Replacement Brake Pads

markshaw77
markshaw77 Posts: 437
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Winter has taken its toll on yet another bike part and I need some new cartridge pads for my SS...

First off....I have Tektro R538 brakes (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tektro_538_Road_Brake_Calliper_Set/5360016307/) so which cartridge pads will fit? Shimano-fit, Campy-fit, either or something else?

Secondly....any recommendations for brands/models? I have always used and been happy with Kool Stop dual compound pads for the V-brakes on my hybrid, so was looking at the Kool-Stop salmons, but if anyone has good experience of others, it would be good to hear...

Cheers

Comments

• Firstly, when they Shimano-fit, they actually mean not Campag fit. Everything other than campag is pretty much Shimano fit.

Secondly, I thought a cartridge was a cartridge was a cartridge.

Thidly, I use these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBE-Shimano-Dura- ... _982wt_762

I like them a lot.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Koolstop salmons, the best I've used and last forever.

+1 on what elephant says, I've got tektro brakes too, took me ages to figure that one out.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another vote for Koolstops. Just fitted them, albeit the dry weaher (black) pads.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    +1 for salmon koolstops

good stopping power
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I've found that koolstops are too vicious on the rear wheel with V brakes - you just end up skidding too much, especially with slicks.

I run koolstops on the front and 'over the counter' (clarks at present?) pads on the back.

Bob
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    I used replacement Fibrax sintered, terrible they were on the bike for a week. Used Goodridge sintered pretty good, but without doubt the best pad substance is the resin, shame only Shimano do them (or do they?) at double the price of standard pads, but great almost no difference between wet and dry, plus very quiet and smooth, but they wear very quickly.
  • Cheers guys - why does it not say anywhere that Shimano Pads will fits Tektro brakes - pretty critical bit of information IMO if you are selling brakesets with cartridge pads :evil: :evil:

Looks like KoolStop Salmons it is..............
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    markshaw77 wrote:
    Cheers guys - why does it not say anywhere that Shimano Pads will fits Tektro brakes - pretty critical bit of information IMO if you are selling brakesets with cartridge pads :evil: :evil:

Looks like KoolStop Salmons it is..............

It doesn't you have to buy some and hope for the best. Also any shimano pads will fit in any cartridge holder you're not limited to the first brand you buy. That was also a gamble that paid off :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017