Can I run 700x32 tyres on Mavic Kysirium Elites?

snakeeater
snakeeater Posts: 113
edited February 2010 in The workshop
Hi, I want to turn my winter training bike into a commuter/part tourer. Its already got panniers but currently on a set of Kysirium Elites which I used to race on.

Can I put some Continental Touring Plus Tyres (wire) 700x32 or are there restrictions with the width of tyre on narrower profile rims? Ive already checked that the tyre width clears the stays and forks so no proble there.

Thanks.

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    If you go on Mavic's website it should tell you the max width tyre the rim can take. As it is a road race wheel I would say max is 28C which is the max width my Open Pro Cds can handle. Maybe only 23/25C tyres though. I guess you could ignore this and still fit 32C tyres if there is space in the forks and rear frame but if 32C is technically too wide for the rims and something happened resulting in injury or damage you would be rather up a creek so to speak.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • 28mm seems to be the biggest tyre that Mavic recommend.

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/ksyr ... 163.1.aspx

compatability
    "ETRTO size: 622x15C
    Recommended tire sizes: 19 to 28 mm
    Tire: clincher"

ETRTO (European Tyre Rim Tech Org) 622 x 15c is the rim size.
    This is worth a look at.:
    http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/pdf/techinfo.pdf
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I know guys that race CX tyres on Mavic wheels without any issues, these are generally 30mm or 32mm tyres.

As far as I can tell, my CX wheels are normal road wheels with 32" CX tyres on.
  • SBezza wrote:
    I know guys that race CX tyres on Mavic wheels without any issues, these are generally 30mm or 32mm tyres.

As far as I can tell, my CX wheels are normal road wheels with 32" CX tyres on.

Vittoria CXs are 22mm not 32mm.? :?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    My racing ralphs cx tyres are 32mm tyres, I doubt many CX racers actually race in very muddy conditions on 22mm tyres.

By CX i mean cyclo cross, rather than a model of tyre :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Would one reason be that you can run the CX tyres at a lower pressure, so they're less likely to pop off the rim?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Would one reason be that you can run the CX tyres at a lower pressure, so they're less likely to pop off the rim?

Or is it the pressure that holds the tyre on the rim.

The side walls of the rim can only cope with a limited load / force to retain the tyre beads. The side walls of fatter tyres are pulling at an angle that is more likely to pull the sides of the rim appart, and as the rim wears down (with braking, over time) the possibility of rim failure is greater.
    On narrower tyres the pressure in the tyre is pulling the sidewalls and tyre beads up and away from the rim, hence the hooks on the rim.
    But fat tyres on narrow rims are pulling the sidewall/ beads of the tyre out sideways.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I've been running 35mm marathons on a 16mm rim - haven't come off but I do wonder if I canfeel them squirm a bit sometimes

according to these guys its Ok http://www.bicycletires.com/a_49/tire_width/article.htm but I wonder