rear wheel 32/36 hole?

warthog562
warthog562 Posts: 40
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
can anyone please recomend a rear road wheel of the shelf that has 32 or preferably 36 spokes. looking for something of reasonable quality and have a budget of up to 250 pounds.

everything I look at only seems to have 24 or 28 spokes, which is just not enough for my fat arse as I have 24 spoke bontrager wheels and snap spokes on a regular basis and I am told they are just not up to my wieght and rough roads combined. I am a regular commuter so always have back pack on as well.

cheers
trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    been searching for the same - if its a 130mm spacing - and couldn't find anything factory built,

but my LBS offered to buld me a 36 mavic a119 (they look pretty solid) for about £120 on a decent named-group shimano road hub - well within your budget (unfortnately not within mine)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'd got with 36h handbuilt Open Pros. Also check out iPete's thread about touring wheels.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • warthog562 wrote:
    everything I look at only seems to have 24 or 28 spokes, which is just not enough for my fat ars* as I have 24 spoke bontrager wheels and snap spokes on a regular basis and I am told they are just not up to my wieght and rough roads combined. I am a regular commuter so always have back pack on as well.

I've just bought some Hope road wheels. 32 spoke mavic open pro rim couple to the hope road hubs. Rear is about £190 IIRC which is within your budget. They come with spare spokes and because the rim and spokes are standard off the shelf components you can replace them if they break or wear out. Its also easy to get spares for the hub if you need them. I've had them a few months now on my CX bike with 35c tyres and they have stood up to some hard impacts on and off road already. Basically this is an off the shelf equivalent to a handbuilt wheel. :)

I'm no lightweight either at 200lbs + back pack. I was using Aksiums before this and at the time I was happy with them but there is a lot less flex in the back wheel of this set in comparison.

Mike