Het Nieuwsblad (i.e. Het Volk)

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
edited February 2010 in Pro race
For fear of making afx's life more difficult by making him (her?) trawl through discussions to get to PTP picks, any Niewsblad discussion can be held here.

So, discuss, i guess?

I'm bloody excited. I get more pumped for this than de Ronde because of the winter fast.
And the weather is usually worse.

It reminds me why I like cycling.

Love it.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Looks like our wishes for a dog-rough "classic" have been answered:

- Weather forecast is bad - apparenly a storm with high winds is moving up from Spain and shout hit the area

- Roads are rubbish - Landbouwkredit punctured 11 times on their recce yesterday

- The finish has been changed and now has a run through the town.

However, the last climb is 30 km from the new finish and the last cobbled section is 20 km which might be a bit far for a solo bid, given the weather.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    LangerDan wrote:
    Looks like our wishes for a dog-rough "classic" have been answered:

- Weather forecast is bad - apparenly a storm with high winds is moving up from Spain and shout hit the area

- Roads are rubbish - Landbouwkredit punctured 11 times on their recce yesterday

- The finish has been changed and now has a run through the town.

Exactly.

One word: yes
  • Gilbert was still stuck in Monaco last I read due to strikes.

large_353944.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I wonder if Pip might not show so well this year? He'll definitely think he can win M/SR or Ronde this year, whereas previously this race has been an early season banker he's aimed for.

I haven't PTP'd him but wouldn't be surprised if Van Arm[insert spelling here] comes in well, supported by Pip, with payback in the Ronde.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:
    I wonder if Pip might not show so well this year? He'll definitely think he can win M/SR or Ronde this year, whereas previously this race has been an early season banker he's aimed for.

I haven't PTP'd him but wouldn't be surprised if Van Arm[insert spelling here] comes in well, supported by Pip, with payback in the Ronde.
    Interesting possibility.

I don't think Van Avermaet (that is who you mean right?) has the pace to not get dumped on the climbs by the likes of Boonen etc.

Silence Lotto will be pleased just to actually be part of the winning group in Flanders.

Didn't do that once last year.
  • calvjones
    Yes, Van Wossisname. Podium last year, after everyone fell over IIRC?

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    Just checked - 4th

Strava is not Zen.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    is it on telly in england or online somewhere?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    shakey88 wrote:
    is it on telly in england or online somewhere?

Not on TV. If there's an online stream, someone will no doubt post it here.

I'm edging towards Haussler for my pick. He got caught just before the line last year with Langeveld. Decent sprint if it's a small group, and he can cope better than most if the weather turns bad.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    He had knee trouble in the Tour of Algarve last week so might not be fully fit.
  • rick_chasey
    Interesting that no-one's won het volk and flanders in the same year.

You must need some decent form to win this one, but it's not possible to hold that form all the way to April.

If Boonen wins it means one of two things. Either a) he's peaked to soon, which would be the most likely scenario, or b) he's on some super mega year where even at non-peak he can win.

For the others, I'm inclided to think a win year means they've peaked too soon.

I certainly think Haussler would have been in with a really good shout in flanders and roubaix had he not peaked for MSR....
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

You must need some decent form to win this one, but it's not possible to hold that form all the way to April.

Het Volk and Paris-Roubaix have been won in the same year on several occasions, so I would imagine that HV/Flanders is possible.
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:

Het Volk and Paris-Roubaix have been won in the same year on several occasions, so I would imagine that HV/Flanders is possible.

Touché

Still think it's tricky to hold form from end of Feb to mid-April.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    johnfinch wrote:

Touché

Still think it's tricky to hold form from end of Feb to mid-April.

Tricky, certainly. I believe Fab C mentioned his win in Milan-San Remo having a negative effect on his northern classics season. Also if you take a look on wikipedia at the years in which riders did the HV/Roubaix double, well let's just say that they were before more stringent dope controls came into force, so maybe that helped.
  • calvjones wrote:

Van Avermaet DNS
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    lucybears wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Van Avermaet DNS
    According to Sporza he's ill, missed the team recce, but is starting normally
  • FJS wrote:
    lucybears wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Van Avermaet DNS
    According to Sporza he's ill, missed the team recce, but is starting normally

looks like he will start. Also Haussler
    “I’m definitely going to start,” he promised. “The way I am feeling now, I can ride but I’m definitely not at my full strength.
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3225/ ... sblad.aspx
    & Steegmans
    "The two training rides have convinced me that I am able to play a role in both weekend races"
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3220/ ... eners.aspx
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Will be on Sporza's Canvas+ from 1400 (scrambled Belgian channel - hopefully on streaming tho')
    http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/tv_radio#
    Also they have Kuurne - Brussels - Kuurne but this too is likely not available on TV :(
  • rick_chasey
    Sporza's internet streams are usually exclusive to those in Belgium unfortunately.
  • andyrr
    Sporza's internet streams are usually exclusive to those in Belgium unfortunately.
    Not always - I know I watched at least 1 race last year - 1 issue I think is the time difference which I seem to recall meant that I missed the 1st hour, but I think can be resolved by setting the PC clock 1 hour ahead. Could be talking mince tho'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Yeah, I remember doing the clock trick a few times last year, although I can't remember what channel it was for... definitely Belgian though.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Not on TV. If there's an online stream, someone will no doubt post it here.

as far as i know, rtbf-streams are not geo-restricted:

http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/autres-courses/suivez-omloop-het-nieuwsblad-en-video-67925
  • rick_chasey
    Anything for Sporza coverage!

There's none better.

Wuyts is quite simply the best commentator ever.
  • andyrr
    Real shame that RTBF is off-air now but it's race coverage in 2009 was much poorer than previous years maybe indicating it's lack of money to pay for the rights. Their commentators also I found (despite my minimal comprehension of the language) to be ace - better than any English-language ones for picking out riders etc.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Is Haussler playing a Cavendish leading up to MSR last year - saying he isn't fit/ready/going full gas when he actually is?

(I know he was injured - just wondering if he's playing it up a bit)
  • rick_chasey
    Pokerface wrote:
    Is Haussler playing a Cavendish leading up to MSR last year - saying he isn't fit/ready/going full gas when he actually is?

(I know he was injured - just wondering if he's playing it up a bit)

I thought Haussler was making sure he peaks for Flanders, rather than a couple weeks before like he did last year.
  • Weather forecast looks truly awful - torrential rain and high winds :D
    No snow so I guess they'll still run it though
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • rick_chasey
    Weather forecast looks truly awful - torrential rain and high winds :D
    No snow so I guess they'll still run it though

YES!
  • Heavy rain and average winds of 20mph - brutal.
  • rick_chasey
    SO excited.

I'm like a kid before christmas.

Just hope I can get a good feed, preferably with sporza commentary.