blue ribble

sally65
sally65 Posts: 76
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
can anyone tell me [roughly] what height you should be for a 52cm, common as muck blue ribble winter frame. Ive heard ribble measure up large.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Assuming it's the horizontal one, a 52cm ribble is rough equivalent to a 56cm (with a short headtube), so 5'10" - 5'11"
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • many thanks.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    I have the flat top tube version in a 54cm size.
    I am 5'8" and it's spot on
    52cm should fit about 5'5" to about 5'10 I think
    But easy on the common as muck bit..............they're common 'cos they're good :wink:
    I ride therefore I am
  • I'm 5'10" and 52 is perfect size for me.
  • thats spot on thanks. I'm building up a bike for a friend as a surprize. It would give game away if I asked for his inside leg measurements. 5'10" is spot on.
  • afcbian wrote:
    But easy on the common as muck bit..............they're common 'cos they're good :winuote]
    Yes I agree. Good but common just like myself. cheers
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I'm 5'7" and my 52 is too long. In hindsight, I would have gone for a 50.
  • have you tried changing the stem?
  • redddraggon
    afcbian wrote:
    But easy on the common as muck bit..............they're common 'cos they're good :wink:

I have a 50cm, and the top tube is 55cm, a 54cm has a 58cm Top tube, and that is far too long for someone who is 5'8".

A 52cm has a 56cm Top tube, and I'd say that was for someone 5'9" +

Winter trainer = Ribble 7005

FrameGeometryHorizontalChart.gif

FrameGeometryHorizontal.gif
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    sally65 wrote:
    have you tried changing the stem?

Aye, I run a 8cm stem and it's just about okish. Oddly though, I still get toe rub on it. Worst of both worlds.

If I knew then what I know know etc. I bought the bike based on seat tube length alone...
  • afcbian
    I have just checked mine and the frame is 54cm (dimension A1) from crank to top of tube and 55cm horizontal. It has a 100mm stem (which I changed from 130mm) and as stated is perfectly set up for me at 5'8"
    So I stand corrected as my frame would appear to be smaller than I first thought :cry:
    I ride therefore I am
  • redddraggon
    afcbian wrote:
    I have just checked mine and the frame is 54cm (dimension A1) from crank to top of tube and 55cm horizontal. It has a 100mm stem (which I changed from 130mm) and as stated is perfectly set up for me at 5'8"
    So I stand corrected as my frame would appear to be smaller than I first thought :cry:

Aye, it sounds like a 50cm like mine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    sally65 wrote:
    thats spot on thanks. I'm building up a bike for a friend as a surprize. It would give game away if I asked for his inside leg measurements. 5'10" is spot on.

You could ask on the basis that you'd seen a really nice pair of jeans that you thought would suit him, but they were only available in a short/regular/long (ie wrong) leg length :wink: then multiply by 0.65 (according to Ribbles guide)
    Cycling weakly
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I can't get enough of those Bluueeeee Ribble blues.............

80's thing. tv n that

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=14985375739&topic=4677
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    a 54cm has a 58cm Top tube

57cm :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    geometry table reading fail
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    I only know cos I've got one.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    The frame sizes are really misleading, especially considering they are a traditional horizontal frame.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • afcbian
    Don't care what size mine is....................It fits me and I love it :D
    I ride therefore I am
  • done all the sums. the x.0.65 thing. all seems to be ok. Anyone care to guess how many blue ribbles there is in Britain? maybe we should all meet up one day.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Those Geometry charts on their website can't be relied on from what I have seen.

They told me they changed the frame just before I got mine and the new one is slightly different geometry and tube profiles to the previous one.
    Mine is 16 months old and a 56cm frame. The top tube is 57cm and the headtube is 18cm.
    I am 6' with 34" inside leg.

Mine's the one on the right:

4391156207_72f2c78794_b.jpg
  • mother nature should of given us all the same sized legs.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    sally65 wrote:
    mother nature should of given us all the same sized legs.

Should've, or should have (Sorry! Sorry sorry sorry... couldn't help it.. that one really gets me..!)
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    shudup
  • balthazar wrote:
    sally65 wrote:

Should've, or should have (Sorry! Sorry sorry sorry... couldn't help it.. that one really gets me..)
    you are right. pathetic. but right.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    sally65 wrote:
    balthazar wrote:
    sally65 wrote:

Should've, or should have (Sorry! Sorry sorry sorry... couldn't help it.. that one really gets me..)
    you are right. pathetic. but right.
    Pathetic?! Oh come on. I couldn't have been much more contrite. With the rise of internet exchanges, writing has become a major form of communication for many of us – what's so wrong about pointing out each other's linguistic howlers every so often? It aids the common good, doesn't it? The threads on Cake Stop about this show that everybody seems to care – yet dare to mention it, and you get shouted down.
  • a_n_t
    The frame sizes are really misleading, especially considering they are a traditional horizontal frame.

they make good TT frames with that low front end.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    sturmey wrote:
    They told me they changed the frame just before I got mine and the new one is slightly different geometry and tube profiles to the previous one.
    Mine is 16 months old and a 56cm frame. The top tube is 57cm and the headtube is 18cm.
    I am 6' with 34" inside leg.

Looks like they have made the top tube a bit shorter and head tube a bit longer, then. Should be a welcome change for most of us. When did you buy yours?

I might get one in the future, and also being 6' and having 34" legs, I'd probably need a 56 as well. What length stem do you use?
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Looks like they have made the top tube a bit shorter and head tube a bit longer, then. Should be a welcome change for most of us. When did you buy yours?

I might get one in the future, and also being 6' and having 34" legs, I'd probably need a 56 as well. What length stem do you use?

Bought new in November 2008.

I use a 12cm stem. I switched from an 11cm one.
    56 is the right size frame for me.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Ribble have a load of the 7005 frames in their frame clearance, priced at £49.95 or £59.95 by the look of it.