Felt F series or Felt AR series - AR2 or 3 v's F1 SL

aogan
aogan Posts: 52
edited February 2010 in Road buying advice
Might be getting a good deal on one of the above - it's a little dependent on size and fit, the F1 SL (which actually I think might even be an SLR!!!: yum yum) is a 58, when my current bike is a 56. But my current steed is not a perfect fit, and the AR and F series geometries vary quite a bit - anyway, I'm yammering on here, for the purpose of the thread, lets presume the bikes are available in my size! :)

The other variable is - the AR3 is the 2010 model whereas the AR2 and F1 are both 2009 models. The significance of that is twofold - on the one hand the 2010 AR series, according to reviews is significantly stiffer than the 2009 ones. But the 2009 F1 SL is much much prettier than the 2010 F1 SL, which has a boring paint job.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions. I really do like the look of the AR series. The AR2 is a nicer colour than the AR3 imho but the review of the '09 AR frameset has my unnerved a little. I'd be interested to see if I notice any difference myself if I ride a '10 and an '09 back to back. The SL is a more traditional looking bike, not an aero frame, but it's very very nice looking indeed.

Spec-wise the AR2, though '09, comes with full dura ace 7900 and generally a very high quality finishing kit. The wheels are a little bit scanty - they're felt branded aluminium aero jobbies, whereas the 2010 AR2 comes with tasty felt-decal'd zipp/flashpoint carbons. -Why not buy the 2010 AR2 then? - Well, it's a deal I'm getting, I can't afford the 2010 bike, simple as.

The 2010 AR3 has what seems to be a full SRAM red groupset, which I like the idea of too. I have racer mates who choose to use sram red instead of dura-ace so I wouldn't at all feel short changed by it. And I think the F1 SL also comes equipped with SRAM red.

I haven't been furnished with the one time only special offer mates' rates yet, and ultimately the decision will be very heavily influenced by price as I'm already stretching a bit as is, but before the money comes into it, what say you all on which is the "better" bike? :)