Conditions in Scotland. Kirroughtree etc.

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited February 2010 in Routes
I'm supposed to be up in Scotland for the 6th and 7th of March doing Kirroughtree, Mabbie and Dalbeattie.

Can anyone tell me what the trails are like. I don't fancy travelling all that way to find I can only walk the routes due to snow and ice.

If it's bad I'll head south to Wales unless that's just as bad?????

Comments

• I rode Kirroughtree a couple of weeks ago, and conditions were perfect. Cool but not freezing, lots of winter sun and no wind. The only ice on the trail were small patches on shaded uphill fire track which caused no problems.

I has snowed in most of scotland since then, not sure about the Dumfries area specifically, but i'm sure the trails will be open.

Check http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-69afrj for up-to-date info on trail conditions
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    this feed. http://7stanes.blogspot.com/

is quite good for regular (almost daily at the moment) updates on trail conditions for the 7stanes as well as the FC page.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • GT was fine apart from the higher level trails. Spooky Wood had quite a bit of snow and signifcant ice on the trail making it quite trecherous...still rideable but at very low speeds and the feet unclipped. I'd imagine the black run up to the transmitter tower will be similar. probabl similar conditions over in the Dumfries area

However please be aware there has been signifcant snow up here over the last few days. Ayshire had a ton of snow yesterday and futher north, Glencoe has had the highest snow fall of any ski resort in the world this week stating on their website they have "epic amounts of snow on the hill". Think i'll park the bike and grab the snowbaord this weekend
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • Last Sunday thermometer said around 4degrees light snow fell but Mabie rode v fast. No ice, and only a little mud. Satdy Eve Whinlatter was very icy in places high up on south loop espesh after dark. Wud b good to know altitude of these venues for this time of yr. Whinlatter is obviously far higher altitude than mabie, not sure bout rest of 7 stanes
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    <looks out window>

It's horrible here. Stay in bed/

OTOH we're off to Kirroughtree in 2 weeks so I expect it to be tropical by then. GT's higher slopes are still affected by the snow from xmas but by comparison KT is much more low-down- Glentress bottom car park is almost at the same level as the highest point at kirroughree I think.
    Uncompromising extremist