Low sun warning.

MichaelW
MichaelW Posts: 2,164
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Now that winter is behind us and the days are getting longer you may have noticed an strange, bright orange thing moving around the sky. Dont worry, its perfectly normal, however, if this is your first year of commuting take note:

In spring and autumn, you can experience a low sun on an East-West axis. If your ride is towards the East in the morning and the West in the evening you could find yourself riding into a low sun.
Drivers behind you will have difficulty seeing you no matter how much luminous clothing you wear and no matter how bright your lights are. Matters are even worse when the sun is shining onto a wet road.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good point. Need to get more contact lenses so I can wear sunnies more regularly.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Yeah, bloody low sun. One would hope that drivers who can't see properly due to low sun would slow down. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MichaelW wrote:
    In spring and autumn, you can experience a low sun on an East-West axis. If your ride is towards the East in the morning and the West in the evening you could find yourself riding into a low sun.

Might be worse the other way round - at least if you can't see clearly ahead of you, you know that anyone potentially pulling out will see you beautifully lit by the morning/evening sun......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sun? What is this, some sort of joke? Have you looked outside? It's raining in London, AGAIN.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    It's low rain too. That's the worst kind cos it gets in your eyes.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Balls.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Balls.

edballs.jpg
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Agent57 wrote:
    Yeah, bloody low sun. One would hope that drivers who can't see properly due to low sun would slow down. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case.

What you mean being able to see ahead for your full stopping distance?
    Don't be absurd.
  • Cafewanda
    :P @ JAsh

I'm sick and diseased but still more inclined to ride home than take PT - at the moment anyway. I need a doctor :(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cafewanda wrote:
    :P @ JAsh

I'm sick and diseased but still more inclined to ride home than take PT - at the moment anyway. I need a doctor :(

Poor thing :( - what you need is http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    If it's raining when I go out of the office in the minute I'm heading straight for London Bridge Station.

Enough is enough! :evil:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Tiz an urban myth there's no sun in this country, lots of rain though - try as I might I not going to get home dry therefore I may as well go the extended route.

Evening porgy ;)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I was about to go home but it's absolutely pissing it down now.

Pub suddenly seems like a good idea. Even if it doesn't stop, riding home in the rain after a few pints isn't anywhere near as unpleasant.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    My helmet has a detachable visor, it took ten months of use for me to realise why.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Low what warning? Sun? What's that?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    iain_j wrote:
    Low what warning? Sun? What's that?
    I think it must be that big grey thing in the sky; it blinds you by spraying cold water in your face...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    What is this 'sun' of which you speak?
  • Cafewanda
    0scar wrote:
    My helmet has a detachable visor, it took ten months of use for me to realise why.

Ditto :oops:

@Rolf F - thanks for the tip. Once I'd stopped feeling sorry for myself, dinner with lots of pepper and a large cup of rum with a hint of coffee - :wink: seems to be working.

Hope to dodge the rain gods tomorrow morning having been bike-less today.
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    if more people wore decent sunglasses the low sun wouldnt be an issue