Campag Centaur 2010 Chainset

100%
100% Posts: 236
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Intending to purchase a new chainset and having been reading the details on the Campagnolo website on the various groupsets, it seems to me that the 10 speed Centaur stuff (particularly the chainset) is more or less the old 10 speed Record? Although seems to be slightly heavier, I can't acutally work out any difference. Even uses the Record BB cups.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Carbon Centaur chainset has crummy chainrings, nothing at all like the 10spd Record chainrings.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    crummy

Is that a technical term? Or do you mean they are made out of old biscuits?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    Go old school for quality - new 2006 Record cranks are still available on Ebay for £60 delivered. Worth buying just for the chainrings!
    Alex
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The BB cups are standard on all the ultra torque chainsets except the Super Record ones are black. I had 2009 Centaur i now have record albeit 11 speed.

The Centaur shifters seem the same, the 09 chain rings and cassette are inferior. The front mech is poor. Rear mech is OK just heavier. Brakes are OK, identical to Chorus whereas Record brakes are black and the front brake has a bearing in it. The first batch of Centaur shifters were inferior because the right shifter had no bearing in it but that has been changed. The Centaur cranks are a bit heavier and a different shape but seem fine. I regret buying Record because I now realise that Chorus is very nearly the same but £400.00 cheaper. In fact I would prefer the Chorus front mech because it isn't carbon and only 1 gram heavier. There is really no room for Record in the current line up.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • redddraggon
    Rolf F wrote:
    crummy

They might be a bit better if they were made of old biscuits, they seem to be made of stale cheese.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The BB cups are standard on all the ultra torque chainsets except the Super Record ones are black. I had 2009 Centaur i now have record albeit 11 speed.

The Centaur shifters seem the same, the 09 chain rings and cassette are inferior. The front mech is poor. Rear mech is OK just heavier. Brakes are OK, identical to Chorus whereas Record brakes are black and the front brake has a bearing in it. The first batch of Centaur shifters were inferior because the right shifter had no bearing in it but that has been changed. The Centaur cranks are a bit heavier and a different shape but seem fine. I regret buying Record because I now realise that Chorus is very nearly the same but £400.00 cheaper. In fact I would prefer the Chorus front mech because it isn't carbon and only 1 gram heavier. There is really no room for Record in the current line up.

This is why i have opted for Chorus! i had the carbon chorus back in 03 very smooth shifting then so the newest version must be better! just gotta wait for it to turn up! :D
    Just couldnt really see any advantage in the record stuff and centaur uses steel for the cassette too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    crummy

They might be a bit better if they were made of old biscuits, they seem to be made of stale cheese.

I still don't know what that means. People here will complain about something for being 5 grammes too heavy - eg any mention of Campag Neutrons, everyone says get the Elite even though the weight difference is not great and there seems to be some concensus that you can't really tell the difference between those and the standard ones. In the real world, what is wrong with Centaur chainrings?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redddraggon
    Anodising flakes off, and they bend far too easily.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • This is all a bit disappointing, I've just ordered a centaur gruppo (alloy crankset). I agonised for ages between Centaur and 6700 which was nigh on the same price. Have I made a big mistake?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The BB cups are standard on all the ultra torque chainsets except the Super Record ones are black. I had 2009 Centaur i now have record albeit 11 speed.

This is why i have opted for Chorus! i had the carbon chorus back in 03 very smooth shifting then so the newest version must be better! just gotta wait for it to turn up! :D
    Just couldnt really see any advantage in the record stuff and centaur uses steel for the cassette too.

I bet you were slightly doubtful that you had made the right decision until you read that! You must ride for San Fairy Ann.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Cheers for the replies - I thought the chainrings would be different but difficult to tell when comparing 2008 & 2010 catalogues - the descrption is near identical.

I've seen 2006 Record about - I think it's square taper rather than UT, which sounds a little more difficult to fit?

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    UT is better than square taper, square taper is a piece of pish to fit though as is UT.

I run record on my best bike and Chorus/Centaur/Record on my trainer and Centaur/Veloce on my turbo bike, apart from weight I have found very little difference that will give you cause for concern.

After a 1000 miles on my trainer with a Centaur Chainset, they have not bent, discoloured, flaked or developed any faults, in fact none of my Campag stuff has, so stop worrying and enjoy your riding.
  • After a 1000 miles on my trainer with a Centaur Chainset, they have not bent, discoloured, flaked or developed any faults,

But surely it's not been subjected to the elements if that's the case?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878

Says he who uses Sram ...... cough :?
  • redddraggon

Says he who uses Sram ...... cough :?

huh?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    After a 1000 miles on my trainer with a Centaur Chainset, they have not bent, discoloured, flaked or developed any faults,

Sorry didn't make it clear, my trainer is my winter bike, my turbo bike is for indoors.

So yes my centaur has been subjected to some horrible weather.
  • redddraggon
    Slow-N-Old wrote:
    After a 1000 miles on my trainer with a Centaur Chainset, they have not bent, discoloured, flaked or developed any faults,

Sorry didn't make it clear, my trainer is my winter bike, my turbo bike is for indoors.

So yes my centaur has been subjected to some horrible weather.

The Alloy centaur chainsets used to have decent (CNCed?) chainrings, I don't know whether they still do, but the carbon chainset used have anodised rings. I am talking specifically about the chainrings on the carbon c/set.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Nothing wrong with Centaur chainrings. I got 12,000 miles plus out of my last ones!
  • redddraggon
    Nickwill wrote:
    Nothing wrong with Centaur chainrings. I got 12,000 miles plus out of my last ones!

which ones were they though?

Because there were obviously short comings with the chainrings I had.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Nickwill wrote:

They were 2006 vintage. They were replaced at the end of 2008. My Summer bike has now done about 4000 miles on the replacements and there is no sign of wear. I do replace chains on a very regular basis though, so that might have something to do with it. I have heard that the Chorus ones are better!
  • redddraggon
    Nickwill wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:

They were 2006 vintage. They were replaced at the end of 2008. My Summer bike has now done about 4000 miles on the replacements and there is no sign of wear. I do replace chains on a very regular basis though, so that might have something to do with it. I have heard that the Chorus ones are better!

That's it then. I have a 2005 or 2006 (?) square taper Centaur Chainset which has really nice chainrings, but the chainrings on the 2008 UT Carbon were pants. The strange thing though, is that the cheaper UT alloy version had the nice rings, whereas the more expensive chainset had the shoddy chainring.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Rolf F wrote:
    crummy

Cheesy rings? There's a bad joke in there somewhere.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've got a full 2009/10 Centaur groupset and I have no issues with it.
    The brakes work very well.
    Gears shift smoothly
    No flaking from the rings
    I wouldn't spend the extra on Record or Chorus