Riding Autopilot

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
This morning I rode my old commute again - now that this is a once a week sort of thing, I find that I'm not as tuned into it as I was before, and need to think so much more about what is going on around me and how I should be riding.

It got me pondering, when we ride the same route each day, does it make us safer for knowing what to expect, or complacent because we know the route so well?

This morning I found myself thinking a lot more about what I was doing and making far more decisions than I would have done a few months ago. Perhaps it would be a good idea to vary one's commute where possible to a) stop it getting stale and b) negate some of the autopilot effects?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I find it definitely happens when driving. I deliberately change my route to work to stop the 'autopilot'. I don't know if it's as likely to happen if you're riding because you're so much more 'involved'.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I auto-pilot sometimes but then I'm more aware of where and when I'm more likely to get left hooked, right hooked or mowed down by a bus...
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I sometimes arrive at work and have no recollection of the ride in…just day dreaming all the way in. There is a positive side to a regular route – you learn the trouble spots and the right lanes to get in etc.
  • My commute is primarily country lanes. On numerous occassions (in the dark only)I have come to a junction with no recollection of getting there and I think where the f**k am I.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    My commute is primarily country lanes. On numerous occassions (in the dark only)I have come to a junction with no recollection of getting there and I think where the f**k am I.

I get that but I think in my case its the age :roll:

Its called Heisenberg's Syndrome - you can't know who you are and where you are at the same time :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    Maybe a bit of both, but I find that if the route is imprinted in to my subconscious I can use more brain power concentrating on the usual hazards - quite handy given the number of brain cells I have probaly destroyed :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My commute is primarily country lanes. On numerous occassions (in the dark only)I have come to a junction with no recollection of getting there and I think where the f**k am I.

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Maybe a bit of both, but I find that if the route is imprinted in to my subconscious I can use more brain power concentrating on the usual hazards - quite handy given the number of brain cells I have probaly destroyed :)
    I suspect you are right Stevo - there were times when I thought to myself "I really should have known that was coming" and other times where I took a lot more care and saw hazards that I generally took for granted or ignored.

Prob doesn't help thatI had Health and Safety refresher training on Tuesday - yup, so aware now...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

I get that but I think in my case its the age :roll:

Its called Heisenberg's Syndrome - you can't know who you are and where you are at the same time :wink:

Sounds like you mean Heinekkens syndrome :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    I think it's a mixed bag.

Riding a familiar route, I know where all the unmovable hazards are and can anticipate them. Take primary to avoid a pothole without having to ride kerb side of it, or drop back a bit to let a car pass as I know round the corner there will be a parked tow truck that will create a pinch point etc.

I had a groundhog day experience this week. I had the same van, reverse out of their drive in to my path in the low sun three times this week. On the third day I anticipated it and was able to slow down and yell. On the fourth day I left 5 minutes earlier....

However familiarity does breed complacency, and sometimes I'm aware I am not as alert for the unexpected as on a route where I'm thinking hard. That and lack of sleep, no time for an espresso and a head full of work sh!t.

Rufus.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I agree with this. I go the same way each day, so I don't have to think about which way to go at junctions, which lane to be in, what the traffic's going to be like, where the potholes are, what speed to go so that green light up ahead will have gone red and back to green again by the time I get there..... :D
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Roastie wrote:

It got me pondering, when we ride the same route each day, does it make us safer for knowing what to expect, or complacent because we know the route so well?

?

Both:
    On the one hand I've experience of places to be extra carefull
    On the other I'm daydreaming.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Roastie wrote:
    This morning I rode my old commute again - now that this is a once a week sort of thing, I find that I'm not as tuned into it as I was before, and need to think so much more about what is going on around me and how I should be riding.

This morning I found myself thinking a lot more about what I was doing and making far more decisions than I would have done a few months ago. Perhaps it would be a good idea to vary one's commute where possible to a) stop it getting stale and b) negate some of the autopilot effects?

What do you guys think?

Definitely. I changed my winter/commuting bike a few weeks a go. The Sora setup is different to my old commuter. I had to think more about the gear changes and that made me more aware of my surroundings, because I felt a bit more vulnerable.
  • I have had the daydreaming effect once or twice, generally it is not a problem as your subconscious takes over. in terms of performance its meant to mean everything is working perfectly - so will be your best performance... the only problem I have found is coming back to the conscious part of the brain at a weird time :shock: scares the living daylights out of you as you dont know where you are or how you got there while moving at speed :lol:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    I have had the daydreaming effect once or twice, generally it is not a problem as your subconscious takes over. in terms of performance its meant to mean everything is working perfectly - so will be your best performance... the only problem I have found is coming back to the conscious part of the brain at a weird time :shock: scares the living daylights out of you as you dont know where you are or how you got there while moving at speed :lol:

Done that a few times.
  • As others have said, it's a bit of both. However, stats on car/motorcycle driving show most incidents happen within a mile of home as you mentally switch off as you "know all the familiar hazards". Problem is, you get caught out by the unfamiliar - and because you have zoned out you react slower.

That said, there is a lot to be said for knowing your route as you get to know where the likely hazard spots are. Couple of places on my old commute where I could guarantee a ped would weave out from behind parked cars as the traffic was jammed, and a couple where I knew there would be cars turning right across my path. Saw a young lady shoot past me on the bike in the bus lane once and called to her. She slowed to see why and a car cut right in front of her - would have ploughed straight through her (and no, I didn't see the car coming, just wanted to warn her that the same hazard happened at every junction up that long road.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body