Shimano Top/Bottom normal and gear shifters

beverick
beverick Posts: 3,461
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
OK, these are probably simple questions to which I should already know the answer but, here goes:

To set the scene, I have two flat bar bikes. One with Deore XT shifters and rear derailleur (9sp M770's). The deraiieur is 'bottom normal'. On the other I have 'vanilla' Deore with 'top normal' rear derailleur (M590 Shifter / 9sp M591 derailleur).

With the XT kit it's a finger pull on the larger, leading lever for down shifts and a thumb push for up changes. On the Deore it's the other way around.

So the questions: Firstly I'm assuming that the shifters and derailleurs are interchangable and that I can run M770 shifter with M591 derailleur and M590 shifter with M770 derailleur?

Secondly, I'd like both bikes to run with XT style 'finger down' changes and, as I'm assuming this is defined by the 'bottom normal' bias on the derailleur and not the shifter' I'd have to change the rear cassette - is this correct?

Bob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need the same type of shifter and rear mech. top/bottom normal as that is the defining factor.

all fully interchangeable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown