What to buy first?

Lady Venom
Lady Venom Posts: 213
edited February 2010 in Road buying advice
So I'm on a budget right now but won't be so much when I get back in a few months. I want to upgrade quite a but on my bike, but where to start?

I quite fancy a SRAM groupset, new stem and bars and possibly some wheels - try to drop some weight.

Currently on:
SORA (!!) with a Prowheel OUNCE-622C Compact 50/36t
HUBS: Joytech
STEM: RC DA-32 3D - forged alloy
Headset: Fsa ZS4-CUSTOM

Any suggestions? I'm thinking I may as well do the groupset first.... and do the bars as the same time?

I imagine this list will offend - but when money is not growing on trees you have to sacrifice (yeh I could have got more for my buck with another brand but the Bianchi was so beautiful!)

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just run stuff till it wears out or breaks. You say money isn't growing on trees, so why the urge to replace anything? How easily could you lose 500 grams by eating a bit less?

Replacing an entire groupset isn't a cheap option, and to upgrade the wheels to make a noticeable difference will be almost as much.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    +1

Run what you have until it wears out, the only exception I would make from your list of possibles would be the bars and stem, but only if your current set-up isn't comfortable - not for weight-saving reasons.

Apart from the above, you could change the tyres (once the weather improves - they would only cut-up at the moment).

Do you currently have clipless pedals/shoes? If not, this will increase performance more than shaving a few grams off the overall weight of the bike. Also look at your clothing - good bibs or a good jacket could increase your comfort, enjoyment and therefore performance overall.

Although shiny/carbon bits are tempting, they do not make you a better cyclist. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • I have shoes and pedals, wouldn't be without. The Sora is ok but have done a lot of miles on it and find it uncomfortable on the drops if you need to change (thumb button). I'm doing at most 120miles/week at the moment as it's winter, looking to up this once there's more daylight and warmer weather.

Serviced the bike yesterday, hopefully it may run better now (one whole can of degreaser gone...!)

@Keef 66 - I need to be certain weight for my job and I can't be any less than I am now) - I can't go below 62kg (which I am) and am 5'8".
  • Lady Venom wrote:
    @Keef 66 - I need to be certain weight for my job and I can't be any less than I am now) - I can't go below 62kg (which I am) and am 5'8".

now i'm intrigued, what job comes with a minimum weight limit?????
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • skyd0g
    As the SRAM Rival gruppo comes in @ circa £500 and as you're also considering changing other components on your existing bike, a longer-term more cost-effective option may be to hold on to your hard-earned for the moment...
    ...then go for a whole new bike such as: http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/SL_Pro_Carbon_Rival.html
    ...and keep your existing steed as a 'winter bike'. :D
    ...or even selling it to offset the cost of its replacement. :?:
    Cycling weakly
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    Get yourself some carbon fibre bar end plugs,lady V.
    Tremendous weight saving and very bling! :lol:
  • shakey88
    stokepa31 wrote:
    Lady Venom wrote:

now i'm intrigued, what job comes with a minimum weight limit?????

Boxing or dwarf throwing i think
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade...
    Wheels first, here you'll notice the most significant difference.
    Groupset, etc, as and when you can afford. You wont notice much difference in weight here, but will notice the difference in response to gear lever movements.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • skyd0g wrote:
    As the SRAM Rival gruppo comes in @ circa £500 and as you're also considering changing other components on your existing bike, a longer-term more cost-effective option may be to hold on to your hard-earned for the moment...
    ...then go for a whole new bike such as: http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/SL_Pro_Carbon_Rival.html

Genius...................................... :D

Any other bike suggestions then?! I could probably pay out a bit more. Never really looked at Planet X, good prices. I'm now vvvv tempted
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    You could pick up a nice set of fulcrum 1's for a good price and perhaps Campag Chorus. Stem and bars, you won't find better than 3 T, they appear to have a range for all budgets!
  • shakey88
    Lady Venom wrote:
    I have shoes and pedals, wouldn't be without. The Sora is ok but have done a lot of miles on it and find it uncomfortable on the drops if you need to change (thumb button). I'm doing at most 120miles/week at the moment as it's winter, looking to up this once there's more daylight and warmer weather.

Serviced the bike yesterday, hopefully it may run better now (one whole can of degreaser gone...!)

62kg is as light as most climbers on the pro tour so you have an advantage there :D
    I'm 6ft and 73kg.Could probably get down to 62kg but would cost me an arm and a leg!
    (now,where's that saw :wink: )
  • skyd0g
    Lady Venom wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

Genius...................................... :D

Any other bike suggestions then?! I could probably pay out a bit more. Never really looked at Planet X, good prices. I'm now vvvv tempted

There aren't that many specced with SRAM off the shelf, but the Boardman Team Carbon @ £999 or Pro Carbon @ £1599 are two to consider. There are plently of bikes specced with 105 or above that could be considered such as the Ribble Sportive or Gran Fondo. (and a whole host of others) 8) - just avoid Campag, as they use the thumb levers throughout their range (as you already mention you don't like this on your Sora).
    Cycling weakly