PSA: CRC now on Quidco too

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
As subject :)

I've only just noticed, I figure there might be others out of the loop too.

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Is Quidco a cashback site or something? I just noticed today that they are on http://www.topcashback.co.uk, but they don't appear to be tracking properly (and its not my computer settings).
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Aidy wrote:
    As subject :)

I've only just noticed, I figure there might be others out of the loop too.

good shout matey
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • ORLY!

nice one thanks for the heads up
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    great news.

hopefully the other big ones (wiggle etc.) will follow suit...
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    PieterM wrote:
    great news.

Wiggle are too :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Am I the only person in the world who has no idea whatsoever what this post is about?

Harrumph, modern things, grrrr

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Aidy wrote:
    PieterM wrote:
    great news.

Wiggle are too :)

Looks like the Wiggle cashback has dropped to 2% now though. :(
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Am I the only person in the world who has no idea whatsoever what this post is about?

Harrumph, modern things, grrrr

Must admit, I would like to know a bit more about Quidco, too. I know as much as if you sign up, it gives you discounts for various websites, but I have no idea about the negatives...

Do members get bombarded with millions of marketing e-mails from the Quidco affiliated companies?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Quidco:

Affiliate marketing scheme. In English, when you buy something from an internet retailer, then there could be commission from that sale which gets paid to the site that directed you to the retailer. For example, if you see and ad on Bike Radar for a pair of wheels that you like the look of, you'll then be taken you to a site where you can buy those wheels. A percentage of that sale (around 2-6%, generally) would then be given to BR, because that was where you saw and clicked on the ad.

Quidco removes BR from the equation and gives the commission from a sale back to you, so you still pay the same price for the wheels, but quidco get given the %age, which they give back to you. It's not as direct as simple vouchers, but when it works, it's effectively the same thing.

This is a very simplified version, as there are al sorts of networks and optimisations that go on, but unless you're in the online ad industry, it's not worth bothering with.

It's worth signing up to quidco, as I've had very little spam from them and have had about £30 back in commissions overall. Whenever I am buying something online, I find the best price for the product, the go onto quidco, and search for the retailer to see if they offer cashback. If so, then I click on the link in quidco and buy whatever I was going to buy as normal. It's just a few extra clicks on any purchase, and a nice little bonus when it pays out.

NB: There's an annual £5 charge that gets deducted from your commissions, and cashback is not guaranteed.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Thanks for the explanation :)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    Quidco also do this new thing where they somehow track your debit/credit card number when you shop in "high street shops in person" (shock horror!!) of which Halfords is one - https://www.quidco.com/in-store-cashback/?instuh

I still can't get my head around why Halfords are giving away 4.5% when someone walks into their shop and buys something, different to online when you can compare away at pc
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Interesting on the in-store wasn't aware of that.

I've got £190 of earnings on quidco. It comes into its own when you're buying insurance pollicies/new broadband and the like.