Parliamentary candidate attempting to ban towpath cycling

phil s
phil s Posts: 1,128
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Apologies to those to whom this post will mean nothing, but for many London cyclists this will be of some importance. The local Conservative Party candidate for my area (Westminster North) is trying to get cycling banned on canal towpaths, according to her most recent newsletter. I have raised the issue with her via Twitter @Joanne_Cash and have also notified the London Cycling Campaign. British Waterways own website says cyclists don't need permits to cycle on towpaths in London, but should adhere to a code of conduct - as with anything in life, one should behave with reason and respect for others.

Anyway, here is the text from the offending newsletter -

"We are liaising with the police and various interested groups to alleviate the problem cycling has on residents in Regent's Park ward.
For example, we are in discussion with British Waterways to help get cyclists off the towpaths and prevent them from accessing pathways through housing estates such as Wharncliffe Gardens. And with the introduction this year of the Mayor's cycle hire scheme we are getting a number of docking stations within the ward.
We have successfully opposed several of these stations which have been considered inappropriate including one located outside a listed building. Councils will have the ability to veto these stations after installation, if they are deemed to be causing problems."

Like I said, I have sent a few messages via twitter @phil_sheehan. Feel free to add your tweets, please keep the language clean and free of hyperbole. That's how to campaign and make your voices heard.
-- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Is this a seat likely to be won by her?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I don't know about the local issue, but on the occasions I've used towpaths as a pedestrian near Angel (a popular bike route), they are often a complete menance. For a moment I join the anti-bike brigade as the complete bullying of people on foot and disregard for other path users isn't confined to the odd oik, but people on the way to work who probably behave well once off two wheels.

If I'm pro-bike and young enough to be nimble and I think that bikes on the towpath are out of hand then I don't know how old people, mum's and leisure walkers feel.

So, I wouldn't dismiss the PPCs point out of hand just because it sounds like the typical media hatred of bikes.
  • People will cycle on Towpaths regardless of any ban. It would be un-enforcable. It would also be a civil offence, not a criminal offence, so the only thing that could happen to anybody being caught is them being reported, the Police wouldn't get involved.

Classic Conservative NIMBY by the sounds of it.

But still worth Londoners commenting on to highlight the negative effects a ban could potentially have on the health of the local community, the impact on local road traffic and the fact that a Conservative candidate is trying to reverse the progress London has made to make cycling safer and more accessible.

A great opportunity to show the Conservatives in a negative light.
  • rick_chasey
    If it's a safe Labour or Lib Dem seat, I'd save the effort.

I know of uni students being asked to stand for parties that will never get a chance in ridiculously safe seats just to get some experience for their CV.
  • If it's a safe Labour or Lib Dem seat, I'd save the effort.

I know of uni students being asked to stand for parties that will never get a chance in ridiculously safe seats just to get some experience for their CV.

Yeah, the method (so I understand) is that (in both the 2 main parties, don't know about the Lib Dems) people stand the first time for a seat that's pretty well unobtainable, then they get a far more cushty one next time around.
  • phil s
    So in other words you reckon it's not worth making the voices of cyclists heard and quashing this nonsense? You'd all rather come on the message board here and moan about how badly you're treated/perceived?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I thought you needed a permit to cycle on towpaths anyway.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • davmaggs
    So in other words you reckon it's not worth making the voices of cyclists heard and quashing this nonsense? You'd all rather come on the message board here and moan about how badly you're treated/perceived?

You haven't told us what action that you've taken?
  • phil s
    davmaggs wrote:

You haven't told us what action that you've taken?

If you read my original post, you will see that I have aired this issue publicly on the candidate's Twitter page and I have also spoken to the London Cycling Campaign who are disseminating this to their local groups.
  • phil s
    Agent57 wrote:
    I thought you needed a permit to cycle on towpaths anyway.

Pls note the second paragraph

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/permit
  • davmaggs
    I did read the post and I assumed that you'd done other activities like speaking to the candidate.

Spending less than two minutes on twitter and emailing another organisation so they can do the work wasn't what I had in mind.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Aye, I read that in your first post. Sorry, my point wasn't at all clear (got distracted). I thought cyclists needed a permit to cycle on towpaths, yet I don't know anyone who has one. Yet they still use the towpaths; I think theblender's right, and no one will heed any such ban. And I imagine it'd be too much of a hassle for British Waterways or the police to enforce. I don't really think she's likely to get very far with her wish, and even if she did, I doubt it'd make any practical difference.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rick_chasey
    phil s wrote:

I make my' voice heard' with the ballot box.

I think the residents who live there will do too.

Anyway, the issue with cyclist won't be solved by having a 'voice' which is louder than others.
  • phil s
    davmaggs wrote:
    I did read the post and I assumed that you'd done other activities like speaking to the candidate.

Spending less than two minutes on twitter and emailing another organisation so they can do the work wasn't what I had in mind.

Perhaps you'd care to come round and look after my sick 15-month-old and then I can get out and speak to her. FFS.
  • rick_chasey
    phil s wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:

Perhaps you'd care to come round and look after my sick 15-month-old and then I can get out and speak to her. FFS.

I'm sure he didn't know your domestic situation.

Singling out a candidate who has no chance of being elected is not likely to achieve much other than a mail-esq headline as seen in this thread.

I DO think that lobbying as 'cyclists' doesn't achieve much, and it leads people to consider anyone on a bike as part of an agressive pressure group, which , as far as I can see, is not beneifical for the majority of people who ride bicycles.
    A culture of mutual respect between cars and bicycles is what we're looking for, not dominating and 'quashing' anything that is "anti-cycling".

Safety is perhaps the exception, but even that should be dealt with, with tact and political awareness, not angry chest thumping.
  • phil s
    Rick, I did say that if people want to say something on the matter then to do so without resorting to hyperbole.
    As far as I can see from the newsletter I received it isn't just JC's newsletter but one for the Conservatives in this area, including two sitting councillors. Now, to be perfectly frank I am not really into towpath cycling but I think that banning towpath cycling, where it is currently allowed, sets all sorts of other precedents. What next? Cyclists off roads and onto designated bikepaths? TBH, I am slightly surprised at the general apathy here. The LCC, when I spoke to them earlier, were very interested. Anyhow, on that note I will leave this debate as I have my hands full here at the mo. Peace.
  • davmaggs
    My point wasn't to offend, but when you had a dig at the community on this site about what is a local issue and something that non-residents can't actually vote on then I felt the need to question your actions.

Posting on facebook, twitter, or smashing out an quick email doesn't count as action if you want something done. There's been various people raising similar issues on BR before, and yet they themselves don't care enough to make a single phone call or take a few minutes to send one physical letter. Yet, they want others to get involved.

A candidate is mad keen to get votes, especially in a seat they can't win as it will show them having an impact in a place they weren't expected to do well in. They then get offered a better seat next time around.