Cycle Sport subscription

zippypablo
zippypablo Posts: 398
edited March 2010 in Pro race
anybody subscribe to Cycle Sport for the free Tdf 2009 dvd? I did but it never arrived and now it's out of stock! Guess I should've known as they did the same thing a few years ago. Anybody else find their free gift didn't arrive and nobody from the company was prepared to tell them. Took 3 phone calls to be told the news too!
If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I got my free (and useless) torque wrench some months ago.
  • A mate of mine worked there, you have no chance of getting anything out of them. If you call to complain they are likely to just put you on speakerphone and take the piss.

Write it off and subscribe to Ride, the Australian mag - it's the best anywhere.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I pay for my subscription with Tesco Clubcard vouchers so didn't cost me anything. Don't get the freebies but who wants another DVD with a Phil Liggett commentary?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Personally, I already receive a Sky magazine/guide as part of my TV/Broadband package, thus have no use of the Sky Fanzine formerly known as CycleSport. Consequently I cancelled my subscription last month, when the Sky love-in reached it's zenith and accounted for about 75% of content (the other 25% was adverts/advertorials). It simply became beyond a joke - it's either Vaughters or Wiggins (4th at the 2009 TdF TM)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The latest edition looks more interesting. That's the trouble, a few issues are good but many seem to be duds, padded with filler.

Not that it's easy. I was chatting to a team DS and he was saying he went on a media course during the winter so that he "doesn't prejudice the business" when making quotes to the media, for example the wrong quote about a rider could land him in front of an employers tribunal.

So much for sport, eh? :? With attitudes like this, getting insights into the sport is proving increasingly hard.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    Well I did cancel my subscription as I'm not prepared to give them my cash, gave them a second chance and they failed. I looked into getting Ride mag from Oz but it's quite expensive. Can't decide to go for Procycling or just not bother.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Damien_KW
    Damien_KW Posts: 47
    Of the mainstream cycling magazines I think Cycle Sport is best, if not exactly a great magazine.

I can't understand how Procycling has such terrible photography when cycling is such a photogenic sport.

Cycling is still a pretty niche interest - Cycle Sport sells around 16-17,000 copies a month - and so resources are quite limited and the teams producing the mags are small.

There will also be a lot of pressure on maximising sales - so last year every other issue had Lance Armstrong on the cover as he shifts magazines. And so this year we get a lot of Team Sky, probably as they also help to shift copies.

Have a look at Rouleur and The Ride Journal - both independents, and as such are able to be a little more adventurous in their content (but unfortunately you pay extra for that).
    IN THE SADDLE
    "Locals are watching from pavement cafés. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me." Tim Krabbé, The Rider
  • Pro-Cycling has a 25 page Cervelo Test Team love in this month too... Including a double page splash on why the team bikes are the super duperest bestest bikes of all time ever.

That and pull quotes about how great the bikes and the wheels are in the Haussler/Hushovd and Klier interviews.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent