Need help figuring what kind of bike I have?

twosaucy
twosaucy Posts: 10
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
So my dad gave me his old bike and now im stumped about what kind of bike it is. There is about 10 different names on it so im just confused. Could someone please help me identify what kind of bike I have? Thanks!

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is an Outland cycle
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Is that all? I have tried searching online and cant find anything. Is this a mountain or road bike? I know those are not the original tires.
  • nicklouse
    it is an MTB
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Do you know of anywhere online that I can see another one for sale. I just want to know all of the specs. Thanks for your imput!
  • nicklouse
    nope.

and most of the parts say what they are anyway.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Probably got a lot of after specced parts. The forks are 1998.
  • so what everyone is getting at is this bike was built around the frame. Parts from this brand, parts from that brand ect.
  • nicklouse
    twosaucy wrote:
    so what everyone is getting at is this bike was built around the frame. Parts from this brand, parts from that brand ect.

just like all bikes.
  • thanks! im new to this whole bike thing. Im glad I posted my question in the beginners forum.
  • nicklouse
    so what are you really trying to find out? want to know?
  • My dad gave me the bike to sell. I wanted to get a little info on it so I could include it in my ad. I also have no idea on how much it is worth.
  • It's not a 'name' brand bike and as such isn't likely to attract any enthusiast interest.

It looks old, but from your pictures either well maintained or has had little use.

As a commuter/pub bike (which there is always a market for it seems) it actually looks fairly good.

I'd guess you could get anywhere between £50 - £80 for it.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • would that be about $60 to $100 american? Thanks!
  • nicklouse
    twosaucy wrote:
    would that be about $60 to $100 american? Thanks!

not really as the "new" prices would have been very different.

also used prices are very different.

If you want US prices ask on a US based site.
  • I didnt realize this was a foreign site. Calm down!

What do you mean by "used prices are very different"?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    As far as used price goes, it's only worth as much as what someone is willing to pay for it. If you want say $100 and someone thinks it's worth $40, then that's all you will get for it. And yes we are foreigners (British site that is). You may be able to get more accurate details from U.S. sites, http://www.mtbr.com/ is probably the most popular, you could also drop the people at http://www.retrobike.co.uk/ a line to see if the can help identify it.
  • Thanks for the info!
  • nicklouse
    twosaucy wrote:
    I didnt realize this was a foreign site. Calm down!

What do you mean by "used prices are very different"?

which is why i informed you :wink: and not a foreign site just one that has most of its users based in the UK.

"stuff" tends to be cheaper in the US than Europe. so what ever value some one puts on an item is based on a different idea of costs.

which is partly why in the fules we have
    15) Do not post "How much is it worth?" topics. If you want to know, look on other sites for a benchmark.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I didnt realize this was a foreign site. Calm down!

Here we have crystalised in a single sentence the American outlook on the world

Reminds me of a Tommy Cooper joke "I phoned up the swimming pool and asked 'Is that the local swiming pool' They said 'Depends where you're phoning from'"
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Shoes
    Shoes Posts: 19
    Bloody hell.....Nothing like a warm welcome :P

Personally with something like that I would just advertise it as a light trails bike with front sus, x number of speeds (number of front rings x number of rear sprockets e.g. generally an 18 speed is 3 x 6) and newish tyres. As Nick said you won't get enthusiast interest so to sell to an average joe they will want to know that it has sus forks, V brakes, x speed and is in good/excellent condition.
    Stafford Photographer - Lawtonsoul Photography

All of your photographic needs covered, from portraiture to weddings.
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    Americans eh, what do they know about bikes? :wink:

Talk about wandering into a xenophobic site!!
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team