Winter Boots or Overshoes?

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Getting very tired of wet feet atm. I've lost my overshoes, but to be honest they were never much cop, in fact I've gone through a fair few pairs over the years. So now wondering if Winter Boots would be a better idea. I know a few people have them, it'd be good to hear some opinions/experiences.

Cheers.

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Can't you just use something like Nikwax to waterproof your existing shoes? have been meaning to buy some myself and test it out on such things.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    they're very good at what they do going through puddles etc you're still dry as... the only downside is getting water in through the ankle whole.. Lit gets around this by stretching the tights over the shoes (only works when wearing longs obviously)

feel a bit clunky though

cheaper in the long run though I think and will extend the life of your other cycling shoes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    Kiblams wrote:
    Can't you just use something like Nikwax to waterproof your existing shoes? have been meaning to buy some myself and test it out on such things.

Dunno, given the amount of vents in my shoes I wonder what effect this would have come the summer. I think Boots or Overshoes has to be the better option, although boots looks rather pricey.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I love my Specialized Defrosters. Got them in December after a month of numb toes, and have had toasty-warm feet ever since. Normal thin socks on the inside and they are good down to just below freezing, below that I wear (thin) ski socks. Much less faff than wearing overshoes, and no delicate bits to wear out quickly. I justified the expense, on the basis that they'd last for years and I wouldn't be wearing out my Summer shoes as quickly.
    Couple of disadvantages:
    Because they're waterproof the sweat has nowhere to go, so they do get damp inside; shoes live on the towel radiator overnight, luckily SWMBO hasn't objected yet.
    Big hole at the top where your ankle goes in. Got plenty of water inside last night, after being forced to ride through puddles that were more like oceans. That said, because the amount of water inside is fairly low, they act a bit like a wetsuit so your feet stay warm. High ankles keep almost all the water out in more moderate conditions.

Got mine in Condor, surprisingly they were cheaper than anywhere else...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've just bought some shimano winter boots, first ride it pissed it down my feet still got damp about as much as they were whem my overshoes were brand new.

The rub was though without the mesh in the top my feet were still lovely and warm with one pair of socks also i decided to buy one size bigger than my regular shoes so I can get a couple of pairs of socks in when it's really cold.

£35 every winter for overshoes (at least) vs £120 on some boots that should last 3 years minimum. no brainer I reckon plus boots are quicker to get on than shoes and overshoes.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I'm trying to ignore the pre order emails from my Northwave distributor for next years winter boots! This thread isn't helping!! But £140 on boots is probably wiser spending than the matching mitts for my posey shoes
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    My Altura Stretch-shield overshoes do a decent job, are lightweight, and durable.
    They don't look great but perform better than expected.

Usual problem with overshoes is water seeping in through the ankle gap. But because they use velcro, you can tighten them up more if you want.

I walked in them over the winter months, and they are still ok 6 months later.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Having tried, tested and destroyed a number of overshoes I finally settled on BBB Ultraflex Overshoes following a recommendation on here and found them to be excellent.

However being a compulsive upgraded I bought a pair of Lake MX140 winter boots at the weekend and I don't think I'll ever be going back to overshoes again. They are excellent.

Yes, if the water comes in the top then you get just as wet (worse because the water can't get out) but my feet have never been as wam and dry when cycling in the wind and the rain. I think they will be too walm to use all year round, but at the moment they are a godsend.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I've found the Specialized defrosters for £80 at http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized- ... 9-0-0.html
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I use Sealskinz socks inside my shoes. Warm, dry and not cumbersome. Still get wet feet if water is more than 12" deep though
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • Kiblams wrote:

Good lord: you must live in the tropical, warm part of Derbyshire, not the cold wet bit I know.

It's the warmth more than repellancy I'm after. AS a couple of others have pointed out - spend some good money on a pair of socks, and at least a pair of neoprene outers for the very depths of winter. Hopefully you'll still have ten toes come spring...

