What to do with C2W...

londonbairn
londonbairn Posts: 316
edited February 2010 in Road buying advice
Another year, another C2W opportunity :P

I own a set of decent road bikes already (Wilier La Triestina Mirage, ROI Dura Ace 7800 & Bianchi 928 Veloce), and tempted to go for another road bike for £1000.

However, I am quite tempted to use the £1k voucher to get myself a Dura Ace 7900 groupset instead, put on the ROI, then the 7800 can go on the Wilier or Bianchi, or I could just go get a 1K bike (like a Planet X 7800, a Viner etc)

What to do? I don't need another bike, but I like the fact I am starting to build a collection :P

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    You don't need four road bikes, just keep one of the three as a winter bike, sell the others and add the money to your CTW money and get something really nice as a best bike.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    MatHammond wrote:
    You don't need four road bikes, just keep one of the three as a winter bike, sell the others and add the money to your CTW money and get something really nice as a best bike.

:shock: :shock: :shock: You can't say things like that on here!!! Four bikes are the basic minimum to start in the sport let alone call it a collection.
  • I'm not selling any, every bike has its signficance wether it was my first road bike, my first Dura Ace equipped bike etc 8)
  • Are you aware you can't buy 'parts' on the c2w?

It has to be a complete bike.

Abuse like this is what is going to close the scheme down.
  • Are you aware you can't buy 'parts' on the c2w?

It has to be a complete bike.

Abuse like this is what is going to close the scheme down.

A few places will redeem for parts, some even encourage it. It's a fairly loose process where I don't know any employer or heard of any employer proactively checking if you use that gear to commute....not sure how it will "close it down", it may make it tighter but hardly close it down given the exploison of interest and use in recent times....
  • A few places will redeem for parts, some even encourage it. It's a fairly loose process ...

It's not a loose process - it is quite clearly stated on all documents that you must buy a bike, not parts.

The loose bit you may be thinking of is the use of the bike, that's fine. They do encourage you to use it for leisure also.

How would you feel if at the end of the 12 months your employer asked for your groupset back - something they are entirely right and legal in doing?

The spirit of the scheme is to buy a bike to go to work on, not for you to add shiny parts to your existing collection.

You may not be aware of the hundreds of random spot checks on voucher redemptions then across the country - it really is a matter of time til someone is made an example of.
  • This is a useful document:
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/sustainable/c ... df/518054/

Section 2 and 8 are quite clear.
  • A few places will redeem for parts, some even encourage it. It's a fairly loose process ...

It's not a loose process - it is quite clearly stated on all documents that you must buy a bike, not parts.

The loose bit you may be thinking of is the use of the bike, that's fine. They do encourage you to use it for leisure also.

How would you feel if at the end of the 12 months your employer asked for your groupset back - something they are entirely right and legal in doing?

The spirit of the scheme is to buy a bike to go to work on, not for you to add shiny parts to your existing collection.

You may not be aware of the hundreds of random spot checks on voucher redemptions then across the country - it really is a matter of time til someone is made an example of.

Does it come out of your wages or something :roll:
  • This is how the computer scheme got closed down, people abusing the scheme and buying ipods instead.
    Lets be sensible people.
  • Well it kinda would if i did it and got prosecuted for fraud. Yes.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd bend the rules and get what you want, don't listen to them :roll: they are just jealous!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • fastercyclist
    fastercyclist Posts: 396
    edited February 2010
    PX SL Pro carbom SRAM rival £1000

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... Rival.html

That came through my email earlier.

I don't understand C2W if you can "top it up" or not but I'd be tempted for the SL Pro Carbon Elite SRAM Red - £1499.

Just my 2 pennies worth. Maybe it'll help you make up your mind.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • That's not a rule bend, it's a break.
  • Can I just say, if the scheme gets closed down because of such abuse, thats a bunch of people who have lost their jobs too? Is your group set worth say 20 jobs?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    The Home Computer Initiative got closed down because everyone who wanted one owned a computer anyway. The scheme was originally set up to encourage IT development in homes, and as PC's got cheaper there was no reason to offer the incentive.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I'm buying a frame on mine. If you can find a shop that will sell you bling against the voucher, so what?
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I got a credit note from my LBS to spend on anything. Treated myself to some £1.50 energy bars! :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well its definitely against the rules - does seem a bit silly to offer the C2W deal every year ? If you want a fixie - why not buy one with it - much more fun than a groupset ?
  • But if he didn't get the voucher do you think he'd spend a grand of his own cash? I doubt it. I see this as a win win situation for all concerned. Rather help pay for that than some sponging smack head.
  • Your signature says you want a fixed...

Get something fixed with mudguards and a rack that will actually make a good commuter and be different from what you've got.
  • A mtb?

A folder?