Save Me From the Spoon

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
What a morning !

I reluctantly commute as my wife needs the car. I am on my MTB (you can guess whats coming???) - I get a puncture - I struggle to get the tyre off , but at last I beat it, and off it comes, but try as I might, I can not get tyre back on - its now raining, and my hands are getting colder.

I phone my wife, she collects me and drives to me work - but she needs the car - I reckon I will be able to get the tyre on once I warm up - but I can't ....eventaully one of the guys in the office reckons he can do it with a 'spoon' - and my god he does !!!!!! - He is the hero - and I nick spoon !

But I don't want to be at the road side, trying to put a tyre on with a spoon ! - I would look foolish....

So whats the trick, how do I put a kenda komdo tyre onto a an MTB....Without a spoon !

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Forks are better for getting them off as you can hook the prongs round a spoke......
  • kingrollo
    will3 wrote:
    Forks are better for getting them off as you can hook the prongs round a spoke......

I had tyre levers - and getting the tyre back on was the problem !
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Stupid question, but I take it you've already tried tyre levers? Watch you don't ding your rim using something metal as a lever.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I had those on my MTB a long time ago, didn't have any issues personally.

The key to fitting tight tyres in my exprience is to ensure that you have pushed the lip/bead of the tyre as far towards the centre of the rim as you squeeze it on. The rim tends to be a smaller diameter towards where it meets the spokes so try to get the lip/bead of the tyre in that.

I hope that makes sense :? , since I figured this out I am now able to put a MTB tyre on using just my thumbs, only need the levers to get them off. :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    some tyres are tighter to fit than others....

wire bead tyres in particular can be very tight....

I carry a set of steel cored plastic covered tyre irons for the job....but find i do not always have to use them to remove/refit the tyre.

these are the ones i have....

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... =-1&f_bct=

but as i say, i can usually roll the tyre on without them.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • kingrollo
    cee wrote:
    some tyres are tighter to fit than others....

wire bead tyres in particular can be very tight....

I carry a set of steel cored plastic covered tyre irons for the job....but find i do not always have to use them to remove/refit the tyre.

these are the ones i have....

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... =-1&f_bct=

but as i say, i can usually roll the tyre on without them.

I think the problem is the deeper section rims - they aren't mega deep - and are what came with the bike - but it means you have to lift the tyre that bit further
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Kiblams wrote:
    I hope that makes sense :? , since I figured this out I am now able to put a MTB tyre on using just my thumbs, only need the levers to get them off. :D

You need levers to get the tyre off? Ya big jessie :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I had a similar problem. I had a pot of yoghurt, and wanted to eat it by the roadside, but of course I had no specifically designed implement to facilitate my desire. So I used a tyre lever, and it worked fine!

Problem is, I'd like to eat a yoghurt at my desk, or perhaps at the dining table at home, and I'd feel silly using a tyre lever! Do any readers have suggestions for an alternative?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    biondino wrote:
    I had a similar problem. I had a pot of yoghurt, and wanted to eat it by the roadside, but of course I had no specifically designed implement to facilitate my desire. So I used a tyre lever, and it worked fine!

Problem is, I'd like to eat a yoghurt at my desk, or perhaps at the dining table at home, and I'd feel silly using a tyre lever! Do any readers have suggestions for an alternative?

Use your mini pump
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    will3 wrote:
    Use your mini pump

+1

Set it up correctly and you can squirt the yoghurt into your open mouth. Or at colleagues. You might get some funny looks though.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Rollo.. now your friend managed it with a spoon... did you? if you didn't doesn't it make it all a bit mute?

saying that I think I've got the mother of all tyre levers at home (if I've not already sold it)
    It's a but like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Deluxe-Handled-Type-Tire-Lever-12/180465998114

on the plus side you can also eat yogurt with it without looking like a gimp
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Norky wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Use your mini pump
    Set it up correctly and you can squirt the yoghurt into your open mouth. Or at colleagues. You might get some funny looks though.

"Hey, what's that on your chin?"

"Umm... this?... Yeah, it's yoghurt."

"Right"
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rollo.. now your friend managed it with a spoon... did you? if you didn't doesn't it make it all a bit mute?

or even moot?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I expected this thread to be about an uncomfortable saddle! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    The trick to putting on tyres is to make sure that as you work your way around the tyre putting the bead into the rim hook, you push the tyre parallel to the rim circumference so that when you get to the last part it goes on easily.

And apparently to use a spoon :wink:
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.