Bianchi or Giant

lambchopper321
lambchopper321 Posts: 6
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Hi there , another new member , making the switch to road from MTB and in the process of purchasing first bike.

Simple question , I have approx £650 to spend and I know some of the advice suggests going second hand but am tied to new and to one shop due to a generous gift voucher from family (not that I'm complaining !)

So the two options are the Bianchi via nirone 7 2300 or the Giant Defy 3

Your thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks
Tony

Comments

• awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    I can only offer my opinions on the Giant but my first road bike was a SCR (model prior to DEFY) and i beleive is virtually the same. Its a great bike, easy to ride, and upgradable.

I did 1500 miles on mine last year and it has served me well!!
  • The Giant is very reliable. I have a carbon model and I am very impressed. I really fancy a defy as a second bike.
  • Just ordered the Bianchi Via Nerone 7 (2009 model with Sora). Haven't received yet but i can tell you that it looks the part and from the feedback i have received in this forum it looks like a very good bike.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • had a giant scr for 2 years now,approx 6000miles and still my main bike for road and turbo and commuting every now and again

replaced chain, cassette, wheels and saddle in such a time so obviously a reliable bike and fully recommended

that said though, everyone wants to ride a bianchi. dont they?

if you reckon you'll upgrade it eventually, i'd get the bianchi. if you have no plans to change anything then i'd go for a giant
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Giant wins hands down.
    Superior frame design with the overdrive fork/steerer system and fully mudguard/rack compatible if you need it.

Also far better warranty than Bianchi.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    edited February 2010
    Dull though, Bianchi vote here, difference in frame is going to be hardly noticable i reckon

theblender i assume you're basing your recommendation on extensive testing of both bikes? Thought not.
    Same as everything on here. Anyhoo, Bianchi looks a lot better and will also hold its value better, that's what i base my recommendation on :P
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Like choosing between Alfa and Ford. Probably the Ford makes more logical sense but anyone with any soul would favour the Alfa :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for replies so far , Ford v's Alfa seems like a pretty good example of the choice on offer .

Got to say there didn't seem too much to choose on the short ride I had with each the Bianchi looks so much better !!!!

I was almost set on the Bianchi previously when I saw some other thread which wasn't that favourable about the brand which did surprise me , discussion around Bianchi's rep being based on them being Italian and getting kudos from the other Italian makers.

Decisions, decisions, desperate to make the right one soon , just want to get out and ride !

Thanks Again
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    2 of my mates have that Bianchi with different groupsets and as far as I'm aware both love them.

One had his stolen and got the same bike again.

For the money I reckon they're one of the best looking choices going. They look expensive and they sell on for silly silly money, having watched loads on ebay etc while looking for one for the wife. The black and celeste both look great.

I don't have anything to say about the Giant good or bad, having no experience of them at all.

If they ride similar I know where my £ would go.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Like choosing between Alfa and Ford. Probably the Ford makes more logical sense but anyone with any soul would favour the Alfa :D

But then aren't Alfa Romeos not just tarted up Fiats? :wink:

And coming back to bikes, where are Bianchi's cheaper frames made?
    Genuine question - I don't know, but could it be in the Far East by a generic frame maker?
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    As a rider of a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 I can confirm they look great, have a very comfortable ride and are great for long days in the saddle and sportives. And despite a couple of comments above the frame is fantastic.

However with the choice you are faced with the Giant is probably better value for money as its groupset, Sora, is higher up the groupset foodchain than 2300. So probably your decision should be made on whether you intend to upgrade soon, and which looks best!
  • Giant. The Defy range is fantastic - best you can get for that money.
  • The dealer i am buying from said to me (obviously I have verified that yet), that the frame comes with a life warranty. And he said also that if next year I wanted a better model he would repay the full price I have paid for the bike I have just ordered. Saying that I have nothing against Giant as I am sure they are great bike too. At my level not even sure if i could see the difference when riding either

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • jeannot18 wrote:
    And he said also that if next year I wanted a better model he would repay the full price I have paid for the bike I have just ordered.

with that attitude he'll either win retailler of the year award or he'll be out of business by next year. my guess is on the latter.

a good trade in value yes, but full refund on a bike with a years use? surely never
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • acidstrato wrote:
    jeannot18 wrote:
    And he said also that if next year I wanted a better model he would repay the full price I have paid for the bike I have just ordered.

with that attitude he'll either win retailler of the year award or he'll be out of business by next year. my guess is on the latter.

a good trade in value yes, but full refund on a bike with a years use? surely never

I guess he did exagerate a little bit, he said that the bike would have to be in a very good nick, also I am only paying £500 as it is a 2009 model, so i guess i could sell it for the same price with some type of waranty after a full service.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Has to be Bianchi - so much more class.
  • Is there a bike in that price group with 105 group set at least? I had Sora and would not have this again.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Giant is more reliable choice and makes more sense. So... get the Bianchi!
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    whats comfiest?
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • I have a Giant SCR 1.0, it is really nice, I have done 1500 miles on it since June. But I must admit, I almost replaced it with a Bianchi a couple of months ago. The Bianchi's do look better, I test rode a second hand Via Nirone, with a 105 / Ultegra mix, it felt nice, but I only did a mile on it, so I wasn't really able to come up with any substantial conclusions from it. The only thing that stopped me buying it was on inspection of the bike, there was a crack in the seat stays, so I turned it down. If I had the choice now between the a Bianchi and a Giant, I would go for the Bianchi!!