Training and possible racing

nomadic4500
nomadic4500 Posts: 24
edited March 2010 in Track
Hi all,

Over the last year I have been to some sessions on the track, and have decided that I would really like to concentrate on improving on the track and possibly even racing if I can get to decent standard.

My nearest velodrome Herne HIll, opens in a couple of weeks so will be going to the intermediate session before, but I am concious that if I wanted to race this season (being an average club cyclist on the road) I probably need to start a specific workout to improve on the track.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Beyond the weekly session at Velodrome how can I improve? (I am looking to improve physically rather than upgrading my newly purchased track bike :-) )

2) Is there any sort of diet / training that I can do that would help? and are there any decent books, or even a someone who could help me?

3) Is there anything I could do on my turbo trainer on my road bike to help? like intervals?

thanks

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    You'd probably get more answers if you re-posted this in "Training"
    1) Beyond the weekly session at Velodrome how can I improve?
    Ride your bike as much as possible. Even better if you have a training plan to follow with measurable intermediate goals and progression from building a base to building speed.

The track sessions will be a great benefit to learning how to ride in a bunch and it's a really good way to get into racing as the events are short and numerous so even if you get dropped in one, you can have another go in 20 minutes.
    2) Is there any sort of diet / training that I can do that would help? and are there any decent books, or even a someone who could help me?
    If you are able to afford the services of a coach, or even just buy a one-off 3 month training plan, it will help get you going in the right direction. If you can't afford a coach, then something like Joe Friel's "Cyclist Training Bible" will give you a good introduction in how to draw up your own training plan.
    3) Is there anything I could do on my turbo trainer on my road bike to help? like intervals?
    Loads - but how your sessions fit into your overall plan is the key. Just doing the odd session once a week is probably not goiing to give you much benefit.