'Clip-on' tri-bars...good idea for touring?

simonn
simonn Posts: 88
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hello,

Just a bit of idle speculation really...I'm wondering if anyone here uses clip-on tri-bars when touring to try to increase comfort/keep speed up?

I was thinking along the lines of

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/1610073/UK

as it has flip-up arm-rests so that you can still use the tops for climbing.

Any ideas or experience of using anything similar?

Cheers,

Si.

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I don't see why you'd want tri-bars when touring. You won't see anything. I purposely went for flat handlebars instead of drops on mine, because I know i'd end up just staring at my computer tick over and not looking around the places i'm going through. Although they would offer a variation in position I suppose.
  • simonn
    Hi RJH,

Yeah,it was the greater variety of riding positions that got me thinking,plus the fact that I'm doing a few Audax events too.

Cheers,

Si,
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There was a discussion about this on Crazy Guy on Your Bike. Certainly there are plenty people who do use aero/tri-bars.

I think it's one of those things where you have to try it out to see if it works for you.
  • I've just been looking at them in 'the long distance cyclists handbook' and thought they were a good idea too.

You will have to check the audax rules to see if they are allowed tho.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Tri-bars are allowed in UK audax events, though it's good manners not to use them when riding in a group. Should you have PBP ambitions, note they are banned by law in all mass start races/events in France.

For touring, I would imagine their usefulness would vary depending on where you were - good on a US coast to coast, just a burden in the Alps.
  • simonn
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.
    No danger of me doing PBP,hah-hah!

I'll take a punt on a set and see how they work-out:expect to see them listed on Ebay sometime soon!

Cheers,

Si.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Have you considered spinaci bars? Great for additional hand positions without having to get down and miss the scenery.
  • miggers
    miggers Posts: 269
    I never felt the need for them when touring Si, always found enough positions on drop bars... I would invest in decent padded bar tape and mitts. I still have numb little and ring fingers from prefering tanned hands to comfort :(

Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • simonn
    Hi Solis & Miggers,

Thank-you for your replies...defo right about decent padded mits!

Cheers,

Si.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I am a big fan of the things and have used them for fast/light touring on my road bike. Have also used them for audax although as pointed out already don't go near them in a group.

The position is very comfortable indeed and it adds significant speed. I miss them when they are not there. I don't have them on my touring bike but mainly as I am a lot faster than my girlfriend as it is so there wouldn't be a lot of point.

Even without flip-up pads I find I can still climb fine with them on the bike, there is still a bit of room on the tops (I use 42cm bars.)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you get a nice position on them then I'd say tribars would be a definite asset. Comfort and lower aero profile. I dont think you need to go too low with them = just narrow helps out with the wind and you can support your upper body on the pads.