My first MTB Marathon....what can I expect?

saracen fan
saracen fan Posts: 389
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
I have signed up to my first MTB marathon which is the CRC MTB marathon series, the event I have entered is the half marathon 35-50km in Ruthin, wales on sept 19 2010.

Basically I just want to know what to expect and get any pointers I can from you wise, knowledgeable people! 8)

also who else here is going?
Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Have a look in the XC section someone asked a similar question with regards the The Ruthin Marathon a fewweeks ago

Here www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673030

That ^ should cover most of your questions.
  • ah :oops:

cheers mate,

Im worrying about my bikes capabilitys for this sort of thing, its a Saracen trance 1

do you guys think it could handle it?
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    ah :oops:

cheers mate,

Im worrying about my bikes capabilitys for this sort of thing, its a Saracen trance 1

do you guys think it could handle it?

The bike will be fine as long as its well maintained. I'd be more concerned with your own abilities than the bikes. :wink: .

Just get out there and do it . You only live once.
  • lol yeh that as well!

im doing it for sure.....might kill me but hey ho!

whats a good way to train? apart from ride obvoiusly lol

Saracen Trace 1
  • Simply put, you need to get the miles in.

In an ideal world, you'll be doing an hour each mon, wed and friday and then a long ride on sunday.

Take monday as a normal ride, normal pace.

Wednesday as hill day - find the steepest hills and climb them, rinse and repeat

Friday is a Fun Day - Intervals. Find a fairly flat hour long loop, and every 10 mins or so, go as fast as you can for a minute, increasing to two minutes after a couple of weeks.

Sunday - go for a least a 20 miler on variable terrain - get your OS maps out and go on bridleways etc.

If you're not used to this sort of schedule, start of slower with smaller distances, increasing as you get fitter.

The lazy option and bare minimum is a long ride at least once a week, but try and get as much in as you can, start slow and build it up.

When you're climbing past people who are pushing their (more expensive) bikes up hills and finish in the top third it's all worth it.

There's no worse feeling than having to push up the first proper climb because you haven't trained enough, but it still happens at most events.
  • cheers again matty,
    is food for thought definately, im currently riding to work 5 days a week and the ride in is literally 1.5miles uphill, and a steep one at that, I can get to work in about 10minutes if im taking it fairly easy and about 8mins if going for it.

the ride home is entirely downhill and easy lol

maybe work on getting to work quicker and less knackered whilst im doing it?

Saracen Trace 1
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just extend your rides home a few times a week - you're out on the bike anyway so you may as well.
  • +1 for that - the thing is to get used to being on your bike for an extended period of time.

The weekend ride will build up your endurance - but tbh if you're communting everyday then your fitness should be OK.
  • cool, yeh I will get out for 20mile rides and see what happens.....was thinking if i could do the black, red, and black again trails round thetford in one go then I will pretty much be there?

Saracen Trace 1
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    I have signed up for the 75km marathon in september and this is my first. Im based in Hitchin not too far from Thetford and done the black and red route one after the other then another quick blast through the beast again for good measure and found that not too much of a problem. Mind you wasnt going around at mack 3 lol. The one huge difference though is gonna be the hills.
    I dont regard myself as fit enough to do the 75km marathon but im sure going to have fun getting fit for it. If all fails i can bail out and do the 50km one. 75km is my target though.
    I have a good 23 mile route around my area which takes on some big climbs in Barton Hills which is part of the Chiltens so hoping nearer the event i will be able to cover two laps comfortably.
    Good luck mate :wink:
  • Good ideas guys, cheers 8)

Will start training as soon as my tyres arrive from CRC, the mountain kings I have have given me releantless punchtures and I have had enough!

ordered some michelin XC hard terrain tyres which I will use to train/commute on and will buy some additional tyres for when it rains (dunno which ones yet, ideas anyone?)

Saracen Trace 1