How often should you replace your helmet?

2»

Comments

• rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    heres what the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute have to say about the effects of sweat and UV light on helmets....
    Occasionally somebody spreads rumors that sweat and ultraviolet (UV) exposure will cause your helmet to degrade. Sweat will not do that. The standards do not permit manufacturers to make a helmet that degrades from sweat, and the EPS, EPP or EPU foam is remarkably unaffected by salt water. Your helmet will get a terminal case of grunge before it dies of sweat. Sunlight can affect the strength of the shell material, though. Since helmets spend a lot of time in the sun, manufacturers usually put UV inhibitors in the plastic for their shells that control UV degradation. If your helmet is fading or showing small cracks around the vents, the UV inhibitors may be failing, so you probably should replace it. Chances are it has seen an awful lot of sun to have that happen. Otherwise, try another brand next time and let us know what brand faded on you.

http://www.bhsi.org/replace.htm
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    I would probably replace my helmet every 3 years anyway, becasue i want a better one, or i've crashed- i mean who crashes less than once every 3 years?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've crashed plenty of times, but I'm not aware of my head/helmet making any significant impact with the ground (touch wood!).

Saying that, I always like an excuse to buy something new.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ive had my helmet for 13 years
    its in good condition (apart from its held together with gaffa tape :lol: )
    ive got to get a new one soon as its too small anyway