Wax Lube/ Rusty Chain!

imnotjohn
imnotjohn Posts: 72
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi..

Ive been using a dry wax chain lube for a while and all has been well. I like it etc..

Anyway, Ive gone for a ride in the rain and there seems to be surface rust appearing on the chain. I cleaned the chain off, re-lubed (2 coats). All was fine until another wet ride (on the road so just rain) and once again the rust has appeared. ( I assume its rust).

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Ive been using Bikehut Drywax Lube, I haven't tried any other makes.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    my homemade wax has been on for 3 weeks in all weathers and is still perfect :D ... but being Home made its dif to yours, so i dont have a clue... use a good wet lube....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Bikehut dry wax lube is intended for dry dusty conditions. If your using your bike in the wet you either want an all weather dry lube or a wet lube.

Dawg
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I'm now running Rocol Chain Lube FG in wet conditions - a good mate of mine works for a major bearing/industrial supplies company and showed it to me. Amazing stuff and we are pretty sure it is the same as the stuff that comes on a brand new chain. Well worth hunting out.... :D
  • You could buy a chain with full zinc coating, e.g. XTR. Or use the wax lube more often. On a wet 40km ride, I will wash the mud off and relube the chain at least once.
  • Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Ive got a different dry lube to try 'Muc off', see how I get on with that.

Thanks again...
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Wet lube generally performs better in poor/wet conditions but there are some wax based ones that dont do too bad.

My personal favorate is Squirt ( http://www.in2dust.co.uk/ ) which does work pretty well even in the wet.

But it's still not quite as good as a good old wet lube when riding in wet/muddy conditions.

I've gone back to wet lube till we hit summer again then i'll be using the squirt.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Skonk wrote:
    Wet lube generally performs better in poor/wet conditions but there are some wax based ones that dont do too bad.

My personal favorate is Squirt ( http://www.in2dust.co.uk/ ) which does work pretty well even in the wet.

But it's still not quite as good as a good old wet lube when riding in wet/muddy conditions.

I've gone back to wet lube till we hit summer again then i'll be using the squirt.

Thanks for the linky. They send out free samples :D

Dawg
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I agree with the squirt suggestion. It's all the hub in the forest at Glentress use on their hire bikes and they know a thing or two about bikes!!!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Works even better after it's been in the freezer.
  • mikeage
    mikeage Posts: 150
    .blitz wrote:

heh! just signed up for a sample, never tried much else other than Finish Line wet/dry so interested to see how this gets on!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    .blitz wrote:

Or just leave it the shed over winter :lol:
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    ok, here is what happened to my chain after using squirt for a few weeks....

Photo0144.jpg

Not massively impressed I must say. This is from leaving it out over night for 5 nights (when it was massively hot with mimimal dew) and one ride in very light drizzle. In Squirts defense, the links all move as freely as they should.

I've got a new chain, and this one is going on a rat bike so no real dramas, but not what i was expecting tbh. I dont think I will subject my new chain to squirt when the time comes.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    as said earlier , use full zinc plated chains , stay shiney no matter what type of lube.
    keeping anything metal outside exposed to open air / dampness is never gonna look too clever TBH. :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The only thing wax is good for is making candles and polishing furniture.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Couldnt have put it better myself, stubs! :P :lol:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I use Weldtite TF2 lube most of the time, because its about 2quid a 400ml can. I also use various different motorbike chain waxes and lubes for more winter/wet riding. And for long distance enduro stuff in the dry I use a dry motorbike lube.

I buy it in reasonable bulk. As long as you are not using WD40 or engine oil, its about frequent lubing rather than what you use.

I really doubt there is much difference between motorbike lubes and cycle lubes. If anything the motorbike lubes will be gentler due to the different materials used in motorbike chains.

Its always a balance - a fine lube wont pick up dirt, but it wont last long. A thicker lube will last, but will pick up dirt. Chain waxes are not a bad compromise. Also important to clean the chain too - parafin or iso pro alcohol is good for that