Helpful advice shouted at you by motorists....

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Tonights irony was a woman in what looked like her mid-20's calling out to me that "You should use hand signals, dude", which of course earned her the witty response of "I am you stupid cow".

Cue some kind of wimpering sound from said bovine as I turned right. :lol:

Ironies:

1. I've been wondering all day whether the highway code has been changed so that drivers aren't required to indicate at roundabouts, I've seen so many simply not bother when turning right;

2. Said stupid cow was telling me this as I was putting my arm out to indicate I was turning right;

3. This was at a junction which on Monday night I avoided getting cleaned up by a woman mini-van driver who didn't look like she wasn't slowing down, actually didn't slow down at all and must have run through at 30+mph, and who only seemed to become aware that i was there and indicating to turn tight as she flashed past me at speed. I guess my 2 superbright LED lights mustn't have been visible?

For those who think that maybe tonights bovinus ignoramus was making fair comment, I had failed to indicate as at the time she had been well behind me, I was moving across the road well in front, keeping up with traffic while going up a slight hill and travelling at 20mph, I didn't see the point, especially as I did so at a stretc of road that is single lane.

Hmm, maybe I just should have said that maybe she should slow down...?

One other thing that gets me:

20 years I've had a driving licence;
10 years I've had a motorcycle licence;
9 years I've been a cycle commuter and 3 years a longer distance cycle commuter & club cyclist (27,000km in the past 3 years);

Why is it that drivers by virtue of being in charge of a mechanical device see fit to offer advice to someone they believe is more "junior" them them, however relatively ignorant they are in reality?
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments

• at least you were offered the courtesy of some advice.

Some dozy cow hit me with their car yesterday evening. So i hit it back...
  • Why is it that drivers by virtue of being in charge of a mechanical device see fit to offer advice to someone they believe is more "junior" them them, however relatively ignorant they are in reality?

You've answered your own question tbf.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Tonight, after crashing into the side of me:

"Well, you shouldn't f##cking be there should you? You should be over there." *random hand gesture indicating anywhere but on the road*
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    The ultimate classic; You don't have an engine???
  • Most popular - "Get on the f**ing pavement"

:roll:
  • Gypsies
    Gypsies Posts: 403
    Or when asking how much the bike cost,you get the reply..'you could of bought a car with that'...as i did'nt friggin know that :?
  • Yesterday, while cycling down a quiet lane used as a rat run by school running mums, a woman crossed the white line to pass a parked car and then ignored the fact that I was in the lane.

I had to do that weird sideways limbo move to avoid getting whacked on the arm/hip by the wing mirror.

I looked round at her as she passed, hoping to see her wave an apology - helpfully she was indicating that I was a loon by tapping her temple.

Of course she was right, I was a loon to have expected her to slow down just because I was using the road.

Thanks school run mum!
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    20022010051.jpg

No words needed :lol: