be as bad or worse as not enough training. Rest days and easy weeks are an integral part of a structured training programme.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Wooliferkins, thanks, I need to keep this in mind, I can get blinkered by the goal and an urgency to reach it.

iPete, I am doing a solo tour round the UK starting and finishing in Scotland with little or no support so solo camping too, not got a lot of experience to share with you on that so if you have any for me that would be great, I have ridden 80+ miles in a day a couple of times, just think I was on a downer the other day because it was so bad. I actually went to the gym on Tueday instead of the bike and that was great, really worked and I felt great afterwards. Going to the gym again tomorrow and will probably keep that up to break the rides ups.

I watched the Eddie Izzard program earlier today and I was speechless, amazed and in awe of him. it just shows you your body can do things you never thought it could ll you have to do it have the mind set to ask it too think. He was really dissapointed at possibly failing to do the 10th marathon but when you think about it that alone is a massive achievement especially when you have no running background or and I am sure he wouldn't mind anyone saying being in his physical condition.

There is a guy in Edinburgh called Mark Cooper who will be setting off soon to to 50 Marathons in 56 days, he has a web site http://www.runwithmark.com/