Who else has a naughty secret to share?

R_T_A
R_T_A Posts: 488
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I know a lot of you here have several bikes, and a lot of you have road bikes. I can appreciate why you love them so much. My next upgrade would probably be something of the CX brotherhood, but that's because I like the cape :wink:

However, I still think my hybrid has been a brilliant (if not perfect) commuting vehicle for me.

I couldn't afford a nice shiny road bike so I decided to buy on the basis of an all season hack for commuting across crumbling country roads.

I did over 5,000 miles last year on my Escape and even through this rubbish weather and smacking through massive potholes, it's still running smoothly with minimal maintenance. Even the fairy has been good to me, but that may be because ITB has kept her busy :twisted:

No it's never going to be as light, fast or as sexy as most road bikes, nor as brilliant off-road as a MTB. But in terms of reliability and doing what I want it to, it's been great.

So there, I said it - I ride a hybrid and I'm not ashamed!
Giant Escape R1
FCN 8
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett.

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    *claps*

Hi, my name is Kiblams, and I have been riding a hybrid for 8 months...
  • I went to see Wolfman last night and it was good. People of a nervous disposition really shouldn't go and see it though.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I have ridden a hybrid for three years, it does everything I need it to do, cost buttons to buy, gives me a low FCN and I can scalp lycra-ed roadies/fixies/ss tarts on it. What slows me down are the red lights, which are the same regardless of the value of your bike.
  • I struggle to keep up with a local besuited hybrid-riding guy I see often coming into York. He rides like the clappers!
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Sometimes I see cycling clothing - and think wow that would look good - then I am dissapointed when it womens clothing ! (I AM A MAN!)
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I converted my MTB into a hybrid. Just need to get a rigid fork (might get round to do that this year at some point).

Other wise, has been the most versatile vehicle: even got me through the snow this winter and survived many off and on-road crashes.

I still get all excited when I ride my road race bike at the weekend, but riding a hybrid has probably just made that even more special.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I`m not technically a commuter i`m a proper cyclist, and yet I sometimes post on the commuting section.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I'm not even a proper cyclist at the moment (my cycle-commuting has been poor if not non-existent since November) and I still post here :P

I tell myself I'll put more effort in once I've moved house this weekend...

..oh, and I'm also a happy hybrider :D
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    antfly wrote:
    I`m not technically a commuter i`m a proper cyclist.

I'm not a transvestite I shave my legs for "Sporting" reasons and dance with my hands above my head wearing a too tight T-shirt. Look at my GUNS!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have knobbly tyres on a road bike and it's not a CX :shock:

Looks well 'ard!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Can I merely add that the Mighty Sheldon RIP says a hybrid has 29/700c wheels - as does wiki. If you stick slicks on a MTB its a slick MTB, not a hybrid - hence two separate fcn adjusters.

I ride a slick mtb.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • R_T_A
    The confessional box is well and truly open :lol:

I sometimes "stay at work" later and miss the little 'uns bath time.

Not that this is any way related to cycling the longer route home..
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Can I merely add that the Mighty Sheldon RIP says a hybrid has 29/700c wheels - as does wiki. If you stick slicks on a MTB its a slick MTB, not a hybrid - hence two separate fcn adjusters.

I ride a slick mtb.

Ouch! :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sarajoy
    R_T_A wrote:

I hope that's a euphemism for taking a longer bike ride as opposed to an anything-else ride... :P
  • R_T_A
    sarajoy wrote:
    R_T_A wrote:

I hope that's a euphemism for taking a longer bike ride as opposed to an anything-else ride... :P

I get a ride twice a day. She's ugly, but she's always available and never complains.

:twisted:

(It's hard enough to keep one woman happy, and now I have a little daughter to keep happy too :oops:)
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I've got flats 'n' straps on my other bike. & I work from home
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    antfly wrote:
    I`m not technically a commuter

+1

But yet, here I am!

Actually, I've just remembered, I did once ride to work, at my old job that was only a few miles away, when I had to pop in on a Saturday. But apart from that, I'm not a commuter, but you can be quite interesting over here!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Woohoo!! Hybrids corner !! :lol:

I'm also a very happy hybrid(er) sans pitchfork unfortunately (out of action due to winter /rain) :D
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    antfly wrote:
    I`m not technically a commuter i`m a proper cyclist, and yet I sometimes post on the commuting section.

Im not technically a commuter either but i do compete in two 10 mile TT races every day, one starting at home and one starting from work.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    amnezia wrote:
    antfly wrote:

Im not technically a commuter either but i do compete in two 10 mile TT races every day, one starting at home and one starting from work.

+1 Although I like to thnk of it more as an out and out race where everyone starts and finishes as different points. Its not the time thats so important its the scalping.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • ah but there is also flat bar roadies:

less than 25mm tyres, 700c flat bar
    greater than 25mm, 700c hybrid
    26" slick mtb
    knobbly, either mtb or cx
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Hybrids - "the love that dare not speak it's name" : until now - a lot of us coming out of the bike closet here :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm going to see Kiss at the Islington gig on tuesday and I don't much care for their music
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    I've got a hybrid as well..... and I prefer it over my road bike........... :oops:

Also, I have just brought a MTB despite telling her who is in charge that the Hybrid was the last bike I would need as it does everything I could ever want. Well, mud, ice and some rough tracks proved me wrong on that.

Now, do I tell her about it, or let her find it when she goes into the garage next?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    edited February 2010
    We sent our hybrid back after a month. Never ever again.

Mind you it was a fairly poor one - Spesh Globe IG8. Weighed a tonne,had almost no brakes and the hub gears were worse than useless.

Got full refund and bought a Spesh Rockhopper Disk. Much better.

I think I prefer to go either one way or the other - full on MTB or full on road bike. I find "blends" of bikes don't work too well.

However I do go out of my way to buy black gear for my Stumpy - to the point where I chose XT SPDs over XTRs and a carbon bottle cage over normal black one - oh dear... :oops: :lol::lol:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Been riding a Hybrid for 12 years; commuting on it 28 miles (45 -50 mins ea way) for the past 6 months and though I regularly scalp roadies, the time has come to change for a CX.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    ah but there is also flat bar roadies:

26" slick mtb

Query time....I ride (ride to work bike) a CX bike with 35mm tires and flat bars lower then the saddle (more aero etc..) not really a hybrid as to sporty but not technically a CX bike ...ideas?! :?

ooohh forgot...thinking of sticking drops on it (pref my road-bike position) ...what would I have created?!
  • sarajoy
    turnerjohn wrote:
    ah but there is also flat bar roadies:

26" slick mtb

Query time....I ride (ride to work bike) a CX bike with 35mm tires and flat bars lower then the saddle (more aero etc..) not really a hybrid as to sporty but not technically a CX bike ...ideas?! :?

ooohh forgot...thinking of sticking drops on it (pref my road-bike position) ...what would I have created?!
    I would argue hybrid is anything between a pure road bike and pure mountain bike - including slicked MTBs, flat-bar roadies and drop-bar bikes with knobblies (also known as cyclocross).

BUT somewhere in there is the 'town bike' which is really what all modern bikes must have hailed from... You can't really place a Pashley shopper anywhere on the MTB-Road continuum, I think it's a third point on some kind of triangle - and many hybrids are somewhere between shopper and MTB or shopper and roadie.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    If I told it wouldn't be a naughty secret anymore :wink:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    W1 wrote:
    I have ridden a hybrid for three years, it does everything I need it to do, cost buttons to buy, gives me a low FCN and I can scalp lycra-ed roadies/fixies/ss tarts on it. What slows me down are the red lights, which are the same regardless of the value of your bike.

Hmm. What hybrid did you ride, fella? And where do you start out?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."