The Apostrophe

Chip \'oyler
Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Now there is no excuse EVER

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!

Comments

• This is one of the single most confusing things for me, I'm going to print it out.

Cheer's fella'
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think that I will always be a complete failure at punctuation and I may never understand sentence structure, as is proven daily on this forum. Thanks for the help though.
  • Did one of your accounts pull you up on your punctuation?
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nothing annoy's me more than misused apostrophe's and other examples of overzealous punctuation!!!!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    :D:D:D

In my last year of primary school (1989!), we were all banned from using apostrophes. Every month our teacher would make us do a test by giving us a paragraph with no apostrophes in it and we had to fill in where we thought they should go. If you got them all right, you got the coveted 'Apostrophe Licence' and you were then allowed to use them! I never got one :(

It confused the hell out of my first secondary school English teacher when I asked if I could use apostrophes even though I had no licence.

:lol:
  • schweiz wrote:
    :D:D:D

In my last year of primary school (1989!), we were all banned from using apostrophes. Every month our teacher would make us do a test by giving us a paragraph with no apostrophes in it and we had to fill in where we thought they should go. If you got them all right, you got the coveted 'Apostrophe Licence' and you were then allowed to use them! I never got one :(

It confused the hell out of my first secondary school English teacher when I asked if I could use apostrophes even though I had no licence.

:lol:

Schweiz - Where you live is perfect for a pedantic typographer :lol:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • To be fair, i understand apostrophies, my teacher was excellent at explaining it simply :)
  • To my enduring shame & frustration I put Bishop's Bible instead of Bishops' Bible in my MA thesis. I knew it was a mistake, I just missed it. It's like a running sore in my soul that can never be healed.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Nothing annoy's me more than misused apostrophe's and other example's of overzealou's punctuation's!!!!

:roll: Fixed that for you :lol:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Nothing annoy's me more than misused apostrophe's and other example's of overzealou's punctuation's!!!!

:roll: Fixed that for you :lol:
    Simple's! :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I hate seeing straight ones ('), which are better used as mathematical symbols, rather than the typographically proper curved ones (’). Unfortunately it’s a situation that is reinforced by limitations of software and the internet. It’s even possible to identify memorial inscriptions that have been designed on computer and then machine made, rather than cut by hand, because of such typographic errors of style.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I hate seeing straight ones ('), which are better used as mathematical symbols, rather than the typographically proper curved ones (’). Unfortunately it’s a situation that is reinforced by limitations of software and the internet. It’s even possible to identify memorial inscriptions that have been designed on computer and then machine made, rather than cut by hand, because of such typographic errors of style.

+1 bang on mate. :shock:
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    non-apostrophe.jpg

Arghhh!

Arrggggghhhhhhhh for muppets who think this is wrong. It is a name ending in S and it is possessive therefore apostrophe at the end. It is not the park named St James its the park belonging to St James.

The caption is wrong as "clubs" should not have an apostrophe.

We may talk funny up here but we do know how to do correct english. Not like that lot south of the river.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    mkirby wrote:
    non-apostrophe.jpg

Arghhh!

Arrggggghhhhhhhh for muppets who think this is wrong. It is a name ending in S and it is possessive therefore apostrophe at the end. It is not the park named St James its the park belonging to St James.

We may talk funny up here but we do know how to do correct english. Not like that lot south of the river.

The raised objection was not to the placement of the apostrophe, but to the use of the wrong glyph: a single straight quotation mark, instead of a proper apostrophe – which is asymmetrical, with it's tail pointing to the left. Once you start noticing this sort of thing it gets excruciating, because nearly nobody does it right. En– and em—dashes are another fun type-nerd trap.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    I am not a fan of apostrophes, I prefer commas
  • sorry i thought this thread was about them blokes in the bible.
  • balthazar wrote:
    mkirby wrote:
    non-apostrophe.jpg

Arghhh!