Sorry, no knowledge on the boots. I can only presume they're better for warmth, the question in my mind would centre on water repellancy (once water gets in it'll stay in - having said that it'l probably still be warmer!)
  • I have a pair of northwave waterproof boots and they are great for the winter. always keep my feet warm in every weather with only one pair of socks, BUT....

....as for waterproof.... not the greatest. they are good for keeping you dry from puddles and spray etc but if it is raining heavily they have no chance. the water just runs down your legs into the boots and they gradually fill up with water (still stay warm though).

I think if i was to get another pair I would look more at the shimano ones with the tighter seal to see if that made any difference.

But as for warmth in the winter wouldn't be without them.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    they're very good at what they do going through puddles etc you're still dry as... the only downside is getting water in through the ankle whole.. Lit gets around this by stretching the tights over the shoes (only works when wearing longs obviously)

feel a bit clunky though

cheaper in the long run though I think and will extend the life of your other cycling shoes

I would highly recommend the Northwave ones that CP and I both have - as he says they're waterproof apart from the holes where you put your feet in, and there are ways around that.

Pair them with some sealskinz socks and your feet will remain bone dry.

Also, keep hold of newspapers - stuff your shoes with newspaper to help dry them.
  • prawny
    I have a pair of northwave waterproof boots and they are great for the winter. always keep my feet warm in every weather with only one pair of socks, BUT....

....as for waterproof.... not the greatest. they are good for keeping you dry from puddles and spray etc but if it is raining heavily they have no chance. the water just runs down your legs into the boots and they gradually fill up with water (still stay warm though).

I think if i was to get another pair I would look more at the shimano ones with the tighter seal to see if that made any difference.
    But as for warmth in the winter wouldn't be without them.

I can answer that for you now. No. Still love em though. I think to keep the water out completely you'd need waterproof overtrousers to overlap the top of the shoes.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Clever Pun wrote:

feel a bit clunky though

I would highly recommend the Northwave ones that CP and I both have - as he says they're waterproof apart from the holes where you put your feet in, and there are ways around that.

Pair them with some sealskinz socks and your feet will remain bone dry.

Also, keep hold of newspapers - stuff your shoes with newspaper to help dry them.

I've got them too - in Road and MTB guises - both great - and for those really cold clubruns this winter I've been using them, plus merino socks, plus ski socks, plus overshoes, and been just about warm enough...!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • il_principe
    Anyone know where I can find these mythical Northwave ones? My GoogleFu is failing me for once.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    Asprilla wrote:

Sorry should have been clear, I need the SPD version as this is for the commute.
  • prawny
    Asprilla wrote:

Sorry should have been clear, I need the SPD version as this is for the commute.

Same one but called celcius(sp?)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    Cheers!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Had the Emdura MT-500 overshoes but they lasted about 5 mins. Took them back to the LBS and they said that I've been walking in them and that they're not designed for that.

The only walking I had done in them was from the house to the bike shed and at work; from the rack to the office. After a lot of arguing, they relented and coughed up.

Now use sealskinz socks and accept that the shoes are going to get wet.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    AW have got 30% off clothes until the end of February if you can make it over to Reading - can't remember if that includes footwear though, so may be worth a call?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    prawny wrote:
    £35 every winter for overshoes (at least) vs £120 on some boots that should last 3 years minimum. no brainer I reckon plus boots are quicker to get on than shoes and overshoes.

The boots are cheaper than you imply - the overshoes are worn a relative handful of times (ie when it rains) and still tend to disintegrate. Even my crap Lidl cycling shoes which cost £20 have lasted nearly a year so far with minimal signs of wear so if you'd use up a pair of boots after only wearing them a few times, you must be buying them from the wrong shop :lol:

And of course, any time you are wearing the boots, you aren't wearing your other shoes. In reality, the real cost of the boot option is the difference in price between those boots and the shoes you'd boot the overshoes over. If you see what I mean :lol:

And, as you say, the boots are less hassle. Might get some to go with the sealskin socks.
    Faster than a tent.......