Spraying a carbon frame

Stuntman
Stuntman Posts: 267
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Hi Guys and Gals,

I bought a cheap Trek OCLV 5200 from ebay due to the poor paint it had left on it(Trek had issues with some of these models and the paints i am told) I want to get it resprayed.

Does anyone know where I can pay someone to Sand and Spray the Carbon frame so it looks as good as new?

Cheers
Specialized Epic
Specialized Enduro
Specialzied Transition

Comments

• matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    Someone recommended a guy called Dave at Colour Tech. They are based in Dartford Kent so it may not be convenient.
  • Stuntman
    Cheers
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd recommend Atlantic Boulevard in Bury - he's refinished bikes for Trek / British Cycling. His work is top quality - better than any factory finish and more durable too. Be careful on how complex you paintjob is - last one cost me £300.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Stuntman
    ah, will ask their price as it's just a bright white that I want. Taken the old paint off 99% of the frame but not the forks.

I've got the delas for it and not too sure if to have them laquered over or not.
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    i totally agree with mmacavity, argos is a little pricey , 2 colour pearl stove (obviously not on your carbon) £190 but so glossy it looks wet , it was a vitus 979 aero frame . and there after sales is very good . they hardly ever have to , but if the paint started going wrong 2 years down the line etc . they would respray it for free.

cheers TIM (my first post hello)
    Britannia waives the rules
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    timmyturbo wrote:

Hello! Welcome.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    timmyturbo wrote:
    i totally agree with mmacavity, argos is a little pricey , 2 colour pearl stove (obviously not on your carbon) £190 but so glossy it looks wet , it was a vitus 979 aero frame . and there after sales is very good . they hardly ever have to , but if the paint started going wrong 2 years down the line etc . they would respray it for free.

I'll never use argos again, if you want details then pm me, as I will not slate a company that is so well regarded openly. Personally I'd use another company, again pm me for more info.
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    my experience was only steel , which i suppose is the easiest medium to work in , living in Bristol it was my first choice , unyil the local Hells Angels powder coat shop told me they could now do metalic , silver base coat the translucent deep purple , then clear top coat mild mild gold flake , half polished the alloy forks and did the crank arms , still looks new 4 years later £100 = happy days , heres the website if that allowed they do car stuff too ALFA ROMEO rocker cover £30 etc

http://www.realitymotorworks.com/Gallery/pushbikes.htm

Cheers
    Britannia waives the rules
  • timdanaher
    timdanaher Posts: 120
    This is what I'm looking at, and it's all a bit confusing...

Mercian say they'll stove enamel a frame at owner's risk, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Apparently, two-pack painting (isocyanate) is the way to go for carbon frames. It's toxic, so needs special equipment, so can be expensive. The only place I've found so far who does it is Vaz finishes in London: http://www.cycle-finishes.com/

But they don't even have an e-mail address... :shock: ... so no prices from them yet...

Most places talk about stripping the frame first, as well... is this necessary for carbon?
  • Just to update this... Vaz Finishes can, indeed, do this, and for very reasonable prices (£90/frame for a single colour). Have a look at my 'New Cervélo' thread in 'My Road Bike'... spraying, decal application and clear coat over the top was £110.