The raised objection was not to the placement of the apostrophe, but to the use of the wrong glyph: a single straight quotation mark, instead of a proper apostrophe – which is asymmetrical, with it's tail pointing to the left. Once you start noticing this sort of thing it gets excruciating, because nearly nobody does it right. En– and em—dashes are another fun type-nerd trap.

mkirby, you're wrong, club's is correct in this case.

balthazar, its not it's

...end of pedantry message.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565

mkirby, you're wrong, club's is correct in this case.

balthazar, its not it's

...end of pedantry message.
    Mea culpa. I reckon I was done by my iPhone's autocorrect though..!
  • A few years ago a leisure centre cafe near me re-branded itself & put up a sign saying Living'stones (as in the explorer I presume).

After much discussion of this choice of punctuation my sister came up with the theory that someone had drummed into whoever made the sign up to put the apostrophe before the S, unfortunately they hadn't specified which one!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    The possessive of a word ending in s sometimes confuses me. In the St. James' Park for example - I have heard so-called experts on the radio say it can be either James' or James's. I would use the s' though.

In school I used to get confused with it's / its. The reason being that a comma is used to show possession so if something belonged to "it" that rule would suggest that it's would be correct i.e "It is in it's hand". I still don't know why it is incorrect when "it is in John's hand" would be correct - I just know it is. The English language is a great thing :wink:
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Pross wrote:
    The possessive of a word ending in s sometimes confuses me. In the St. James' Park for example - I have heard so-called experts on the radio say it can be either James' or James's. I would use the s' though.
    For a word ending in "s", both apostrophe after the "s" and "s's" are correct. There is sometimes confusion where no apostrophe is used; this is because the place is named after someone and not owned by them. Possibly the apostrophe in St James' Park (Newcastle) refers to its close proximity to St James Street and St James Terrace and was on land in St James Street therefore it warrants the apostrophe.
    Pross wrote:
    In school I used to get confused with it's / its. The reason being that a comma is used to show possession so if something belonged to "it" that rule would suggest that it's would be correct i.e "It is in it's hand". I still don't know why it is incorrect when "it is in John's hand" would be correct - I just know it is. The English language is a great thing :wink:
    Belonging to "it" is "it's" - without the apostrophe. "It's" with the apostrophe is a contraction of "it is". Using your sentence "It is in it's hand" and removing the contraction, we get "It is in it is hand" and that does not make sense, does it?
  • zappa1.jpg

Sorry. Wrong thread.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Belonging to "it" is "it's" - without the apostrophe. "It's" with the apostrophe is a contraction of "it is". Using your sentence "It is in it's hand" and removing the contraction, we get "It is in it is hand" and that does not make sense, does it?

I know that there's no apostrophe (now) but I don't see why it would be any different to John "it is in John is hand" by the same example. It's just one of those little nuances that complicate, the apostrophe gets used to shorten or to show possession except in the case of "it" being in possession :wink:
  • Homer J wrote:

I prefer my women to be in a comma to :wink:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Homer J wrote:

I prefer my women to be in a comma to :wink:
    inb4iprefercolons
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    edited February 2010
    Pross wrote:

I know that there's no apostrophe (now) but I don't see why it would be any different to John "it is in John is hand" by the same example. It's just one of those little nuances that complicate, the apostrophe gets used to shorten or to show possession except in the case of "it" being in possession :wink:

The easy way to decide if you need an apostrophe or not is to remember that 'its' is in the same group of words (possessive adjective) as 'his' and 'her' and as they don't take apostrophes neither does its when used to show possession.
  • To my enduring shame & frustration I put Bishop's Bible instead of Bishops' Bible in my MA thesis. I knew it was a mistake, I just missed it. It's like a running sore in my soul that can never be healed.

Maybe you should buy some more cycle related goodies to help numb the pain then ;)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    To my enduring shame & frustration I put Bishop's Bible instead of Bishops' Bible in my MA thesis. I knew it was a mistake, I just missed it. It's like a running sore in my soul that can never be healed.

I had a spelling mistake in the title of my thesis :oops: