Giro to start in DC in 2012

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2010 in Pro race
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3216/ ... ion.com%29

Looks like the insanity of it is happening
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    So wrong in so many waysl, whether the jet lagging transfer, the clash with the Tour of California for deliberate reasons, the ridiculous transfer, it's a total sell out. Washington doesn't even have a particularly big Italian population :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    How many riders will skip the Giro and go to the ToC for that?

That kind of transfer is not kosha.

Takes me more than a day to get over jet leg.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    The mind boggles. And I thought Plan de Corones was a bit of a circus :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Can't see how this is a good idea, all that travel for the prologue :roll: plus you've used up one of the rest days at the start of the race, are they going to put another in, or are they just going to have some very tired riders?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    It's been coming for a while - the organisers have shown little regard for the well-being of the riders for quite a few editions, with some ridiculous transfers and some ludicrous stages.

Surprised they aren't being given pedalos for a stage across the Atlantic.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Jez mon wrote:
    Can't see how this is a good idea, all that travel for the prologue :roll: plus you've used up one of the rest days at the start of the race, are they going to put another in, or are they just going to have some very tired riders?

Not just a prologue, but possibly several stages:

"A second stage would stay within the city for a circuit that finishes on Pennsylvania Avenue, and there have been discussions about having an additional two or three stages on the east coast before the race would head back overseas to Italy" CyclingNews
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    This might work, if they put 2 rest days together after the US bit, then some initially easy Italian stages. Otherwise, meh, crap idea,

In fact, crap idea full stop.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Jez mon
    Pokerface wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Not just a prologue, but possibly several stages:

"A second stage would stay within the city for a circuit that finishes on Pennsylvania Avenue, and there have been discussions about having an additional two or three stages on the east coast before the race would head back overseas to Italy" CyclingNews

Fair enough, I was just going on the article posted, which says

If the current information is correct, the prologue will be the only stage to be held on American soil; the riders, race officials, team staff and journalists will fly out that Saturday evening, land in Italy on Sunday, have a rest day on Monday and then resume one day later.

Regardless, it's a silly idea. A poorly designed circuit race idea could result in a bit of a crash fest which would be awful.

Besides if they have just a prologue then they only need to take one bike per rider (give or take some spares) but if they have stages as well, then you've virtually doubled the luggage.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Jez mon wrote:
    Regardless, it's a silly idea. A poorly designed circuit race idea could result in a bit of a crash fest which would be awful.

Criteriums are the yank's speciality, so they should manage a good crit course.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Huh? What the hell are the organisers thinking?
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    edited February 2010
    iainf72 wrote:

Europeans can complain all they want but for us cycling fans in the U.S. - YAY!! I LOVE the Giro, and to actually have a chance to travel (without spending $3000) to see the GIRO is such a once in a lifetime thing that I'm ecstatic. The best we ever get is the Tour of California and occasionally (when they're not cancelled) the Tour of Georgia, etc.

Go RCS!!

Cyclingnews is reporting there's a chance they'll do 3 stages here in the U.S.!!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/washing ... into-place

The Giro is my favorite race but the TDF frequently gets more of the top guys because it's more popular with fans throughout the world. Maybe this is finally the push the Giro needs to move up a notch!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon wrote:

Criteriums are the yank's speciality, so they should manage a good crit course.

Good point.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Not cool at all, seems so completely daft to do that :( But fair play to you fans over in the states, indeed at least you get to enjoy a Grand Tour in the flesh!!
  • Hey why not have the TdF start in Quebec and finish in New Orleans?
    Crazy idea.
  • Kléber
    Or move the Tour of Lombardy to China's Xian province?
  • Kléber
    donrhummy wrote:
    Europeans can complain all they want but for us cycling fans in the U.S. - YAY!! I LOVE the Giro, and to actually have a chance to travel (without spending $3000) to see the GIRO is such a once in a lifetime thing that I'm ecstatic. The best we ever get is the Tour of California and occasionally (when they're not cancelled) the Tour of Georgia, etc.
    I have some sympathy but the race is the Giro and half the experience of watching the race is the Italian geography, culture and even the quant villages and twisting roads. Watching the bunch roll through Virginia just won't be quiet the same. You'll have pro racing close to home but the Giro d'Italia? Io no credo
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I can understand the Tour spilling into Switzerland and the Giro popping into France e.t.c But if the Giro goes to the USA, it's not really the Giro any more is it. There's a difference between visiting bordering/nearby countries and going to another continent all-together.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Kléber wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    I have some sympathy but the race is the Giro and half the experience of watching the race is the Italian geography, culture and even the quant villages and twisting roads. Watching the bunch roll through Virginia just won't be quiet the same. You'll have pro racing close to home but the Giro d'Italia? Io no credo

Really? Because I have never seen you complain about ALL of their starts outside Italy (almost every year) when it's in Europe.
  • iainf72
    donrhummy wrote:

Really? Because I have never seen you complain about ALL of their starts outside Italy (almost every year) when it's in Europe.

Serious question Don : Have you ever flown from the US to Europe? I have a few times and you feel absolutely hammered. In Europe, your transfers will be about an hour on a plane max with no time zone change.

The Giro starting in Belgium, Holland or Greece is a very different thing to it starting on the east coast of the US.

While I have sympathy for what you say about seeing the race, it's unfair on the riders. I think McQuaid made some noises about not allowing it.
  • Kléber
    I have complained! I'm too lazy to search for the post but I'll say it again: I think the idea of a start in Holland was ridiculous enough.

I can see the Tour getting away with it because it's the largest race in the world and France is only a day or two's ride away.

Remember a big motivation for the start is an attempt by RCS to undermine the Tour of California. Surely US cycling fans should be supporting their home races?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Huh? What the hell are the organisers thinking?

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY?????? :? :?
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    donrhummy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Go RCS!!

Cyclingnews is reporting there's a chance they'll do 3 stages here in the U.S.!!

The Giro is my favorite race but the TDF frequently gets more of the top guys because it's more popular with fans throughout the world. Maybe this is finally the push the Giro needs to move up a notch!
    Think about it,It's called tor Giro D'Italia for a reason
    It is the tour of Italy.(Not the Good ol'US of A)
    Is that so hard to understand??
    You are on a different CONTINENT.
    To get the Giro experience,you need to be in......Italy :roll:
    The best we get in Britain (excluding the TDF visits,which I disregard,as you do not get the French experience) is the Tour of Britain,& we don't sulk,we just travel abroad to see what we want.
    so many cols,so little time!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    donrhummy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Go RCS!!

Think about it,It's called tor Giro D'Italia for a reason
    It is the tour of Italy.(Not the Good ol'US of A)
    Is that so hard to understand??
    You are on a different CONTINENT.
    To get the Giro experience,you need to be in......Italy :roll:
    The best we get in Britain (excluding the TDF visits,which I disregard,as you do not get the French experience) is the Tour of Britain,& we don't sulk,we just travel abroad to see what we want.

I agree with what you're saying but I think the flaw in your reasoning is that you perceive that these races are about the fans. It's about making money and you, the fan, is are just a small part of that process. The organizers want the Giro to be worldwide, upscale, etc.
    This translates to more money. At least in their eyes. Next stop Vegas.
  • Pokerface
    iainf72 wrote:
    Serious question Don : Have you ever flown from the US to Europe? I have a few times and you feel absolutely hammered.

Yeah, but did you fly coach or Fist Class? I hear the flight is a little easier to handle when you're not in the 'cheap seats'.
  • iainf72
    Pokerface wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Serious question Don : Have you ever flown from the US to Europe? I have a few times and you feel absolutely hammered.

Yeah, but did you fly coach or Fist Class? I hear the flight is a little easier to handle when you're not in the 'cheap seats'.

Business class most of the time :wink:
  • dennisn wrote:
    Next stop Vegas.

You could have the final stage finish on the strip, there is a "mini" Arc de Triomphe outside Paris :D

Paris_Las_Vegas_LArc_de_Triomphe.jpg
  • Jez mon
    Pokerface wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I doubt the domestiques will be flying anything other than economy.
  • Pokerface
    Jez mon wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I doubt the domestiques will be flying anything other than economy.

I was being flippant - but you are correct. Still - they are used to being treated as such so it won't be a big shock to their system or anything.

As someone who has flown that distance many times, I don't see what the big deal is. I imagine they will charter several airplanes for all the teams, etc so they won't be flying with the public.

They will be as sheltered as possible and will have people to take care of the logistics. A day or two off, especially at the start of the Giro, won't hurt them much.

Is it a good idea? Nope. Probably a pretty silly one - but it IS about $$ and it WILL help raise the profile of cycling in the US.

In the end, it will probably turn out to be less stressful than a day of racing for many of them!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I've flown Cattle and Business class, and once even got upgraded to Virgin's Upper Class, I don't think it makes much difference to how you feel when you arrive, OK it's more comfortable but you still feel zapped when you fly west to east. Better classes have you quicker through the airport but they'd all get special handling at the airport anyway.

Surely one real problem with this is that a serious number of top riders will just duck the race because of travel madness? Maybe not, but it must make some of them think about it.

I wonder if the chances of DVT are increased when you're red cell count is higher they way it is for these 'super trained' athletes.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Are there not more Italians in NOO YOIK?! :lol: